Chris Volstad

The_Godfather

First of all, I completely stole this from minorleagueball.com, John Sickels amazing site.

The user Hockeymetrics posted this and I thought it was really interesting and just wanted to share it with you guys. So if you post here HM, please let us know so we can give you credit. Anyways here it is -

FirstInning.com and Minorleaguesplits are the best minor league stat sites around. Special thanks to them for allowing to discover this gem - anyone who looked at Chris Volstad's stats saw that he has shown exceptional command for a youngster walking only 33 in 133 innings, but that his K/9 hasn't impressed. Here's a saving grace - his balls in play stats.

An incredible 257 grounders, 62 Liners, 89 Fly Balls, 19 Popups, and 9 Bunts.

Giving Mr. Volstad a 59% GB%. Can you say Brandon Webb? And in Florida's big yard the few flies he will give up should not go out.

Volstad is going to be a stud . He is still really skinny and will develop a couple more ticks on his fastball. Love watching his progress.

To me, West's probably passed him, but what the hell are we going to do in 2 years? Start from scratch with the rotation all over again? Olsen, Johnson, Willis and Sanchez all sure seem like keepers, that leaves one spot for any variety of: Thompson, Volstad, West, Petit and Sinkbeil, not to mention Nolasco. Sheesh.

To me, West's probably passed him, but what the hell are we going to do in 2 years? Start from scratch with the rotation all over again? Olsen, Johnson, Willis and Sanchez all sure seem like keepers, that leaves one spot for any variety of: Thompson, Volstad, West, Petit and Sinkbeil, not to mention Nolasco. Sheesh.

I don't see all three of those 05 1sts fulfilling their potential. Regardless, you can take Petit out of the equation, because he doesn't hold a candle to any of these guys. I've been saying it for a while.

My question to you would be....why are Olsen, Johnson and Sanchez keepers, but not Nolasco??

I don't see all three of those 05 1sts fulfilling their potential. Regardless, you can take Petit out of the equation, because he doesn't hold a candle to any of these guys. I've been saying it for a while.

My question to you would be....why are Olsen, Johnson and Sanchez keepers, but not Nolasco??

Combination of age, stuff, ceiling and just a gut inclination.

Honestly, you have three guys born in '84 (Sanchez, Olsen, JJ) all performing as well if not better than two other rotation starters (Willis, Nolasco) two years their seniors.

To me, Sanchez, Olsen and JJ are not just keepers, but arguably the stuff dynasties are built around. I threw Willis in there based on past performance, but Pepsi Challenge his numbers (7-10, 4.14 ERA, 1.50 WHIP and a 6.21 K/9) and you want him the hell off the team.

To each his own, of course, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the 2008 rotation doesn't feature the aforementioned "big four" and one of the fab-5 (my money's on West, but that would make the rotation awfully left-handed).

Combination of age, stuff, ceiling and just a gut inclination.

Honestly, you have three guys born in '84 (Sanchez, Olsen, JJ) all performing as well if not better than two other rotation starters (Willis, Nolasco) two years their seniors.

To me, Sanchez, Olsen and JJ are not just keepers, but arguably the stuff dynasties are built around. I threw Willis in there based on past performance, but Pepsi Challenge his numbers (7-10, 4.14 ERA, 1.50 WHIP and a 6.21 K/9) and you want him the hell off the team.

To each his own, of course, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the 2008 rotation doesn't feature the aforementioned "big four" and one of the fab-5 (my money's on West, but that would make the rotation awfully left-handed).

I don't really agree with that argument. Nolasco has been pitching as well as any of those guys, in my opinion. And you can't condemn a guy because he's a little bit older--because he's still very young.

And btw, Nolasco is about '1' year older than Olsen, Sanchez and Johnson. That makes the argument even more meaningless.

I'm hoping we'll narrow the list down a little bit with some trades to get some position prospects. I definitely think Petit should go, I don't write him off as a viable prospect but its pretty obvious that he isn't high on Girardi's list.

Isnt Petit supposed to have the highest ceiling than any pitcher in the organization. Thats what Ive read on multiple sources.

I'm hoping we'll narrow the list down a little bit with some trades to get some position prospects. I definitely think Petit should go, I don't write him off as a viable prospect but its pretty obvious that he isn't high on Girardi's list.

Isnt Petit supposed to have the highest ceiling than any pitcher in the organization. Thats what Ive read on multiple sources.

most believe his stuff isnt good enough to be a #1 or 2 starter