January 20, 200620 yr NEW YORK … (AP) … Cuba will be allowed to play in the World Baseball Classic, after all. The U.S. Treasury Department issued a license Friday allowing the Cubans to participate in the 16-team tournament. Baseball's first application was denied in mid-December by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control, but the commissioner's office and the players' association reapplied after Cuba said it would donate any profits it receives to victims of Hurricane Katrina. U.S. laws aimed at punishing Fidel Castro's communist government prohibit certain commercial transactions with Cuba, generally attempting to deny money. "Working closely with World Baseball Inc. and the State Department, we were able to reach a licensable agreement that upholds both the legal scope and the spirit of the sanctions,'' Treasury spokeswoman Molly Millerwise said. "This agreement ensures that no funding will make its way into the hands of the Castro regime. The Treasury is pleased to now be able to issue this license and looks forward to seeing all of the teams showcase their talents on the international stage.'' After the initial rejection, the International Baseball Federation threatened to withdraw its sanction of the tournament if Cuba was not allowed to participate. In addition, Puerto Rico threatened to withdraw as a host. "We were always positive,'' said Antonio Munoz, the promoter who paid millions of dollars to stage the first two rounds in Puerto Rico. "There were some negative people, but they were wrong in the end.'' Initial reaction among Cuban fans was positive. "Oh, magnificent! Tremendous!'' exclaimed Osvaldo Herrera, who was standing on a street corner in Havana with three other sports lovers discussing Cuban baseball. The tournament, the first in which the world's top players will participate on national teams, runs from March 3-20. The other 15 teams submitted their 60-man preliminary rosters earlier this week. Cuba won the Olympic gold medal in 1992, 1996 and 2004, and the United States won in 2000. Olympic baseball was initially limited to amateur players, but even after professionals were allowed in for the 2000 Sydney Games, major leaguers didn't participate because Major League Baseball doesn't stop its regular season for the Olympics. Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and Roger Clemens are among the big-name players on the U.S. roster, and Manny Ramirez, Albert Pujols and Vladimir Guerrero are on the Dominican team. Puerto Rico and Japan also are expected to be among the top teams at the tournament. GAME ON!!!!!
January 20, 200620 yr I dont like the fact that they are letting them play, but I did hear that Castro is going to donate all the profits to Hurricane Katrina relief. IF he really does that then good...
January 21, 200620 yr Good, now I may actually watch this. I want to see us tear the Cubans a new one.
January 21, 200620 yr Excellent news and a reasonable solution to the problem. It's not about the $$$ anyways, it's all about the competition.
January 21, 200620 yr I don't neccessarily think they should be able to play, but it's better for the actual tournament itself. And to those talking about seeing us beat them, won't happen. Only way we'd play Cuba is in the championship game and they won't make it. They'll get out of their pool, as the top 2 make it, that'll be them and Puerto Rico. But the final 4 for their side should be the DR, Puerto, Venezuela, and Cuba. I don't see them making it out of there.
January 21, 200620 yr Whoopdee doo. Until Palmeiro, Lowell, the Hernandezes, etc. play for "Cuba" it still doesn't matter.
January 21, 200620 yr Well, under the scenario that MLB players could actually play for Cuba, he would have the choice of playing for Puerto Rico or Cuba.
January 22, 200620 yr He wouldn't play for Cuba as it stands now. In other news, at least the alternate hat is pretty nice:
January 22, 200620 yr He wouldn't play for Cuba as it stands now. In other news, at least the alternate hat is pretty nice: wow i actually like those. *tries to decide if its right for me to buy one*
January 22, 200620 yr Yeah, I've been tempted over whether or not to buy it too. Just because I have the hat doesn't mean I have to root for them
January 22, 200620 yr very true but would wearing it in Hialeah get my ass kicked by some fanatical fool who mistakes me wearing it for supporting them? :lol :confused
January 22, 200620 yr Red...how appropriate. hmmm it is one of the national colors and has traditionally been the color of the uniforms worn by all cuban athletes, not what you think.
January 22, 200620 yr very true but would wearing it in Hialeah get my ass kicked by some fanatical fool who mistakes me wearing it for supporting them? :lol :confused Who knows, who cares. Just a hat. Not like you're wearing a Che shirt.
January 23, 200620 yr Red...how appropriate. hmmm it is one of the national colors and has traditionally been the color of the uniforms worn by all cuban athletes, not what you think. :lol I was just joking. They wore red when I saw them play at Camden Yards too. I actually liked that hat better. It was nearly the same, but it didn't have the flag emblem on it. They were selling them there, but I didn't buy one. It's all good man very true but would wearing it in Hialeah get my ass kicked by some fanatical fool who mistakes me wearing it for supporting them? :lol :confused Who knows, who cares. Just a hat. Not like you're wearing a Che shirt. I hate Che-shirt wearing ppl. What is that the rest of the world sees about him that I don't?
January 24, 200620 yr I hate Che-shirt wearing ppl. What is that the rest of the world sees about him that I don't? Don't get me started on the Che shirts. I've had many a debate with people who wear them, most of which have no idea who he was or what he did.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.