Miami QB outlook, post your thoughts please.

Fishfan79

Here is my thoughts for Miami for the QB's out there this year.

QB Gus - yes he was inconsistent but if we do draft someone it most likely will take a couple of years to develope them. Here is my list of possible's here and thoughts on them.

1. McNair - Could be a cap loss (owed 50 million signing bonus). If he could stay healthy he does have the arm for the system and if we drafted someone like young I wouldnt mind him for a mentor but I doubt it would happen.

2. Culpepper - Supposedly, he will be available for the right price. What is the right price? I am not really sure, but most likely they will ask for a 1st for him because he is a franchise QB. Now he isnt due back next year till november so that should tell you how bad his knee injury was. 3 of the 4 major ligaments were gone. When he comes back he wont be the same QB most likely he was before. I think he is too expensive and north worth the risk.

3. Backups - There will be alot of backups that will become available. Really, I think the only interesting one is Gerrad, but I doubt he will become free unless we give them something useful or a high pick. They do need a RB perhaps with Taylor pretty much at the end of his years.

4. Brooks - He has alot of potential and has been benched. He has a big cap number and could be let go to walk. He really has problems with consistency and really isnt a franchise QB. But he could be a more talented Stop gap.

5. Kurt Warner? Yeah he will be cut most likely and out there again. But he takes too many sacks and our line cant protect that good honestly. Also he has problems with down the field passing now. Maybe Miami could fit him better but it would only be a stopgap really.

6. John Kitna - I think he will want a starting job somewhere or go back to Cincy. But he has the tools and has shown the ability to be a solid QB. Can he duplicate it and would be come here to start for a year or two and then take a back seat to a youngin like he did with palmer?

The draft

The following QB's are possible picks there.

Leinhart - would cost 2 number 1s to move up to get him most likely. He isnt worth it and wouldnt fit our down the field passing attack very well. Would I be interested if we were a top 3 team? Yes, but we are a 15-20 team like we were in the 80s and 90s. So no leinart for us. Projects a better Pennington

Young - The kid has all the potential in the world, but I dont think he will be there when we pick either. He is a top 5 pick range also for his pure talents and athletic ability is the best in the draft. Projects like a Michael Vick/ McNabb (if he settles for the pocket more)

Quinn - ND hype if he comes out will make him a top 10 pick also. Which means he will be long gone before we pick. I dont forsee Saban trading up as it isnt his way. He had bad numbers before this year but he does have the physical tools that would be good in the NFL. He would interest me the most of the top 3 QBs. Projects like a Hasselback/Green

Jacobs - He is a spread offensive player that had inflated stats in the mac. He has arm strength questions and a strange throwing motion. I think he stays and becomes a top 10 pick in next years draft behind vick.

Cutler - Solid prospect and kid for his abilities. His draft "stock" has been raising according to ESPN and other media outlets. He does hold the ball low and strangely, but could be fixed. Project him like a Bulger/Farve type player. He is a Gunslinger which is what our Offense is built for.

Stanton - Another QB of interest and could be found in the 3rd. He has good physical tools and coming out of Michigan State (saban used to coach there). He is a junior so could stay in but he has the abilities to be a solid QB in the NFL. His only question is durability as he is often injured and blew out his ACL last year. Think of Jeff Garcia type. I am concenred of arm strength for our system

Croyle - An SEC QB that really had not much to work with this year. He has to be on the radar around the 3rd-4th round for a pick. He would be a project but he has good arm strength and a good build. Think Byron Leftwich, big QB hard to sack

I am sure I missed one or two. But, that should be the QB situation this year for Miami. I think a few other guys might be out there. But I think I got most of the possibilities.

Nice thread! I would love to see Brooks come here and thrive in a change of scenery. I also wouldnt mind Kitna but I'm just afraid he has a turnover problem. A veteran QB with a draft pickup so the vet can mentor the rook would be great. Not sure whats going to happen with Gus. He has been serviceable this year but is no long term solution. If we had to stick with Gus it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The key is upgrading our defensive backfield. I would love to see us make a run at Ty Law and TO.

I also wouldnt mind Kitna but I'm just afraid he has a turnover problem.

He does.

I mean, he's an upgrade over Frerotte and (throwing dumb percentage out based on nothing...) 95% of the time he's a smart, heady QB who plays within the confines of his talent, but he has a tendency to just do dumb things from time to time. Real boneheaded things. Stuff that makes you want him cut immediately.

