Giants Sign Arrington

Passion

LaVar Arrington signed with the New York Giants on Saturday, giving him a chance to play twice a year against his former team and helping fill a huge gap at linebacker for the NFC East champions.

Arrington agreed to a $49 million, seven-year deal late Friday, according to Kevin Poston, one of his agents. Poston didn't say how much was guaranteed but Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi indicated that it includes performance bonuses.

Arrington reportedly had been seeking as much as $18 million guaranteed and a $58 million deal, one reason Arrington stayed on the market while dozens of other players signed during the first few weeks of the free-agent period.

"We needed a big, power player to add to our defense and LaVar Arrington is that," Accorsi said. "He has a presence about him and he makes us a better football team.

"The agreement is a fair deal for the player and a fair deal for the organization."

Arrington, the third overall pick in the 2000 draft and a three-time Pro Bowler, bought his way out of Washington in March for $4.4 million after a tempestuous final two seasons in which he suffered from knee injuries and was benched by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for freelancing. He took a physical with the Giants on Thursday to ensure that his knees were healthy.

He joins a defense that features the defensive end tandem of Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, who last year combined for 26 sacks. Both made the Pro Bowl and Umenyiora, in his third year, was an All-Pro.

Arrington also fills a huge hole for the Giants, who lost all three starting linebackers late last season to injuries and went into the playoffs with a backup and two recently signed free agents.

Last week, the Giants signed free agent Brandon Short, who played for them from 2000-2003. The addition of Arrington means the team could turn its attention to another position in the first round of next week's draft, perhaps cornerback or defensive tackle.

Poston said Green Bay, Jacksonville and Miami all were in the running for the 27-year-old Arrington. But in the end, he said, his client decided that he wanted to play against Washington twice a season and for Tim Lewis, New York's defensive coordinator.

"It came down to LaVar feeling most comfortable going to a good team in a familiar division with a defensive coordinator that he loves," Poston said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2417903

Have fun, bud. We'll be saying hello from DS in late January

omg

unbelievable :rolleyes:

Let me guess. You have a problem with the Dolphins being Super Bowl contenders?

You all talk about homerism...Talk about HATE baby.

You don't appreciate. You appreciHATE

omg

no, i have a problem with the fans consistantly dreaming about it.

hey i just heard Aerosmith came out with a new song for you guys, its called "Dream on"

omg

OMG :o :rolleyes:

So you expect the Steelers to win it again?

no, did i say that? nope looks like i didnt.

god its bad enough living by you people.

Funny i say one thing and you jump on me lol.

And I hate to say it, but YOU are in the minority if you think Miami won't contend.

Contend for the playoffs? yes

Contend for the Super Bowl? im not touching that with a 40-foot pole

And I rooted for Pittsburgh...

:mad :mad :mad :mad :mad

And I hate to say it, but YOU are in the minority if you think Miami won't contend.

Contend for the playoffs? yes

Contend for the Super Bowl? im not touching that with a 40-foot pole

And I rooted for Pittsburgh...

:mad :mad :mad :mad :mad

cant we all just get along?

ive got nothing against you

Pittsburgh only won the Super Bowl because of the referees.*

* - total low shot to the groin.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

too funny, you know i thought i would never hear anyone say that again, imo i can say that really made my day.

what do you want them to do? replay the whole game? Oh and the refs were a bitch in the Colts game so dont give me that crap. as a famous coach once said... eh, scoreboard?

omg

no, i have a problem with the fans consistantly dreaming about it.

hey i just heard Aerosmith came out with a new song for you guys, its called "Dream on"

omg

OMG :o :rolleyes:

So you expect the Steelers to win it again?

no, did i say that? nope looks like i didnt.

god its bad enough living by you people.

Funny i say one thing and you jump on me lol.

I was asking a question. I didnt state anything as fact. For you to not touch the Dolphins contending for the SB is rediculous. The Dolphins are one of many teams that can contend for the SB next season. As a Dolphins fan, Im gonna say Hell Yeah we're gonna go to the SB and win. As a Steelers fan you should think that too. Dont get so pissy on a message board. "god its bad enough living by you people."

I was asking a question. I didnt state anything as fact. For you to not touch the Dolphins contending for the SB is rediculous. The Dolphins are one of many teams that can contend for the SB next season. As a Dolphins fan, Im gonna say Hell Yeah we're gonna go to the SB and win. As a Steelers fan you should think that too. Dont get so pissy on a message board. "god its bad enough living by you people."

ok, thanks for telling me that. I didnt mean anything personal to anyone, i just like my team and my team only, i think we will make the playoffs but i hope for the best sometimes. And yes i hope we repeat but it wouldnt bother me if we didnt. We both like the Fish and the Heat right? so theres nothing personal in all this.

To write off the Dolphins as a Super Bowl contender, you'd pretty much have to ignore the last 10 years or so of NFL history, where there have been probably a dozen teams that were less highly regarded than the Dolphins that turned out to be Super Bowl contenders.

The idea that a 9-7 team that signed a Pro Bowl QB couldn't possibly contend for a Super Bowl is absurd to me. Is it likely? No, of course not. But to roll your eyes and call us a bunch of homers seems to be overdoing it by more than just a little bit.

I'm on the fence. It's hard to like a guy so much in college, hate him in the pros, and now have him on my favorite team again. The knees and his attitude bother me, but he's supremely talented. The only thing I can't complain about is the incentive laden deal. Base salary of 3.75 Mil, we got a deal on this one.

Looks like he got a 5.25 Mil signing bonus and has a base salary of 3.7 Mil. Rest is all incentives. Interesting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/411285p-347927c.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.