Bats: R Throws: R HT: 6-2 WT: 195 DOB: November 7, 1984

Year Team League G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO W L

SV ERA

2004 DID NOT PITCH

2005 Greensboro A 17 17 94.2 86 49 44 13 40 83 5 4

0 4.18

3 Minor League Seasons 20 20 103.2 93 51 45 13 44 94 5 6

0 3.91

A first round pick in 2003, Jeff Allison's life nearly ended in 2004, when he got himself addicted to drugs. Getting hooked on oxycontin was bad enough, but an experiment with heroin ended in overdose and almost killed him. Allison is clean now, and returned to the mound last spring. He showed off his trademark hammer curveball, but his fastball velocity was down a bit (88-92 rather than 92-94 pre-drugs), and his control was inconsistent. Given the long layoff and the nature of his problems, his performance was pretty remarkable overall. I have no idea what will happen here. He has to show not only that he can stay clean drug-wise, but that the emotional issues that led him to drug use in the first place don't manifest themselves in different ways. Grade C.

Kris Harvey, 3B-OF, Florida Marlins

Bats: R Throws: R HT: 6-2 WT: 195 DOB: January 5, 1984

Year Team LG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG

OBP SLG

2005 Clemson NCAA 64 245 60 83 11 0 24 69 16 44 1 0 .339

.386 .678

Jamestown A- 65 263 34 79 14 3 9 38 9 60 4 0 .300

.320 .479

1 Minor League Season 65 263 34 79 14 3 9 38 9 60 4 0 .300

.320 .479

Kris Harvey's dad Bryan Harvey was a top-notch major league closer, and Kris himself has been known to hit 95-96 MPH as a pitcher, but the Marlins prefer him as a position player, picking him in the second round last year out of Clemson. He has excellent power, and brought most of that forward to professional baseball. He also has very weak strike zone judgment, and unless that improves, he will have a hard time maintaining his batting average and OBP at higher levels. His strong arm plays well at third base, though he needs more experience to iron out his footwork at the hot corner. If that doesn't come around, he could end up in the outfield, where his good running speed and arm strength will work fine. Harvey could end up being a terrific player, but there is also a not-insignificant risk that he could end up being a big bust. He has to get the strike zone under control. Grade B-, high upside but riskier than many college picks.

Jeff Van Houten, OF, Florida Marlins

Bats: R Throws: R HT: 5-10 WT: 175 DOB: November 14, 1982

Year Team LG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG

OBP SLG

2005 Arizona NCAA 59 250 61 87 18 3 9 67 31 40 2 1 .348

.426 .552

Jamestown A- 62 226 35 64 18 2 7 36 24 41 2 5 .283

.363 .473

1 Minor League Season 62 226 35 64 18 2 7 36 24 41 2 5 .283

.363 .473

Van Houten was selected in the 13th round last June, from the University of Arizona. He was a very successful college hitter, but scouts didn't like him much because of his size. He is listed at 5-10 but looks more like 5-8. He has a good bat, though, and he acquitted himself well in his first look at pro pitching, posting a +26 percent OPS in the New York-Penn League. Van Houten has average speed and a strong arm, but may be a tweener at higher levels, lacking the power to play a corner, but not running quite well enough to play center. I think he will continue to hit, but it is unclear how he fits into Florida's plans. Grade C.