Also, it took him a long time to learn the offense here. He didn't get really good with it until his 3rd season here.

That said, I'd love to have him back as the #2, but I wouldn't blame him if he moves on.

He does.

I mean, he's an upgrade over Frerotte and (throwing dumb percentage out based on nothing...) 95% of the time he's a smart, heady QB who plays within the confines of his talent, but he has a tendency to just do dumb things from time to time. Real boneheaded things. Stuff that makes you want him cut immediately.

Also, it took him a long time to learn the offense here. He didn't get really good with it until his 3rd season here.

That said, I'd love to have him back as the #2, but I wouldn't blame him if he moves on. I was hoping a Bengal fan would chime in and shed some light on Kitna. I've always been a fan of his just never have seen enough out of him to get a good judgement.

Thanks for the insight Hugg.

He does.

That said, I'd love to have him back as the #2, but I wouldn't blame him if he moves on. I was hoping a Bengal fan would chime in and shed some light on Kitna. I've always been a fan of his just never have seen enough out of him to get a good judgement.

Thanks for the insight Hugg.

Alot of QB's take 2-3 years to truly pick up a system. Look at Denver's QB this year it is his 3rd year inthe system. That is the problem with stop-gaps though. I dont know also if he fits our system very well either with the Culpepper type passer going down the field 80% of the time.

I wouldnt mind McNair if we could keep him healthy and picked him up from Tenn. If they cut him, he would be my first choice. But, I dont think he wants to play anywhere else.

(3161 yards passing, 61.3% completion, 16 TD's 11 INt's) McNair's numbers this year.

I also was told that he is the type of QB that Saban had at LSU, a little bit of speed but not living on it. It could be interesting then.

hugg - that was about me read on kitna in seattle

he showed a lot of potential and would make enough plays that we all wanted him in as the starter

once he got there he would be good about 95% of the time, but would throw horrible Ints into the endzone or just do something stupid at the worst possible times

He had trouble with the WCO (by the way, part of the reason he has clicked with the bengals is that they brought in his OC from his seattle days) and after the TB game in holmgrens first year, it showed defenses what needed to be done to rattle him

I think he is an average QB, a great team guy, a better community guy and just an all around great story and person to have on your team ... you could do worse for a QB if all you needed was a couple year stop gap ....... but with his mileage and track record I wouldn't deem him a QB of the future (but an upgrade over gus.......)

Good post Fishfan79.

But where's the Sage Rosenfels option? :shifty

As a Jaguars fan, Gerrard is an interesting thought. He's very mobile & has a decent but not great arm. Accurate on the short stuff, hasn't made quite as many throws as I would like to have seen, but they really haven't asked him to do much. I wouldn't think the Fins would want to peg someone like him as their future, but if he were brought in with some other competition I don't think it would be a bad thing.

Speaking of former Jags backups, I really wish someone would've given Jamie Martin a starting job somewhere, I think he could've been very serviceable.

I would like Quinn, but there our chances are quite small. All the top "franchise" QB's will likely be gone before we pick so we will prolly address another posotion. I'm guessing we stick with Gus and Sage and draft a QB in the 3/4/5 rounds and we hope we find gold.

Late round possibility: Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson

My opinion (aka, the right one):

Keep Gus Frerotte as the starter for 2006. He knows the system, he's played considerably better of late, and it's just a whole lot better to have a bit of continuity at the QB.

Draft Jay Cutler in the first round. Let him get some seasoning in 2006. Let him fight it out with Frerotte in 2007 and then we'll take it from there.

Keep Lemon as the #3.

Thanks for the posts all :)

I love all of the more information and insights. I really dont know fully what we will do as I dont know of many that have predicted saban right too often.

I think I can say this though 4-12 to 8-7. Huge cap problems (about 20+ million over) to 25+ million under the cap. Huge impacts and the fans are into the team and excited again.

In Saban I trust :)

My opinion (aka, the right one):

Keep Gus Frerotte as the starter for 2006. He knows the system, he's played considerably better of late, and it's just a whole lot better to have a bit of continuity at the QB.

Draft Jay Cutler in the first round. Let him get some seasoning in 2006. Let him fight it out with Frerotte in 2007 and then we'll take it from there.

Keep Lemon as the #3.

Your quote is from the Chargers game, I assume?

I wont forget that either. It really was bulls***. Probably cost them the game the second time around.