Royals plane grounded on trip to Detroit

Trip to Detroit a rocky one for Royals

Minor mechanical problem forces plane back to KC

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals landed safely in Detroit early Thursday morning after a false start on their trip from Kansas City.

The team's chartered jet had to return to Kansas City International Airport less than an hour after taking off on Wednesday night.

"We lost cabin pressure and had to turn around and come back," television producer Kevin Shank said from the plane, which landed safely shortly before 9 p.m. CT.

Team captain Mike Sweeney reported that the players and staff were concerned by the incident but relieved by the safe return.

"It's the first time we had a chapel service in the back of the plane," Sweeney said. "Matt Stairs was in charge."

Team spokesman David Holtzman said both air pressure systems went out for a time during the initial flight and the pilots dropped quickly to a safe altitude.

"That's the quickest I've ever dropped 20,000 feet," Stairs said.

The plane's return to KCI was greeted by a convoy of emergency vehicles.

About an hour later, after mechanical adjustments, the team took off again in the same aircraft and the flight was without further incident and landed in Detroit about 12:35 p.m. ET, according to Holtzman.

The Royals will open the second half of the season against the Tigers on Thursday night at Comerica Park.

Trip to Detroit a rocky one for Royals

Minor mechanical problem forces plane back to KC

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals landed safely in Detroit early Thursday morning after a false start on their trip from Kansas City.

The team's chartered jet had to return to Kansas City International Airport less than an hour after taking off on Wednesday night.

"We lost cabin pressure and had to turn around and come back," television producer Kevin Shank said from the plane, which landed safely shortly before 9 p.m. CT.

Team captain Mike Sweeney reported that the players and staff were concerned by the incident but relieved by the safe return.

"It's the first time we had a chapel service in the back of the plane," Sweeney said. "Matt Stairs was in charge."

Team spokesman David Holtzman said both air pressure systems went out for a time during the initial flight and the pilots dropped quickly to a safe altitude.

"That's the quickest I've ever dropped 20,000 feet," Stairs said.

The plane's return to KCI was greeted by a convoy of emergency vehicles.

About an hour later, after mechanical adjustments, the team took off again in the same aircraft and the flight was without further incident and landed in Detroit about 12:35 p.m. ET, according to Holtzman.

The Royals will open the second half of the season against the Tigers on Thursday night at Comerica Park.

does that mean they get a 5 yard penalty? secondly...i can totally see matt stairs back there praying his ass off(as would i)...thirdly...does this remind anyone else of Major League...i wonder who read songa hiyawatha???