Crime Genre

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

Alright, here's how this thing works. Later on in this post you will see the name of the movies nominated in this specific genre. They are presented in order by how many nominations they received, and then subsequently in order alphabetically when tied with the same number of votes. The number of nominations appears in parenthesis next to the movie title (with those not having a number receiving one nomination). Number of nominations was only the number of mentions the movie received in this specific genre.

Now, with that out of the way, here's the process. Simply look at the movie list and post your own list from the list of movies on the nomination list that you believe everyone, no matter what, must see. Feel free to poke fun, argue with, or ask for explanations from other users who may post lists. The point is to draw a general consensus on which movies should be viewed by everyone. If I see a movie that's getting a lot of issue over with more than one poster on each side of the debate, I'll post up a poll and have everyone speak specifically in that topic about that movie. Now, with all that out of the way, here's the list:

Crime

Goodfellas (4)

Reservoir Dogs (3)

Donnie Brasco (2)

Heat (2)

Scarface (2)

The Italian Job (original) (2)

The Maltese Falcon (2)

Carlito?s Way

Chinatown

Crash

Dog Day Afternoon

Double Indemnity

Gang Related

Jackie Brown

LA Confidential

M

Miller?s Crossing

Once Upon a Time in America

Road to Perdition

Ronin

Snatch

Taking Lives

The Big Sleep

The French Connection

The Godfather (pt 1)

The Godfather (pt 2)

The Italian Job (remake)

The Killing

The Professional (aka Leon)

The Third Man

The Untouchables

Touch of Evil

This should get people more interested.

Guest Juanky

Goodfellas

Reservoir Dogs

Donnie Brasco

Heat

Scarface

The Maltese Falcon

Carlito?s Way

Ronin

Snatch

The Godfather (pt 1)

The Godfather (pt 2)

Goodfellas

Reservoir Dogs (both locks, so far)

LA Confidential

And I gotta' go with, and WILL make strong arguments for:

Jackie Brown

Miller's Crossing

I'm excluding The Killing even though it's one of the great heist movies.

That being said, before this thing is done, I urge you, beg you, plead you, AM TELLING YOU: It would behoove you to see Miller's Crossing. If you like the Godfather and HAVEN'T seen it, well, then you're missing out. They're different movies, but the way it's done...

It's so hard-boiled, the dialogue is great (the beginning of many conversation's start with "What's the rumpus?" which at the end of the movie is equal to to Goodfellas many lines about "bustin' balls"; it just stays with you). Also, you have John Turturro, Gabriel Byrne, Albert Finney and Jon Polito all at their finest. I just cannot explain how good I think this movie is, in terms of content in the gangster genre.

As for Jackie Brown... I don't know, it's the same way. I think, in my mind, in many ways the story is better than the one's in Pulp Fiction. From top to bottom one of the finest heist movies of all time. And you have various Quentinisms during the course of the movie (Tarantino as the robot phone message voice, various badass Samuel L. lines, the scenes between Bridget Fonda and Robert DeNiro as two stoner-criminals, and two forgotten 70's stars coming in and just plain kicking the door down, Forrester and Grier were BOTH awesome). And the SOUNDTRACK! Just a great overall effort as usual, but a very underappreciated Tarantino film.

Jackie Brown im iffy on. I did enjoy the movie but I dont know if it should fall into a "must see".

Pulp Fiction > Jackie Brown

It has been determined Pulp Fiction isn't a crime flick. They're not even competing.

Besides, Pulp Fiction isn't a heist flick. Jackie Brown is. The character's in Jackie Brown are almost better fleshed out than in any other Tarantino movie. It's subtle. And it's more like a book (based on a book, so...). I mean you have little things like long closeups as you see the gears turning in various character's heads. There's so much that's said and then so much that's unsaid (the opening where you have Jackson's character, Robbie, treating his girlfriend, Fonda, like sh*t and she puts her toe onto the rim of his cup, while only DeNiro's character notices, and yet doesn't say anything for instance). The music is better than Pulp Fiction, IMO.

