RIP: UMD for PSP

EndLine

Not surprising that this happened, when the UMD's sometimes are higher priced than the DVD it makes purchasing one retarded. If they would've made them really cheap $5-10 bucks, I think it woulda sold a bit more.

Not only that, but why would you want to buy the same movie that you probably already have on DVD again, purchase something that you can only use on a PSP and buy the disc when you can put a copy of the movie onto a memory stick and play it that way?

You would think for being such an Electronics Giant that Sony wouldn't have an issue with new media like this, yet they have managed to fail at it three times thus far.

The picture quality on them was great, but the sound was often too low that was extremely annoying to me.

If I was 12-13 and went on alot of car rides I would have bought them up like candy but like the two above posts said, they just didnt make much sense when you factor in the cost and features.

Good riddance. Sony is always going with their "Our way or the highway" approach to media and I'm glad to see it not working for them. Learn to play nicely and maybe you're investment would pay off a bit more. Consumers want stuff that is compatible, especially if you're the new kid on the block (the UMD that is).

I don't think that Blu Ray is going to work either.

DVDs are too entrenched at this point, and the public only likes one type of media at a time (VHS until close to 2000, and DVD from then to the present).

Plus, is there REALLY that big of a difference between DVD and Blu-Ray?

Guest Fritz

I don't think that Blu Ray is going to work either.

DVDs are too entrenched at this point, and the public only likes one type of media at a time (VHS until close to 2000, and DVD from then to the present).

Plus, is there REALLY that big of a difference between DVD and Blu-Ray?

Depends if you're a videophile/have a HDTV or not.