Rome

Lefty

I can only assume the 2nd season follows Octavian's succession of Caesar (his control over the Senate), the triumvirate (Antony, Lepidus and Octavian) and the following destruction of Antony and Cleopatra. Considering that only about 10-12(?) years separated Caesar's death and the attack on Egypt, I would assume most of the characters remain the same...

However the season is only 12 episodes, and there is a TON of historical significance within just a few years(I didn't even mention the battle in which Brutus and Cassisu commit suicide)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sunday at 9. I am extremely hyped for this season. I'm downloading last season this week to refresh my memory. I know what happens after Caesar's death obviously, but it's so interesting to see how they play off these side stories of Vorenus and Pullo.

The RISE OF AUGUSTUS!

• 2 weeks later...

The end of the last episode was odd. They suddenly skip 3 months and now we're lead to believe that Attia is about to be poisoned. The previews make it seem as though the attempts on Attia fail and Servillia gets caught; the Marc Antony/Octavian feud comes to a head; and Pullo travels all over the place, returns to Rome to find Vorenus' sister in law. It's like they skipped quite a bit in terms over storyline.

The end of the last episode was odd. They suddenly skip 3 months and now we're lead to believe that Attia is about to be poisoned. The previews make it seem as though the attempts on Attia fail and Servillia gets caught; the Marc Antony/Octavian feud comes to a head; and Pullo travels all over the place, returns to Rome to find Vorenus' sister in law. It's like they skipped quite a bit in terms over storyline.

It really makes me feel like this could be the last season. I thought they might try to prolongue the struggle of the Senate and Antony/Octavian...but it appears that the triumvirate is just episodes away, and the deaths of Brutus and Cicero imminent. I guess they could really delay the Antony/Cleopatra storyline for another season, but I dunno...

I really don't understand Attia's hitman having his own storyline--unless his brother somehow connects them to someone from the main plot.

I thought the episode would end with Antony being told to go get f***ed by the senate, but the last 5 minutes were so out of place. Really awkward.

Another thing that I saw as a possible storyline -- Pullo vs Vorenus to the death. Vorenus was said to be off with Antony and Pullo appears to meet with Octavian while looking for Vorenus. If that indeed happens, the show will be dead. And here's another thing, the actor who plays Octavian only sppears in half the episodes, so he isn't apparently going to be a big part of the upcoming episodes.

This kind of reminds me of the epidsode last year when Pompey Magnus is beheaded by the Egyptians. Just out of nowhere and totally changed the direction of the show.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I thought the episode would end with Antony being told to go get f***ed by the senate, but the last 5 minutes were so out of place. Really awkward.

Another thing that I saw as a possible storyline -- Pullo vs Vorenus to the death. Vorenus was said to be off with Antony and Pullo appears to meet with Octavian while looking for Vorenus. If that indeed happens, the show will be dead. And here's another thing, the actor who plays Octavian only sppears in half the episodes, so he isn't apparently going to be a big part of the upcoming episodes.

This kind of reminds me of the epidsode last year when Pompey Magnus is beheaded by the Egyptians. Just out of nowhere and totally changed the direction of the show.

Octavian isn't going anywhere. He's going to be Emperor. More likely, the season will focus on Octavian's rise to power then skip ahead to follow his whole tenure, with the young actor being replaced by an older one as he ages. I think that's why they skipped ahead at the end of this episode. The pace is going to increase tremendously as they try to cram longer periods of history into each episode.

I agree that there will be a Pullo vs. Vorenus fight.

Also, I've been waiting to see what political magic Octavian can pull since the series began. I'm excited.

There is only 7 episodes left in the series. It's going to focus on the rise of Octavian and then several other story lines (i'm guessing). It's a shame it is isn't coming back for a 3rd season. Can't believe HBO is ending 4 shows in a little over a year's time (Deadwood, Rome, Sopranos, Wire).

