Jason Stokes update

Accord

It's been exciting to read about all the transactions. Who I haven't seen or heard about is Jason Stokes. He sort of disappeared, and then we never heard any more about him. What's up with him?

-- George D., Florence, Ala.

A few years ago, it looked as if Stokes would be the first baseman of the future. The slugger posted big power numbers, but the past few seasons, he has been bothered by nagging injuries. The same wrist problem that has ailed him in the past acted up again, and not long ago, he had his wrist scoped. While Stokes should be ready to go in Spring Training, his injuries have certainly slowed his progress. That said, with the team expected to be so young, if he is healthy and productive, he may have a shot to contribute. But for now, it looks as though Mike Jacobs will be the everyday first baseman.

Thought I would add this. Fascinating article from five years ago.

Published Monday, August 28, 2000, in the Miami Herald

Stokes signs with Marlins

Highly touted draft pick gets $2 million bonus

BY MIKE PHILLIPS

mphillips@herald.com

He's actor Brendan Fraser's look-a-like with the

kind of raw power that makes big league scouts

drool.

And now Jason Stokes is a Marlin.

Stokes, Texas high school baseball's answer to

Mark McGwire, ended his summer-long holdout

and signed with the Marlins on Sunday, accepting

a $2 million signing bonus.

Stokes, Florida's second-round pick in the draft,

and his adviser (agent) Brian Peters had originally

demanded $2.5 million. He had threatened to

attend the University of Texas, which begins

classes Wednesday, but for the straight year the

Marlins waited and finally negotiated a deal at the

last minute.

A year ago it was Texas pitching phenom Josh

Beckett, the overall second pick in the draft, who

signed a four-year deal with the Marlins worth $7

million just before classes began at Blinn Junior

College in Texas.

The consensus was that there were no players

who compared with Beckett in this year's draft,

which was considered by many as one of the

weakest in years. The Marlins took San Diego high

school first baseman Adrian Gonz?lez, who signed

for $3 million, with its first pick in the draft, and got

a bonus by getting Stokes with their second pick --

42nd overall.

Stokes, who was rated by Baseball America as the seventh-best prospect in the

nation and best power hitter in the draft, was projected to go in the top 10 picks.

Stokes is only 18, but he's 6-4 and 230 pounds and still growing. He set a Texas

high school home run record, hitting 25 homers for Coppell High this season. He

hit .536, drove in 63 runs and was Gatorade's High School Player of the Year.

``We felt like we got two first-round picks,'' Marlins scouting director Al Avila said.

``There was no doubt about it when he fell. It was a no-brainer. We were elated.

``It's very rare you get a guy with that kind of power. He is extraordinary. He has

average speed for an outfielder, and his power is off the charts.''

The reason Stokes fell in the draft is because of the question of signability, but

Avila never doubted the Marlins would sign him.

``We knew he had a desire to play. That was the main thing,'' said Avila, whose

initial offer in June was $1 million. ``We had an accurate feel of what it would take.

It was a risk, but we had a real good idea of what it would take to sign him and we

were right there. Otherwise, we wouldn't have taken him.''

Stokes, who wears size 16 shoes, showed off his raw power Saturday when he

took batting practice with the Marlins. He hit seven home runs, sending one ball

over the 434-foot sign in center and another even farther, a shot that cleared the

auxiliary scoreboard in center -- an estimated 460 feet.

``I've never seen anybody with this kind of power out of high school,'' Marlins

manager John Boles said. ``It's exciting to have this kid in our organization. They

are hard to find. This guy has easy power. You see some guys who are grunting

and groaning, but not him. He's just a powerful guy.''

The holdout cost Stokes a season in the Gulf Coast Rookie League. He will begin

his pro career playing in the Marlins Instructional League, which begins Sept. 15,

and he will probably be in the Rookie League next summer. Stokes was just

happy to end the ordeal.

``It is a real relief,'' he said. ``This summer was real hard. It's a burden off my

shoulders. I'm glad to get it done. Right now, I'm just thinking about baseball. I'm

not worried about the money.

``I couldn't have been picked by a better ball club. I'm going to everything I can to

get here and help them win and put people in the stands.''

http://baseball-fever.com/archive/index.php/t-2621.html

You really have to hope that some of these guys who conceivably felt at some time in 2005 that baseball just might have passed them by (using Stokes as an example, seeing Carlos Delgado sign a multi-year deal) are now working their butts off to prepare for what may be the biggest and best chance they'll ever have to show they belong in the major leagues.

Not just Stokes, but for so many guys, the job is there for them to earn. You've got a new manager, new coaching staff, all the prejudices of the past, real and imagined, will be gone. Girardi is going to bring with him the 25 best players he can assemble. Period.

If they come in ill-prepared or not ready to give it 110% from day one, shame on them, they will have wasted the opportunity of a lifetime.

Stokes just can't stay healthy, that's the biggest problem. You can work and work and work, but if your body lets you down, there's nothing you can do about it, just ask Griffey.

I'm going to be rooting for him to finally put it together, lord knows he's probably one of the three or four most talented players we've taken on draft day, it's a shame it hasn't worked out so far...

I've met Stokes and he's a nice guy but if the Marlins bought the bluff he was going to College they got fooled badly. He really didn't seem the college type.

Doesn't matter if you're a college guy or not when you're the best player on one of the three or four best teams in the nation.

It's not college they were worried about, it was him going back into the draft looking for first round money.

Stokes just can't stay healthy, that's the biggest problem. You can work and work and work, but if your body lets you down, there's nothing you can do about it, just ask Griffey.

I'm going to be rooting for him to finally put it together, lord knows he's probably one of the three or four most talented players we've taken on draft day, it's a shame it hasn't worked out so far...

Its funny they mentioned Mcgwire, cause he had a hard time staying together as well. When he finally did, we all saw what happened.

I was listening to Rob Dibble on the Show this afternoon and he mentioned how he probably knew 24 or so guys in the minors who had just incredible ability but just never went anywhere for various reasons. Being a top ten prospect is no guarantee of anything. Stokes could very well end up being a prime example as could Jeff Allison. The guys who succeed are the ones who really work at it, not necessarily the guys with the most talent.

Joe Girardi commented on his philosophy as a new manager tonight. Basically what he plans on telling the guys is the one thing they can control is how hard they work and whether they show up everyday to play the game right. The guys who work the hardest are the ones who are going to play.

It's just the right message for a team of budding superstars. I believe Joe is going to be perfect for this team this season.

Joe Girardi commented on his philosophy as a new manager tonight. Basically what he plans on telling the guys is the one thing they can control is how hard they work and whether they show up everyday to play the game right. The guys who work the hardest are the ones who are going to play.

I could see Cabs and Girardi clashing quite often this season

I could see Cabs and Girardi clashing quite often this season

Good. From the sounds of things Cabs needs a swift kick in the butt......and Girardi will deliver it if needed.