The Best Ever Thread

TheDon

Whats your nominee for Best Rock Song Ever?

Dont let the fact that your nominee may be played out affect your decision.

Its not the fault of the song/songwriter that the song got played out.

And if you have any supporting data other then "its my favorite" please feel free to share it.

TheDon nominates "Stairway To Heaven".

Very played out. You could argue that it contains some of the best multi tracked guitar work ever. And the drum sound acheived is mind boggling.

I listened to Zep a lot when I was in middle school and I dont listen to them much anymore but I always listen to this song in its entirety when I hear it on the radio.

And I turn it up.

Edit: We'll cover all the genres so be patient.

Guest Juanky

No argument.

Stairway to Heaven.

Best rock song, best song, best band.....hell have Garth Brooks sing it and it becomes the best country song. Not that I want that to happen at all ever under any circumstances.

No argument.

Stairway to Heaven.

Best rock song, best song, best band.....hell have Garth Brooks sing it and it becomes the best country song. Not that I want that to happen at all ever under any circumstances.

I'd rather have George Strait.

But on topic - I think Stairway to Heaven wins, no question, however, I like Don't Stop Believing more.

Can't argue that Stairway to Heaven is towards the top of the list (though in my opinion it isn't Led Zep's best song), but for the sake of saying something different I'll go with Layla by Derek & the Dominoes.

The first half is pure traditional rock 'n roll with master guitarwork by Clapton and catchy vocals. Then follows that amazing instrumental with piano and the brilliant slide guitar of Duane Allman. The second part of the song is so beautiful and there is so much feeling put into it that it just loses you. Altogether the song is one of my favorites ever. I have a live version by the Allman Brothers Band from August 9, 2003 and it is spectacular as well... Derek Trucks is pretty much just as amazing as Duane Allman was, if not better (gasp!), and Warren Haynes is Warren Haynes.

eh im sick and tired of the best songs ever having to be classic rock songs

:notworthy , It's the same with every form of media. Look at all the lists of classic books, Slaughterhouse Five, is the newest book on most lists. Same exact thing with Music, it's pretty bad when the Godfather is newest movie on most lists.

It's just crap. I think most Critics, fear backlash, if they actually grew a set and decided to go with something produced after the Ford administration.

I'd love to see lists 40 years from now, and see how much they've been re-written to factor in the 80's and 90's, while pieces from that generation are left out.

Most mainstream rock music of today comes nowhere close to the skill and technical ability of the mainstream artists of the late 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s. You can find amazing stuff if you ignore what the media tells you is good. But when AFI, Angels and Airwaves, and Taking Back Sunday are among the top 10 on the Billboard charts, modern music has a long way to go until it can be considered for top song lists.

Also, the reason classic songs and books/movies like you mention dominate most people's "best" lists are because they have withstood the test of time. If today's Panic at the Disco songs are still popular in 2046 then maybe they will earn their place as one of history's most elite rock bands.

Fugazi - Waiting Room

Yeah.

Thats a great song. That whole EP is great from start to finish (Glue Man).

My only disagreement would be that its not a traditional "rock" sound..

When it came out I always felt it was kind of the "new hardcore sound".

Great nominee though.

:thumbup