Official UFC Discussion

El Guapo

Can't wait to see the Huntington Beach Bad Boy beat Shamrock. Come full circle after the Liddell loss. Hopefully he can do it by way of KO or TKO, which would be his first since that fight and would really mark his return back. If Ortiz wins and Lidell wins his next match, there is little doubt they will have a light heavyweight title bout.

Arlovski over Sylvia. Arlovski get's revenge for his last loss.

I hope to god Mir can get back on the winning track after the wreck and after the beatdown he got at Lidell-Couture 3.

The Miletich camp centers right around here.. we see a lot of the fighters. I saw Sylvia and Miletich a couple days back at the bar. Sylvia is a freakin monster and Miletich is the goofiest looking bastard you'll ever see.

The stoppage was fine actually, the first elbow on slow mo was horrendous and made Ken's head wobble and eyes glaze over then followed up by 5 more undefended elbows. I blame that on Ken he has a tendency to totally lay stock still sometimes and snap out of it. Herb Dean is by far the UFC's best ref and I'm sure he saw something in Ken's eyes and body language that was all wrong.

Considering how bad Ken got beat down in the first fight and how goofy he looked in Pride, I don't think they should have rematched Tito and Ken. Tito, with Randy retiring and a few fighters making the move to HW, is a top 10 fighter at LHW, while Ken is an MMA relic who probably could be taken to task by most of the MW fighters in TUF3.

I sincerely hope they don't rematch and that Ken retires, he looked rediculous in Pride and in his UFC return. I wouldn't mind him against older guys who are more game for him, like Bas Rutten or Royce.

The whole PPV was meh, save for the Silva/Liddell announcement, that's pretty much the biggest, most important MMA match ever. Dana White gets killed on the internet but he's a MMA mastermind for setting up this dream fight.

Arlovksi needs a new team, he had absolutely no gameplan and seemed like he wasn't getting ANY advice in between rounds. He abandoned the leg kicks and only shot in once, he essentially played into Sylvia's gameplan pefectly.

I hope they feed Mir to Arlovksi to get him back on track and Mir off of PPVs. Monson vs. Slyvia should be interesting style-wise, a 5'10 muscle bound, sub grappler vs. a 6'10, pear-shaped striker.

UFC this year has been on a role with thier matchmaking and events so I guess they are bound to have some bad luck and fianlly have a bad show.

this is a far cry from wresting

the stoppage was way too early - the first two elbows caught him good, but of the next 3 only 1 looked like it even grazed his head - they should of let it go another 10 seconds or so to see if shamrock was able to shake it (which he has done countless other times)

it seemed like arlovski and silva had too much respect for each other - that plan wasn't the best for arlovski because of his reach difference - he did abandon the leg kicks (which seemed to have some affect)

I do have a general question though - why don't some of these soft body guys hit each other in the gut when they are on the ground - in the one fight the dude was in his guard and from the mount the other guy was trying to set up a massive headshot - meanwhile he could of just shot straight down, drilled him in the sternum and given the soft stomach really devastated him

That's a good point about body punching, it's sort of like how body punching has regressed in boxing. I think with the small gloves in MMA the ability to KO or damage your opponent with a single punch is too tempting to pass up than say working the body over and over again. Also too in the guard you really have to manage to posture up to work the body and from there you can really rain hard on the face anyway. With 3, 5 min rounds to work with body shots don't always pay thier dividens while even glancing blows to the face may cause bruising or even cuts.

One guy in MMA, the Pride HW champ, Fedor Emelianeko, actually is one of the few fighters who land body shots in thier opponents guard. He sets up his ground and pound with shots to the stomach to lower his opponents hands from his face, he also pushes on the sternum when he postures up in the guard. He also works the body standing with roundhouse kicks, one his signature wins actually is from a liver KO.

I don't think the stoppage was too early.. Tito could have easily kept going and going and going. My guess was it would last 2:30... almost right.

I'm glad Tim won but this whole PPV pretty much sucked.

The first fight was the best

I cannot believe Sylvia won. He's a tall, clumsy, slow fighter that Alrovski should just eat-up. He's lucky that they're even as it is, he got destroyed in the first fight. Then he just missed getting destroyed the same exact way the second fight and landed a lucky offbalance shot that rocked Arlovski. I have to see this match once it hits youtube.

Holy sh*t! Pride and the UFC have gone to war!