There is only 7 episodes left in the series. It's going to focus on the rise of Octavian and then several other story lines (i'm guessing). It's a shame it is isn't coming back for a 3rd season. Can't believe HBO is ending 4 shows in a little over a year's time (Deadwood, Rome, Sopranos, Wire).

The production costs for Rome were way too high - somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million per season. Those bloated Rome production costs and HBO ending up in the red as a result were the main driving force behind HBO cancelling Deadwood. Sopranos were on their way out before all of this. I'm not sure about the Wire.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

The production costs for Rome were way too high - somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million per season. Those bloated Rome production costs and HBO ending up in the red as a result were the main driving force behind HBO cancelling Deadwood. Sopranos were on their way out before all of this. I'm not sure about the Wire.

All of HBO's period pieces (Carnivale, Deadwood, Rome) were fantastic in writing, acting, and production. It's a real shame that they don't have the foresight to plan accordingly for the obvious high production costs. Those three shows rank among my favorite all-time series.

I just watched last night's Rome and I thought it was the season. The whole Servilia thing was awesome. This show is great but I think they could do a better job of telling us the time frame. It feels kind of disjointed at times. Cassius and Brutus still around? What exactly is there goal now? Why fight Antony? Last we saw Cicero he was leaving Rome and all of a sudden he's back in Rome and as the head of the senate? Who is the current consul? I'm just along for the ride until the show rides off into the sunset. I wished they wouldn't rush it that much though (even though they have to; to some degre).

And in the span of two episodes (following the 'lost' timeline), we have a new Octavian. I'm sure the reason is to have a more imposing and handsome character, but still...

I liked the very end when Lucius and Pullo walk out of the slave camp with the children.

Hey, just more room for new shows. HBO has the best original series' on tv but Showtime is quickly catching up.

Hey, just more room for new shows. HBO has the best original series' on tv but Showtime is quickly catching up.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/devwatch.asp...re=&studio=

That is what HBO has coming up in the next year. I don't think any of those shows can have any type of pre-hype because all the plots look like they could be aired on network tv.

These are the upcoming shows:

12 Miles of Bad Road - dramedy about the matriarch of a wealthy texas family whose real estate business and absurd wealth complicate the simplest family matters. Dallas? Starring Lily Tomlin? Pass

John from Cincinatti - drama about a dim but wealthy kid from cincinnati (austin nichols), who has come to take surfing lessons from surf legend mitch (bruce greenwood), head of the dysfunctional yost family of imperial beach, california. The plot doesn't grab me but its from the creator of Deadwood so we'll see.

Tell Me You Love Me - a boundary-pushing dramedy about three couples with intimacy issues. Can you say... Lifetime?

In Treatment - comedy about a therapist who is calm, smooth, insightful and nonconfrontational with his patients but turns into a testy, self-doubting individual full of barely concealed anger when he is a patient seeing his own shrink. This sounds a lot like last year's Help Me Help You. But will an HBO audience watch this show 5 times a weak? Mark Walhberg is involved so we'll see (as an EP).

Flight of the Conchords - comedy about the fictionalized life of new zealand folk parody duo "flight of the conchords". No comment.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I think the time of epic, historically-based, dramas airing on HBO has come to an end. We'll never see the likes of Rome, Deadwood, or Carnivalle again. It's a shame they were so expensive to produce.

I think the time of epic, historically-based, dramas airing on HBO has come to an end. We'll never see the likes of Rome, Deadwood, or Carnivalle again. It's a shame they were so expensive to produce.

I'd modify that and say it is a shame Rome is so expensive to produce since those costs mean we will never see the likes of Deadwood again (outside of a couple more extended episodes to wrap up the show). Like you said, HBO should have forecast these costs. It is a shame Chris Albrecht is still CEO of HBO. He singlehandedly killed HBO Original Programming.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Well the seeds of the 2nd Triumvirate have been planted. I'm excited for the ensuing intrigue.

Truthfully Vorenus and his family are starting to bore me.