Jim Thome Injured

QuickGold

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsOT...p&type=lgns

DETROIT (AP) -- Chicago White Sox designated hitter Jim Thome limped off the field with a strained left hamstring in the second inning Wednesday night against the Detroit Tigers.

Thome is expected to miss Thursday's series finale in Detroit, but manager Ozzie Guillen is hopeful he will play this weekend at home against Minnesota.

After hitting an RBI ground-rule double, Thome pulled up after rounding first and was favoring his left leg.

"When you pull your hammy, usually it means that you're going all out. I really wasn't," he said. "I hit first base and when I turned, that's when it got me and I kind of trotted to second base."

Guillen and team trainer Herm Schneider came out of the dugout right away, and quickly knew Thome would have to be replaced. Tadahito Iguchi entered the game as a pinch runner.

"The good news is it's not a big deal," Guillen said.

Thome isn't so sure.

"I don't think it's a cramp because a cramp usually goes away," he said. "There's probably a strain in there.

"I've never had a hamstring injury. We'll think the best, re-evaluate it and do our best to get back as quick as possible."

Thome is hitting .294 with 36 homers and 91 RBIs. He has played in 116 of 126 games this season. He missed three games earlier this year with a strained left groin.

The White Sox acquired Thome from Philadelphia in an offseason trade for center fielder Aaron Rowand.

Thome was one of the AL's top sluggers with the Cleveland Indians, before joining the Phillies after the 2002 season with a six-year, $85 million contract.

He hit a total of 89 home runs in his first two seasons with the Phillies before back and elbow injuries limited him to 59 games last year, when he slumped to .207 with seven homers and 30 RBIs.