2006 NL/ AL closer rankings

MVPosey

(I'm only including the saves leader for each team, and then rating them based on how they compare with each other, using the following four stats: ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9 IP

National League

1. Tom Gordon 55

2. Trevor Hoffman 53

3. Billy Wagner 52

4. Brian Fuentes 48

5. Chad Cordero 47

6. Brad Lidge 34

7. Derrick Turnbow 33

8. Joe Borowski 31

9. Danys Baez 31

10. Jason Isringhausen 30

11. Jose Valverde 29

12. Ryan Dempster 29

13. Mike Gonzalez 29

14. Armando Benitez 25

15. David Weathers 11

16. Chris Reitsma 7

American League

1. Joe Nathan 51

2. B.J. Ryan 49

3. J.J. Putz 48

4. Jonathan Papelbon 46

5. Francisco Rodriguez 33

6. Akinori Otsuka 33

7. Bobby Jenks 31

8. Mariano Rivera 31

9. Huston Street 28

10. Chris Ray 23

11. Tyler Walker 16

12. Ambiorix Burgos 14

13. Bob Wickman 9

14. Todd Jones 8

I used a point system, where I ranked the players in each league in each of the four stats...in the national league, I gave 16 points for each first place, 15 for each second, 14 for each third, etc...in the american league it was 14 for each first place, 13 for each second, etc..

Why on earth are you favoring K's and K/9 so much? Horribly flawed. Look at Kyle Farnsworth. Amazing K's and K/9 but he sucks.

The Best Closers in Baseball:

1. Mariano Rivera

2. Jonathon Papelbon

3. BJ Ryan

Done. No one else is worth talking about.

Why on earth are you favoring K's and K/9 so much? Horribly flawed. Look at Kyle Farnsworth. Amazing K's and K/9 but he sucks.

1. Mariano Rivera

2. Jonathon Papelbon

3. BJ Ryan

Uhh Bobby Jenks?

You may have done it on a points system, but with all due respect, your points system is stupid.

How can you have JJ Putz ahead of Jonathon freaking Papelbon?! He's had like 2 earned runs ALL YEAR!

And I agree with Bryan, the top three - although I'd add Joe Nathan and probably Bobby Jenks in there as well - are ahead of the rest in the AL.

In the NL... there really isn't a lights out closer anymore.

I have a hard time believing any system where Billy Wagner is higher rated in his respective league than Jonathan Papelbon.

hmm...have you considered the fact that the AL is a highly superior league?

Have you considered that the only stat a closer should be evaluated by, really, is WHIP?

And, drum roll please, the three best closers in baseball (Papelbon, Rivera, Ryan) all have ERA's 0.8 or below, while Wagner's at 1.11.

It's really not hard, the less baserunners a closer allowed, the better the are. I don't care how many they strike out or how many games they save.

And also, if you're system is to be evaluated completely, Papelbon is the 9th best closer while Rivera isn't even top 15.

There's something really wrong there.

For sure, it was just for effect and even after today's blown save he is only one of two players over the 100 point mark. Pretty big statement.

I like the Neyer/James method (Cy Young Points (CYP) = ((5*IP/9)-ER) + (SO/12) + (SV*2.5) + Shutouts + ((W*6)-(L*2)) + VB (see below) Victory Bonus (VB): A 12-point bonus awarded for leading your team to the division champsionship) but obviously it is skewed a little bit too favorably for saves.

You won't get any argument out of me about Liriano being the Cy and ROY right now. But any 'ranking' that has Papelbon as the 9th best closer is a damn joke.

1. Mariano Rivera

2. Jonathon Papelbon

3. BJ Ryan

Bobby Jenks has been automatic maybe better than Rivera this year

1. Mariano Rivera

2. Jonathon Papelbon

3. BJ Ryan

Bobby Jenks has been automatic maybe better than Rivera this year

I'm not looking at statistics, I'm going by what my eyes and brain tell me. I would much rather have Rivera, Ryan and Papelbon on the mound than Jenks.

Anyone can have a better year than Rivera, I'll still take him over everyone else when the game really matters.