I need a good book to read

EndLine

Preferably something like fantasy, adventure, horror, or anything to do with demons, witches, and others (no Anne Rice books please).

Thought I'd entertain myself during the summer and two road trips. :plaindance

p.s. I'm so used to posting on Media Guide that I kind of posted it here. I think Outfield is the correct section?

Well, Da Vinci code is supposed to be a HELL of a good read, I'll prolly check it out this summer some time.

Hmmmm...

Honestly, if you want ALL those elements, I'd recommend picking up the first two Hellboy trades. It uses ancient folklore and myth in a comic book to create a surreal horror/adventure. It's part Indiana Jones, part Conspiracy Theory, part Ghostbusters.

The only thing is, those trades don't come cheap...

Otherwise... I'd recommend the Brother's Grimm. You can find a TOME of their stories at Barnes and Noble or Borders for 15 bucks and they're just classic tales.

If you're looking for something more contemporary, ah... I don't know, most contemporary horror doesn't do it for me. If you're looking for light reading it doesn't come any better than Harry Potter.

RA Salvatore books are great. Start with Dark Elf Trilogy and work your way up. There are like 15 books in the saga. Great stuff.

I take that back. There are probably in excess of 20. I've read them all.

Something like 3 trilogies, 3 quartets...maybe more. It's all a blur.

I just finished reading "The Blue Nowhere" for the second time. I simply love it.

When a sadistic hacker, code-named Phate, sets his sights on Silicon Valley, his victims never know what hit them. He infiltrates their computers, invades their lives, and lures them to their deaths. To Phate, each murder is like a big, challenging computer hack: every time he succeeds, he must challenge himself anew? by taking his methodology to a higher level, and aiming at bigger targets.

Desperate, the head of The California State Police Computer Crimes Division frees Wyatt Gillette, imprisoned for hacking, to aid the investigation ? against the loud protests of the rest of the division. With an obsession emblematic of hackers, Gillette fervently attempts to trace Phate's insidious computer virus back to its source. Then Phate delivers a huge blow, murdering one of the division's own ? a "wizard" who had pioneered the Internet ? and the search takes on a zealous intensity.

Gillette and Detective Frank Bishop ? an old-school homicide cop who's accustomed to forensic sleuthing ? make an uneasy team. But with a merciless and brilliant killer like Phate in their cross hairs, and his twisted game reaching a fever pitch, they must utilize every ounce of their disparate talents to stop him.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...042262?v=glance

if you like matrix-y kinda stuff read Neuromancer that book is what basically created the genre of cyberpunk in the 1980s. the guy who wrote that novel also wrote the short story Johnny Nmemonic a few years later.

You might want to try reading Frank Herbert's Dune. The book is the first in series of six and are some of my favorites (as far as fiction goes). While the books are science fiction, strictly speaking, there are elements of fantasy, action and monsters of a kind. If you do look into reading Dune, steer clear of those written by his son Brian Herbert. They are only vaguely related to his fathers books (and contradict them at numerous points) and are not a tenth of the quality of FH's books.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.