And the actual heist scene(s) in the mall are just really well done.

Jackie Brown im iffy on. I did enjoy the movie but I dont know if it should fall into a "must see".

It has been determined Pulp Fiction isn't a crime flick. They're not even competing.

Besides, Pulp Fiction isn't a heist flick. Jackie Brown is. The character's in Jackie Brown are almost better fleshed out than in any other Tarantino movie. It's subtle. And it's more like a book (based on a book, so...). I mean you have little things like long closeups as you see the gears turning in various character's heads. There's so much that's said and then so much that's unsaid (the opening where you have Jackson's character, Robbie, treating his girlfriend, Fonda, like sh*t and she puts her toe onto the rim of his cup, while only DeNiro's character notices, and yet doesn't say anything for instance). The music is better than Pulp Fiction, IMO.

I was just saying Pulp Fiction is a better movie.

I was just saying Pulp Fiction is a better movie.

I don't personally think so...

But, whatever. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some people like birthday cake ice cream.

I've seen:

Goodfellas

Reservoir Dogs

Donnie Brasco

The Maltese Falcon

Chinatown

Crash

Dog Day Afternoon

Double Indemnity

LA Confidential

Miller?s Crossing

Road to Perdition

Ronin

Snatch

The French Connection

The Godfather (pt 1)

The Godfather (pt 2)

The Italian Job (remake)

The Third Man

The Untouchables

Touch of Evil

My problem is I just don't remember some of these that well. I had to look a few up on IMDB just to make sure I'd seen them.

My must sees are:

Both Godfathers

Goodfellas

LA Confidential

The Professional

Maltese Falcon

The Third Man

Reservoir Dogs

Chinatown

Double Indemnity

My list of really good movies that you should see, but you don't have to:

Crash

Dog Day Afternoon

Road To Perdition

The French Connection

I guess that's it. I actually liked all these movies, some more than others. But that doesn't mean they qualify as must sees.

Guest Fritz

Goodfellas

Reservoir Dogs

Heat

Carlito?s Way

Chinatown

Dog Day Afternoon

LA Confidential

M

Snatch

The French Connection

The Godfather (pt 1)

The Godfather (pt 2)

The Untouchables

Guest Fritz

The GodFather and The recent Italian Job were great.

What was great about the new Italian Job besides a car chase sequence? I'm not hating, I just think a case needs to be made for that movie. Seemed kind of vanilla to me.

You should hate. The movie was the definition of mediocre.

What was great about the new Italian Job besides a car chase sequence? I'm not hating, I just think a case needs to be made for that movie. Seemed kind of vanilla to me.

Yeah, that movie and Ronin really need to be removed from this list. I'd say Snatch should be taken off too, but someone will probably get upset over that.

Yeah, that movie and Ronin really need to be removed from this list. I'd say Snatch should be taken off too, but someone will probably get upset over that.

Meh, Snatch is okay. I like it more than Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and while it's not up to par with, say, Jackie Brown, I don't care if other people vote for it. But, when you nominate plain jane movies, which Snatch at least does some things originally and there a few cool scenes, I think it has to be explained.

I mean, it's still opinion. And I want to know why in this case. You should ask the same of people who voted for Snatch if you don't like it.

Guest Juanky

Snatch is an enjoyable film but to say it is a must see is a little ridiculous.

I don't see why it's so ridiculous. It's an all star cast that does a great job portraying a really cool story.

Sorry for the delay folks, been swamped with schoolwork. Going to toss up two new genres tonight.

Snatch is an enjoyable film but to say it is a must see is a little ridiculous.

I don't see why it's so ridiculous. It's an all star cast that does a great job portraying a really cool story.

Sorry for the delay folks, been swamped with schoolwork. Going to toss up two new genres tonight.

HOORAY!