Reds sign Dunn to multi-year deal!!!!!

Junior

Adam Dunn has agreed to a two-year deal with a club option for 2008. Dunn will get $7.5 million this year, $10.5 million in 2007 and $13 million if the option is picked up. The buyout of that year is $500,000.

Funny, the one call I made today that wasn't returned was to Dunn's agent. Guess he was busy.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

WOOT!!!!

I LOVE THE NEW OWNER AND GM!!! :notworthy

So that's what a 248/384/518 career hitter who strikes out a ton is making these days! I'll give Dunn credit the K totals went down last year and he keeps bringing the walk totals up. If he can bring the average up he's going to be nastier.

So that's what a 248/384/518 career hitter who strikes out a ton is making these days! I'll give Dunn credit the K totals went down last year and he keeps bringing the walk totals up. If he can bring the average up he's going to be nastier.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of Dunn's either. I am just happy to see the new GM and owner making some moves. I still think WMP, Dunn, Kearns, or Girffey will be traded because Krivisky has said multiple times since taking over that this team strikes out way too much and that he hates strikeouts (from his batters).

However it is kind of hard for me to argue against a young player, who has already had seasons of 40hr 100 rbis, has a good OBP, runs fairly well, and plays multiple positions.

a 248/384/518 career line is bad?

LOL.. that's above a .900 OPS for his career.. and he's only 26/27, entering his prime.

GREAT move by the Reds....

remember, those K's and low BA are more than offset by lots of HR's and lots of walks.. he has a career SLG > .500 and OBP > .380.. jeez.

Like guys like Brian Giles, Dunn is MASSIVELY underrated.

a 248/384/518 career line is bad?

LOL.. that's above a .900 OPS for his career.. and he's only 26/27, entering his prime.

GREAT move by the Reds....

remember, those K's and low BA are more than offset by lots of HR's and lots of walks.. he has a career SLG > .500 and OBP > .380.. jeez.

Like guys like Brian Giles, Dunn is MASSIVELY underrated.

Dunn is not massively underrated. The only reason his power numbers are so good are because he plays in the Great American Smallpark. Last season, he hit only 14 homeruns on the road. Not bad, but not good for the number of Ks.

On the road, he's also a .221 hitter, with a .359 OBP, and a .446 SLG (193 points lower than his home SLG!!!). If this guy were in the NL East, and had to play in more fair parks like Atlanta, Florida, Wahsington and New York, he would be on the bench.

I love how you all bring up the fact of his numbers on the road. He still has a better OBP than most players. And the fact is, he's playing on the Reds for the next 2-3 years and I don't think the Reds are moving from Great American Ballpark! You people can be so ridiculous. I'd love to have him on the Marlins. The guy can hit the hell out of a ball.

On the road, he's also a .221 hitter, with a .359 OBP, and a .446 SLG (193 points lower than his home SLG!!!). If this guy were in the NL East, and had to play in more fair parks like Atlanta, Florida, Wahsington and New York, he would be on the bench.

omg! He's a .800 OPS batter on the road?!? That's terrible. ;)

I don't watch the Reds enough to intelligently comment, so I'll just put this out there:

Isn't the high OBP the result of intentional walks/unintentional-intentional walks? I mean, he's about 1.5/1 in BB/K's for his career, yet his OBP is outstanding. As Yankeefan said above, it's almost a walking contradiction, so I must ask is it more the product of other teams pitching around him/not pitching to him at all than it is to his working the zone?

I love how you all bring up the fact of his numbers on the road. He still has a better OBP than most players. And the fact is, he's playing on the Reds for the next 2-3 years and I don't think the Reds are moving from Great American Ballpark! You people can be so ridiculous. I'd love to have him on the Marlins. The guy can hit the hell out of a ball.

No, obviously, the Reds aren't moving fom GABP. But the point is, his stats are based upon the padding he receives from playing there. If the Reds are going to let inflated numbers influence their contract negotiations, then they are going to overvalue every player. That's not exactly a good strategy for a "small market club."

Furthermore, because of his service time (three years), this contract doesn't make any sense. He was not even close to becoming a free agent. They've essentially agreed to pay him the high end of what he might have made in arbitration, and they don't even get the guarantee of having him for any longer than they would have already. This deal doesn't make the Reds any better in the present (since Dunn would still have been under their control), and doesn't make them any better for the future (because it doesn't lock him up for the future). All it succeeds in accomplishing is spending more money than a small market team can justify.