Marlins payroll lowest in baseball since 98

Guest markotsay7

Guest markotsay7

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/conten...notes_0406.html

HOUSTON ? After the front office gutted the roster, the Marlins' new players figured their team's $14.998 million payroll would be the lowest in the major leagues.

But some players were shocked when they picked up the sports section Wednesday and learn the disparity between Florida and the team with the second-lowest payroll ? Tampa Bay at $35.4 million.

The Marlins "are my employer and my allegiance is to them, so it's not my place to question their stance on payroll, but it's pretty glaring,'' relief pitcher Matt Herges said. "The closest team more than doubles our payroll.''

Florida's total reflects the 25-man roster and does not include $3.5 million that will be paid this year to two players on other teams ? Carlos Delgado and Pudge Rodriguez ? and the retired Al Leiter.

But at slightly less than $15 million ? about 75 percent less than last year's $65 million payroll ? the Marlins' figure is the lowest for any team at the start of a season since Pittsburgh and Montreal in 1998.

It also is less than what the top 12 players make and one-thirteenth of what the Yankees pay their roster ($198.7 million), according to The Associated Press.

Baseball's average salary soared 9 percent this year to nearly $2.9 million; the Marlins' average is $576,865.

While more than half the players on opening-day rosters make $1 million or more, just two Marlins cracked the seven-figure barrier: Dontrelle Willis ($4.35 million) and Brian Moehler ($1.5 million).

"We all know no one expects anything of us,'' said Herges, whose $600,000 salary ranks fifth on a roster that includes 17 players who make the league-minimum $327,000.

"Anytime we're brought up, it's 'Dontrelle and (Miguel) Cabrera, and too bad for those other guys who are on that team.' Even Dontrelle takes offense to that.

"We don't have a chip on our shoulders. We know we're up against the world pretty much. Everyone thinks we're going to lose 100 games. But we're not a 100-loss team. No way. I'm not saying we're going to win the World Series, but I'm saying we're going to be pretty darn respectable.''

Late call: Manager Joe Girardi said he received about 25 to 30 congratulatory phone calls after his first win Tuesday night.

"The last one I got was at 2 in the morning from (Yankees hitting coach) Don Mattingly,'' said Girardi, who had just fallen asleep. "It woke me up.''

Rookie record: Shortstop Hanley Ramirez (4-for-5) and second baseman Dan Uggla (2-for-5) combined to go 6-for-10 Tuesday, marking just the second time in the past 30 years that an all-rookie middle infield combined for six hits in an April game. The other was by Mike Lansing (5-for-7) and Wil Cordero (2-for-5) for the Expos in 1993, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Satellite blackout: The three Mets games this weekend in New York will be among the 55 Marlins telecasts that will not be seen in homes with DirecTV or DISH Network, because both companies declined to pay a fee for the games that have been shifted from Pax-35 to FSN or Sunshine Network.

Wednesday's game in Houston was the first satellite blackout.

Noteworthy: Right-hander Nate Bump has cleared waivers and has been sent to Class AAA Albuquerque.

Guest Jack1

With all the mysteries surrounding the Marlins' potential and possible relocation one thing is for certain: Loria is a cheap bastard.

Ayiee! Marlins2003 is gonna firebomb my house now because apparently any little snipe at the FO is tantamount to urinating on Ghandi's grave.

I am not sure he's a cheap bastard although it certainly looks that way. The Marlins keep saying they cut payroll because they didn't get a stadium but it looks like Loria just can't afford to spend what it takes to keep a MLB team.

AND that's very sad for all the players, past and future and for the fans most of all.

With all the mysteries surrounding the Marlins' potential and possible relocation one thing is for certain: Loria is a cheap bastard.

Ayiee! Marlins2003 is gonna firebomb my house now because apparently any little snipe at the FO is tantamount to urinating on Ghandi's grave.

I'm not going to say I expected it to be this low, but the Marlins' financial situation is very different from other teams.