Translated from PrideFC.com's Japanese site:

Quote:

��対戦表明�よ���両陣営�対戦実�����動�出���必至�。PRIDE��役�ャンピオン�UF C��役�ャンピオン��上��激��実�濃厚������。アメリカを舞�����格闘技�上�未曾有� 大戦争�始�������る�

�ら��シウ��共�UFC�会場を訪れ���榊原代表��「今回�ヴァンダレイ・シウ��UFC�戦�� 我々PRIDE�UFC��?全�戦争?����������声明を発表���

�ら��ビッグサプライズ�続�。

11月�UFC大会�����藤田和之も�戦�予定�れ��る���。PRIDEヘビー級を����日本を 代表�る�手�UFC�戦��れ��ドリームカード����も浮�ん��る。

暗�話題を��飛���PRIDE�大逆襲�幕�切�����れ�。��大戦争を制�る���PRIDE �? UFC�!?

All of this means this:

Quote:

It was inevitable that both companies would eventually compete directly with one another, starting with the first clash in history of a UFC Champion versus a Pride champion. The MMA war is beginning in the United States.

Furthermore, President Sakikabara, while visitng the officies of the UFC with Silva, issued the statement that "the UFC's acceptance of the fight between Silva and Liddell means all-out war between UFC and Pride."

Moreover, there's another suprise.

Kazuyuki Fujita has announced that it is planned that he will participate in the November UFC card. As a Pride representative @ HW, we may be looking at a number of dream matches coming to fruition.

Pride's counter-attack is now completely in the open. Who will win this war? Pride or UFC?

,___,

{o,o} ORLY?

|)__)

-"-"-

Just saw the fight on youtube (just search for ufc 61) and it was a horrible fight. Neither guy deserved to win, but the onus to really win is on Andreei -- Sylvia can just sit back and fend him off and that's excatly what he did. Very disappointed in Andrei, he's a much better fighter than that.

Andrei is so well-rounded and has so many weapons, why he insisted on exchanging with Timmy from the outside, Slyvia's sole area of strength, is beyond comprehension. I think that shovel uppercut in the second fight must have traumatized AA from boxing him inside. The guy needs a new team, hopefully he'll get back on track facing Mir or something, or maybe get a big win in the Pride/UFC interpromotional campaign.

Looks like Monson is on deck now to face Slyvia, despite being a foot taller than Monson I bet Timmy is still gonna sit on his huge reach and jab Monson for 5 rounds. Monson I think has 5 pro-boxing bouts under his belt and maybe that will help him slip jabs, still all Tim has to do is barely lift his knee to KO 5'10 Monson.

Thanks for that info Marlin Nation, will be damn interesting. IMO, UFC is the superior division so it will be interesting to actually see it play out in the octogon.

The stoppage was fine actually, the first elbow on slow mo was horrendous and made Ken's head wobble and eyes glaze over then followed up by 5 more undefended elbows. I blame that on Ken he has a tendency to totally lay stock still sometimes and snap out of it. Herb Dean is by far the UFC's best ref and I'm sure he saw something in Ken's eyes and body language that was all wrong.

Considering how bad Ken got beat down in the first fight and how goofy he looked in Pride, I don't think they should have rematched Tito and Ken. Tito, with Randy retiring and a few fighters making the move to HW, is a top 10 fighter at LHW, while Ken is an MMA relic who probably could be taken to task by most of the MW fighters in TUF3.

I sincerely hope they don't rematch and that Ken retires, he looked rediculous in Pride and in his UFC return. I wouldn't mind him against older guys who are more game for him, like Bas Rutten or Royce.

I must disagree with your point on Herb Dead. You think he is the best referee in UFC? I can't stand him, I think he has to be one of the worst, if not the worst. Big John McCarthy is the best for my money.

Right before Dean had come to stop the fight, Shamrock had shifted and started to defend himself. Liddell's reaction told me alot too, there was no reason to stop that fight at that point. If this was anyone but Ken, the fight probably goes on. I understand the risks and I respect that. Because of that stoppage, they might fight again which would be sad because of what you've said and I agree with about Ken. This was just a cross promotion for Ultimate Fighter 3, not because it was going to be a great fight.

I hope they feed Mir to Arlovksi to get him back on track and Mir off of PPVs. Monson vs. Slyvia should be interesting style-wise, a 5'10 muscle bound, sub grappler vs. a 6'10, pear-shaped striker.

Why no love for Frank? This is only his 2nd fight back since the accident and by going 3, obviously he is getting his stamina back and rebounds nicely from that beatdown he recieved versus Marcio Cruz. UFC isn't going to be taking him off the card and wants him to get back so he can fight and attempt to get back the title he was forced to give up.

