US Automakers

Das Texan

We have a British-built Honda CR-V currently and an American-built Honda Odyssey, but the fact is that for the dollar, American cars are bigger, have stronger engines, are capable of doing more things, and are more worry-free. I don't worry taking a Jeep Liberty 4x4 into the mud lots around Florida like I do our AWD CR-V.

Never driven a GM product, but I have driven Chrysler (Dodge and Jeep are included in this), Ford (namely the Taurus), Honda (we own 2, we have owned a total of 5) and Toyota products....and I can tell you that I found major fault with the Toyota's plastic work and engine. It was a brand new 1997 4Runner and we dumped it for a 1999 Grand Voyager. Fact is that American cars are still a whole lot easier to find, buy, and own than imports.

BTW, go sit in a 2006 Honda Accord EX ($22,450; Built in USA) and then go sit in a 2006 Chrysler 300 ($24,200; Built in USA) and then try to argue the Honda is better for the dollar. I love Honda, but their cars are getting uglier and more over-priced every year. The 2003 Odyssey we have is a horse, but the 2004 CR-V makes us regret we traded in the 1999 CR-V we had. It has had AC problems twice already and Honda fought bitterly to avoid paying out via warranty. The last trip to the dealer saw us in a rental Jeep Liberty and that will be our next purchase as we add a third vehicle in early 2006.

Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious. It's obvious you guys have never been to an auto show or read a car magazine.

Beware of car magazines and auto shows as your only base of info. The Chevy Malibu from 1996-2003 wasn't exactly the best family sedan out there yet it was the Motor Trend Car of the Year when it came out.

We don't have to read a magazine or go to an auto show to know whether certain brands of cars are dependable or not. Experience is sufficient.

You do realize that basing your opinion on one car out of hundreds of thousands of cars is a little bit ridiculous, no?

Also, the Chevy Malibu never won Motor Trend Car of the Year and I always take the "Car(s) of the Year" with a 75,000 ton mountain of salt anyway. My whole point is that you guys fail to realize that if car A makes 200hp with a V6 and car B makes 200hp with an I4, it really doesn't say much about engineering as the cars can be considerably different.

We don't have to read a magazine or go to an auto show to know whether certain brands of cars are dependable or not. Experience is sufficient.

You do realize that basing your opinion on one car out of hundreds of thousands of cars is a little bit ridiculous, no?

Also, the Chevy Malibu never won Motor Trend Car of the Year and I always take the "Car(s) of the Year" with a 75,000 ton mountain of salt anyway. My whole point is that you guys fail to realize that if car A makes 200hp with a V6 and car B makes 200hp with an I4, it really doesn't say much about engineering as the cars can be considerably different.

perhaps, or just that some engineers are much better than others.

That's not what I was basing my opinion on. I'm basing it on my own experience (with three different cars) and the experience of the many people I know. The general consensus among the people that have posted so far is that the Japanese are higher quality. And the fact that Japanese cars are selling as well if not better than American cars suggests that the market agrees with us. The best evidence of quality over time is, in my opinion, the market.