Stadium Solution

I was pondering this question earlier this Spring, and haven't really had the chance to get anyone else's take on it. What is happening to the money that is being saved by slashing the payroll? Was that money figured into the budget when the stadium deal was proposed down in Florida? At the end of the season, the funding gap was estimated at around $70 million. Surely, if the organization saved up the money that is being saved by the reduction in team payroll, it would be approximately twice the amount needed to bridge the gap by the time 2010 rolls around. Can anyone shed some light onto this subject?

There was a series of posts yesterday about this.

Yes I wonder. If 50 million is not being spent, is it being saved for a new local stadium? pocketed to leave town? Are revenues declining this year, if so how much? Maybe it's less than 50 M. Whatever, it is a significant amount of money. Where is it going?

Do not tell me that money was lost in previous years. Simply dont go there. Assume that's not the case.

Sorry for the snarkiness Marlino.

Part of the money could be covering losses from previous years, I wouldn't rule that completely out.

But say we do, as you suggest. It could be taken out of the business as profit and moved into another venture, used as savings for a stadium, or being saved to raise payroll in the coming years for raises to Willis/Cabrera and to bring in veterans to overtake failed prospects.

Who knows though.

hey,what's up ,my first time,this is my opinion and my bottom line is that when you want something like this team and the politicians won't do enough even the owner then there's no other solution than paying,i'm in favor of the half cent or a cent until the whole money sum is completed,what the hell ,cost of live is gonna keep going up ,you wake up in the money and realize that you have to pay an extra 25 cents at the toll,houses and cars insurance keep going up but we can't afford to lose the team,it won't be easy to have another one,at the end of the road i wouldn't stand this city without the marlins,let's pay,go fish,bryandiaz

There is an article today in the providence journal about the marlins payroll. It says that Loria is schedule to make 30 million in profit this year. It also says that when the CBA is up for negotiation, the players are going to want a min payroll because of our fire sale.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

There is an article today in the providence journal about the marlins payroll. It says that Loria is schedule to make 30 million in profit this year. It also says that when the CBA is up for negotiation, the players are going to want a min payroll because of our fire sale.

Thank heavens. Now all we need is to limit the maximum payroll and we'll be fine and dandy.

I was pondering this question earlier this Spring, and haven't really had the chance to get anyone else's take on it. What is happening to the money that is being saved by slashing the payroll? Was that money figured into the budget when the stadium deal was proposed down in Florida? At the end of the season, the funding gap was estimated at around $70 million. Surely, if the organization saved up the money that is being saved by the reduction in team payroll, it would be approximately twice the amount needed to bridge the gap by the time 2010 rolls around. Can anyone shed some light onto this subject?

Welcome to the site!

I've had the same thought. Perhaps just because I believe the best market for the Marlins in South Florida. One of the limitations of the Marlins in earlier proposals is they were not committing enough of their own funds to the stadium project. The vast majority of their contribution was in terms of future rent payments. I'm hopeful the roughly $50M they'll pocket this year will be used to bridge the gap.

I'm also hopeful both Arriola and Samson will get canned so discussions can begin again with the City of Miami. (OK, so perhaps I'm halllucinating now!)

This isn't anything new. There's been rumblings of a minimum payroll ever since the initiation of revenue sharing (1996). The actions of the Royals, Pirates and Devil Rays have caused many player agents to support the idea and some larger market teams and baseball economists to oppose revenue sharing altogether.