Chris Mortensen = Official BS rumor spreader

Iowa

Every year.. its like clockwork.

As soon as black monday comes in the NFL, Mort is the first one to 'break the rumor' that Kirk Ferentz is going to leave Iowa and take an NFL job.. and then of course, yesterday, Mort (saving his own ass) breaks the story that Ferentz is "withdrawing his name from NFL consideration".

KF was on the Patrick show today.. saying how he had a chuckle when he heard the story that he's withdrawing his name from consideration because he never knew he actually made his name available for the job.

So does Mort just make this stuff up as he goes? Guess what Mort, he's not going anywhere for a long time. Mort is an idiot.. he's worse than Gammons.

Every year.. its like clockwork.

As soon as black monday comes in the NFL, Mort is the first one to 'break the rumor' that Kirk Ferentz is going to leave Iowa and take an NFL job.. and then of course, yesterday, Mort (saving his own ass) breaks the story that Ferentz is "withdrawing his name from NFL consideration".

KF was on the Patrick show today.. saying how he had a chuckle when he heard the story that he's withdrawing his name from consideration because he never knew he actually made his name available for the job.

So does Mort just make this stuff up as he goes? Guess what Mort, he's not going anywhere for a long time. Mort is an idiot.. he's worse than Gammons.

Wow, calm down bro. Mort is a very reliable source for all things football. I think you're just more upset because of who he rumored wrongly.

Im not getting on you Iowa, but sports fans in general when it comes to insiders.

If Mortensen said Antonio Gates to the Bears...there would be no unhappiness because of what the rumor was. Its like that for all sports fan...if the rumor or info by an insider isnt something a fan of the team likes...the insider is off his rocker and a moron. If it is something good....then people take the words and are glowing.

Gammons is right many more times over then he is wrong (For a Marlins reference, I remember mid-season when he said Delgado would likely be dealt [i remember him being blasted when this was rumored] and alas! He was.). I'm glad these guys report alot of what they hear, makes it more interesting for us. If they only reported what is like 90% likely to go down, we would never hear anything.

Now this one thing is probably different (Although Ferentz could be posturing as to not look like he could jump to his current players or potential recruits) that there wasn't much to the rumor.

Im not getting on you Iowa, but sports fans in general when it comes to insiders.

If Mortensen said Antonio Gates to the Bears...there would be no unhappiness because of what the rumor was. Its like that for all sports fan...if the rumor or info by an insider isnt something a fan of the team likes...the insider is off his rocker and a moron. If it is something good....then people take the words and are glowing.

Gammons is right many more times over then he is wrong (For a Marlins reference, I remember mid-season when he said Delgado would likely be dealt [i remember him being blasted when this was rumored] and alas! He was.). I'm glad these guys report alot of what they hear, makes it more interesting for us. If they only reported what is like 90% likely to go down, we would never hear anything.

Now this one thing is probably different (Although Ferentz could be posturing as to not look like he could jump to his current players or potential recruits) that there wasn't much to the rumor.

Pretty much sums it up. Rumors are rumors, whether positive or negative. The sports world as a whole would be much less interesting without them. Guys like Gammons and Mortensen are great, but too many people take what they say seriously from the get-go. I enjoy hearing the speculation and then waiting to see what happens. I take their stuff as more of a "what to watch for" than "this is what's going to happen."

I just think its funny that Mort is the one who breaks the rumor... then he breaks the story that Ferentz isn't going anywhere, like ferentz denied the rumor at a press conference or something... which just obviously is Mort covering his own ass... all of this while Ferentz is on a recruiting trip.. then he gets to see that he "withdrew his name" on sportscenter, which was news to him. :lol

It just screams of Mort making up news..

Of course I'd be happy if Antonio Gates was rumored to the Bears.. but I'd want credible sources... instead of just saying "I've heard"

He's still an idiot in my book for the time being.. I usually like Mort until this part of the season. He has time to work his way off my sh*t list.

I'd also like to point out this is a touchy subject for Hawkeye fans.. :lol

I hope he stays at Iowa for a long time. He and Jim Tressel need to become synonymous with Big 10 football.

Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State and Wisconsin need to be strong every season, it's good for the conference.

I will say it's nice to have a very "college style" coach. Tress would fail miserably at the next level and knows it. Nice not to have to put up with this every off-season.