Plus, if Mir can do it I'd love to see him face Sylvia again. I still have the picture of Mir breaking Sylvia's arm in my head.

I like Big Joe but Herb Dean has actually fought before and usually his stoppages are pretty good, he also doesn't get pressed by the crowd to stand up fighters if it goes to the ground, he does the best at differentiating between a fighter working or stalling on the bottom. I think his understanding of grappling especially makes him a ref par excellence.

Pride refs are good too and brave, they really put thier bodies on the line to protect a prone fighter, I really can't tell the difference between them because they are Japanese, lol so I just give them blanket props.

As for the UFC vs. Pride thing, with two rosters to work with expect to see awesome match-making and even better matches, save for the HW fights, the UFC HW division really sucks, expect those to be pretty lopsided in Pride's favor. Pretty weird to talk about Pride vs. UFC outside of a fantasy fight context, Silva vs. Liddell has been the subject of dream match discussions (some horrendous discussions I might add, lol) for years now. Needless to say this is going to be biggest fight in MMA history bar none.

As for the Mir-hate, well Iowa more or less made my argument for me, lol. I mean, he comes off a brutal, comprehensive loss to a guy making his MMA debut (I think PDP is gonna make some noise in that division btw), and goes into his next fight in WORSE shape and sort of oozes his way to victory. I didn't like that he got to be on the PPV and Monson gets delegated to a pre-lim fight when he is the #1 contender.

• 3 weeks later...

Details of Pride's first show in the US have finally come out:

Pride USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 4, 2006

**PRIDE FIGHTING: THE REAL DEAL

PRIDE FIGHTING is proud to announce its first ever show on American soil, "THE REAL DEAL"! The event will take place on SATURDAY,OCTOBER 21st at the THOMAS & MACK CENTER in LAS VEGAS, NEVADA.

Possible participants include PRIDE Fighting Heavyweight Champion FEDOR EMELINANENKO, "THE NEW YORK BAD ASS" PHIL BARONI, KEVIN "THE MONSTER" RANDLEMAN, MIRKO "CRO COP" FILIPOVIC, MAURICIO "SHOGUN" RUA, KAZUYUKI "IRONHEAD" FUJITA, MARK "THE HAMMER" COLEMAN, and other PRIDE Fighting superstars! (Fighters and card subject to change.)

**LIMITED PRE-SALE TICKETS AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY TO PRIDEFC.COM MEMBERS

PRIDEFC.COM mailing list members will have the exclusive privilege to purchase tickets two weeks before they are made available to the general public. Event tickets will be available on a first come first serve basis, meaning PRIDEFC.COM mailing list members will have access to the best seats before the general public. Ticket prices will range from $50, $100, $300, $500 and $700.

Ticket sales for members will begin on August 7th, upon the emailing of an exclusive newsletter, which will contain a link to a hidden page that can only be accessed by PRIDEFC.COM members. A secret password will be issued to allow members to enter the special shopping site to purchase their tickets. Also, members must first register with the PRIDEFC.COM shopping site in order to be eligible to purchase items on the site. This chance to purchase pre-sale tickets is a limited time offer and only available for one week, from August 8th @ 10am (Pacific time) to August 14th @ midnight (Pacific time).

Remember, seats to THE REAL DEAL will be issued on a first come first serve basis so get yours soon!

As an added bonus, all PRIDEFC.COM members who purchase tickets through this offer will receive free an exclusive PRIDE FC WRISTBAND (previously only available in Japan).

**DATES TO REMEMBER:

August 8: Ticket Release Date for Members (starts at 10:00 am Pacific Time)

August 16: Media day 1 in Los Angeles

August 17: Media day 2 in Las Vegas

August 19: Meet and greet session with fighters in Los Angeles (Open to Public)

August 20: Tickets go on sale to general public

Scheduled Participants for Media and Meet and Greet Days: Fedor Emelianenko, Mauricio Shogun, Phil Baroni, Kevin Randleman, Josh Barnett and Mark Coleman

For more information on PRIDE FC, visit pridefc.com

? COPYRIGHT 2006 DREAM STAGE ENTERTAINMENT ALL RIGHT RESERVED.

Fight Card:

-Chuck Liddell vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title

-Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar

-Josh Neer vs. Thiago Alves

-Hermes Franca vs. Jamie Varner

-Yushin Okami vs. Alan Belcher

-Wes Combs vs. Wilson Gouveia

-David Heath vs. Cory Walmsley

-Christian Wellisch vs. Cheick Kongo