Yusmeiro Petit, RHP, Florida Marlins

Bats: R Throws: R HT: 6-0 WT: 180 DOB: November 22, 1984

Year Team League G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO W L

SV ERA

2004 Capital City A 15 15 83.0 47 29 22 8 22 122 9 2

0 2.39

St. Lucie A 9 9 44.1 27 9 6 0 14 62 2 3

0 1.22

Binghamton AA 2 2 12.0 10 6 6 0 5 16 1 1

0 4.50

2004 Binghamton AA 21 21 117.2 90 41 38 15 18 130 9 3

0 2.91

Norfolk AAA 3 3 14.2 24 16 15 5 6 14 0 3

0 9.20

4 Minor League Seasons 76 75 401.2 303 148 121 27 91 491 28 20

0 2.71

I get a lot of questions about Yusmeiro Petit. He's not a big guy, but he puts up gaudy statistics, especially in the K/BB department. His strikeout rate is strong, too. His fastball has gotten a bit faster and is now a low 90s pitch, which makes his slider and changeup more effective. Many scouts still aren't that impressed with his stuff. . .one informed Eastern League observer told me via email that Petit will get killed in the Show?. . ., but he has an extremely deceptive delivery and hides the ball well. Hitters have a hard time getting a good read on him. Or at least they did before he was promoted to Triple-A, where he lost three starts and was hit hard. How seriously should we take the Norfolk numbers? The sample is very small, and given everything else he has done the last two years, we shouldn't overreact. But it is a clear sign that he shouldn't be promoted too quickly in 2006: he needs more time. One warning marker: he is an extreme fly ball pitcher, giving him less of a margin for error than other guys, at least in terms of the home run. He remains a Grade B+ and among the better pitching prospects in the game. But he has to be handled carefully, and if he is pushed too fast, there's a good chance he will struggle. He went to the Marlins in the Carlos Delgado trade, and will be given an opportunity to make the rotation. It will be tempting for them to insert him in the rotation immediately, but it might backfire.

Petit is fascinating isn't he? All he does is strike people out, and yet everything written is that he doesn't throw hard, or have good stuff, and that he won't make it. I'm excited to see him.

He really is an enigma. I'm looking forward to the spring, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

One warning marker: he is an extreme fly ball pitcher, giving him less of a margin for error than other guys, at least in terms of the home run.

Low % ground ball pitcher; that may be one reason he isn't flaunted as a #1. But in DS, I dont' think that would be much of a problem

Baseball America:

Do you think Petit's stuff is good enough to get guys out in the major leagues? how would you compare him to a Greg Maddux?

Matt Meyers: At this point, I think it is pretty clear Petit will be able to get guys out in the majors. Greg Maddux comparison's are just not fair to either player though. Maddux is one of the greatest pitchers ever. I like to compare Petit to Rick Reed for Mets fans and at his peak Reed was an excellent starter who was occasionally dominant. Not to mention the fact Reed used to be referred to as a "poor man's Greg Maddux."

Baseball America:

Do you think Petit's stuff is good enough to get guys out in the major leagues? how would you compare him to a Greg Maddux?

Matt Meyers: At this point, I think it is pretty clear Petit will be able to get guys out in the majors. Greg Maddux comparison's are just not fair to either player though. Maddux is one of the greatest pitchers ever. I like to compare Petit to Rick Reed for Mets fans and at his peak Reed was an excellent starter who was occasionally dominant. Not to mention the fact Reed used to be referred to as a "poor man's Greg Maddux."

Rick Reed for Gathright. Do it. Do it.

You know who is most like Maddux on our staff? I'd say Nolasco.

Baseball America:

See, you missed the point.

It's unfair to compare a minor leaguer to a future Hall of Famer. When you accomplish something in the minors, comparisons to an accomplished major leaguer is usually the cieling. When you accomplish something in the majors, then the HOF comparisons can begin.

Baseball America:

See, you missed the point.

It's unfair to compare a minor leaguer to a future Hall of Famer. When you accomplish something in the minors, comparisons to an accomplished major leaguer is usually the cieling. When you accomplish something in the majors, then the HOF comparisons can begin.

I got the point. But I'd still do Petit for Gathright, no doubt in my mind.

Anyone have any ideas as to how Petit strikes out so many hitters with so few walks considering without ace stuff? Incredibly advanced knowledge of the game? Tireless student of film and hitter tendencies? Deceptive delivery (dont think so)?

I like him a bunch and am still against trading any guys from our top tier for Gaithwright, but I guess it's happening and I'll have to deal. It may turn out OK anyway.

Petit is fascinating isn't he? All he does is strike people out, and yet everything written is that he doesn't throw hard, or have good stuff, and that he won't make it. I'm excited to see him.

He really is an enigma. I'm looking forward to the spring, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Isn't he more of an enigma wrapped in a riddle?