Minor League Round-up 4/30

Shamrock

AAA - Albuquerque

*After a poor year in 2005 the 'Topes are 17-7 with the best record in the PCL.

*1B Jason Stokes 3-4, 2 doubles, triple, 0K (316BA, 965OPS)

*SS-2B Robert Andino 1-3, single, walk, 0K (300BA, 836OPS)

-whoah...they tried him at some 2B today with Drew Niles moving to SS. This has definitely been a breakout season for Andino, from spring training to his performance so far in AAA.

*SP Nic Ungs 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 0BB, 5K...allowed only 1EBH (28.1IP, 2HRA, 2.86ERA)

-I've never been too high on Ungs because of his soft tossing righty ways, but he's doing extremely well in an extreme hitting league right now...he's got to be giving the management some thoughts about trying him at some point in the season as a spot-starter or long-man.

*MR Chris Resop 1.2IP, 2H, 1ER, 0BB, 2K, BS (6.97ERA, 0HRA)

-even Chris's pop (forty4) is giving him some tough love on the board here, but Chris is still extremely green to pitching pro ball despite his excellent raw stuff and warrior attitude. He still hasn't allowed a homer in over 10 innings, so the stuff must be working somewhat. I wouldn't mind giving him half a season or more in Albuquerque. There's really no rush for him.

*LH RP Joe Horgan .2IP, 0H, 0ER, 0BB, 0K (1.2IP, 1H, 0ER, 0BB, 2K)

-recently signed lefty reliever could see some time in the big club's pen after getting loose in Querque.

*MR Eddie Gaillard .2IP, 0H, 0ER, 0BB, 0K, S(1) (13.1IP, 1.35ERA, 0HRA, 1BB/14K)

-He's 35, but pitched well in limited spring innings and is part of a dominant Albuquerque pen.

Notes: We have several reliever in Albuquerque pitching lights out, but older than we'd like including Brad Clontz and Eddie Gaillard. I don't who we could send down because German and Wellemeyer are out of options, Borowski/Messenger/JJ/Nolasco are pitching good enough to stay. This leaves me with Matt Herges. I don't know his contract specifics, but I wonder if we could waive him to AAA to iron out some issues he may have or to hope someone claims him. Then we could try one of these older guys to see if they catch fire. This situation may happen anyway with the recently signed Joe Horgan, who's signing tells me Tank will get another few weeks in Carolina and then be brought up to AAA.

Joe Horgan: 29yrs old, lefty. Had a decent 2004 season with Montreal (his only MLB time) 3.15ERA, 40IP, 35H, 5HRA, 22BB, 30K, 2S....otherwise pedestrian minor league numbers.

AA - Carolina

*Carolina sports the worst record in the Southern league at 9-16

*LHSP Ben Julaniel 5IP, 2H, 1ER, 2BB, 5K, 1EBH (double) (2.17ERA, 29IP, 18H, 7ER, 0HRA, 6BB/19K)

-Julianel was converted by the Yankees to a reliever in 2003 and from there he consistently struck out more batters than innings pitched. I guess the Marlins see him as a potential starter as they've switched him back to a start with good results, although a 27yr old dominating AA ball isn't much to speak of. I had hoped Tank would be given another shot at starting...oh well. No idea where Julianel falls into our plans, but if the Marlins decide to bring up a lefty reliever the competition looks like this...Horgan, Julaniel, Tank.

*MR Taylor Tankersley 1IP, 1H, 0ER, 0BB, 1K (4BB/14K, 11.2IP, .94WHIP)

*Matt Yourkin 2IP, 2H, 0ER, 1BB, 1K (11.1IP, 6H, 1ER, 0HRA, 6BB, 13K)

-25yr old who did OK at Jupiter last season. Walks are worrisome, but he's yet another arm we have that's off to a hot start.

*LF Jose Campusano 0-4, 3K (80AB, 363BA, 19K)

-He's been said to overrun balls in CF, which is why he's playing in LF for now.

*CF Alejandro de Aza 0-2, BB, SB (75AB, 173BA, 9SB)

High-A Jupiter

*Jupiter is the worst team in the Florida State League at 8-16

*MR Harvey Garcia 1IP, 1BB, S(2) (3.75ERA, 3BB/12K)

*RF Dante Brinkley 0-1, BB, K, SB (184BA, 656OPS)

-might have injured himself on the steal because he was taken out after 2PA

*1B Brad McCann 1-4, K (198BA, 578OPS)

*CF Jai Miller 1-2, 0K (243BA, 679OPS)

-I'm rooting for this guy to bust out.

Guest Guest

Read them all too. Is Harvey still hitting the seams off the ball? And I am liking the two relievers we got from Boston more and more.

Read them all too. Is Harvey still hitting the seams off the ball? And I am liking the two relievers we got from Boston more and more.

yessir.

Yeah, they arn't doing too bad. Pretty decent throw-ins.

Well, I guess people read these, but they just don't comment. :D

Guest Guest

Hmm...Harvey might make it to Carolina this year perhaps, not really sure if he will but I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility.

And I personally dont comment in the MiLB forum very often unless asking a question, because living where I do info on the farm is hard to come by.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.