Julian Tavarez

JonDigital

Julian Tavarez - R - Cardinals

Julian Tavarez and the Red Sox have agreed to a two-year deal with a vesting option, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal. Jan. 11 - 3:38 pm et

I think this is one of the better signings this offseason. Julian I think is one of the more underrated relief pitchers. If he only wasnt a headcase. This really adds strength to any bullpen. Good signing Sox IMHO!

Fantastic move.

Keep the ball on the ground and is disgusting against righties.

Our pen is stacked now, but I have a hunch that this means a subsequent move may be made.

Man the few times I've seen him pitch (and its mostly been against the Marlins) he just owned everyone he faced.

Passion what is the Sox closer situation for next year or is that not established yet? I think Tavarez could do a bang up job in that spot. Is Keith Foulke still around?

Excuse me if this info has already been posted somewhere before :p

Fantastic move.

Our pen is stacked now, but I have a hunch that this means a subsequent move may be made.

Man the few times I've seen him pitch (and its mostly been against the Marlins) he just owned everyone he faced.

Passion what is the Sox closer situation for next year or is that not established yet? I think Tavarez could do a bang up job in that spot. Is Keith Foulke still around?

Foulke will be given another chance now that he will be healthy. I'd say as of right now our 'pen is:

MR: No. 6 Starter (Paplebon/Arroyo)

MR: Vermilyea

MR: DiNardo

MR: Seanez

MR: Mota

MR/SU: Tavarez

SU: Timlin

CL: Keith Foulke

We have alot of arms in the minors too that will be in mid-season imo. (Hansen, Van Buren, Declaremen, Meredith [although I hope not])

But yeah, I think a move is definitely going to made with us trading a pen arm and all signs basically point to Mota. Gives us alot of options and depth.

Fantastic move.

Foulke will be given another chance now that he will be healthy. I'd say as of right now our 'pen is:

MR: No. 6 Starter (Paplebon/Arroyo)

MR: Vermilyea

MR: DiNardo

MR: Seanez

MR: Mota

MR/SU: Tavarez

SU: Timlin

CL: Keith Foulke

We have alot of arms in the minors too that will be in mid-season imo. (Hansen, Van Buren, Declaremen, Meredith [although I hope not])

But yeah, I think a move is definitely going to made with us trading a pen arm and all signs basically point to Mota. Gives us alot of options and depth. Good lord I forgot you had Mota aswell.

That's a great bullpen the Red Sox have placed together, REALLY, and Julian tavarez is just plain out nasty, he is that damn good and a bag of chips, I agree trully underrated, he is nothing compared to the guy the Marlins saw pitch when he came to the Florida Marlins With Dontrelle Willis for Matt Clement and Antonio Alfonseca if am not mistaken about how the deal was structured. He is an above average reliever that will add depth to an already loaded bullpen. Could be BIG for them if Mota returns to his form from his Dodger days when he would help Gagne with his crazy streak.

Are any of those pitchers lefties though? They should've tried to retain Myers.

I'll pass on paying him 2.5 million for under 40 innings.

The Angels have had no lefties for like 2-3 years and have had one of the best pens in the league during that time.

And the Angels have not even been back in the WS in those years. When they won it in 2002, they had 3 lefties, Schoeneweis, Lukasiewicz & Dennis Cook.

Are any of those pitchers lefties though? They should've tried to retain Myers.

I'll pass on paying him 2.5 million for under 40 innings.

The Angels have had no lefties for like 2-3 years and have had one of the best pens in the league during that time.

And the Angels have not even been back in the WS in those years. When they won it in 2002, they had 3 lefties, Schoeneweis, Lukasiewicz & Dennis Cook.

Their bullpen was not the cause for that.

Their 'pen was 2nd in ERA in '03...4th in '04...7th in '05. They won the division twice in that time and beat the Yankees (thats what the Sox first goals are...to win the division and beat the Yankees)

If you can get guys out, you can get thim out...all this LOOGY and individual batter-pitcher matchup stuff is overhyped and overdown. Good relievers can get hitters out regardless of what side of the plate they are on.