We Are Marshall

Hammerhead

OFFICAL SITE | TRAILER

Theatrical Release Date: Dec 22, 2006 (Wide)

Cast & Crew:

Matthew McConaughey, Matthew Fox, David Strathairn, Huntley Ritter, Anthony Mackie directed by McG

Synopsis:

Based on a true story, We Are Marshall tells of the aftermath of a plane crash that claimed the lives of the Marshall University football team. Matthew McConaughey plays the coach who struggles to keep the football program going.

MPAA Rating: Not Rated

Release Company: Warner Bros.

Genre: Dramas, Football, Drama, Sports, Tragedy

• 2 months later...

Sports movies that come out really don't appeal to me much anymore (the stories are all very similar), but this one seems interesting enough. Maybe I'll catch it at some point.

I think this movie COULD have been different, but it sounds like it isn't. This is a type of adversity that I don't think any other team has had to face. I mean, basically the whole team died...pretty much an unimaginable tragedy. They didn't just have to overcome some racial tensions, or an owner who wanted the team to lose, or whatever else we've seen in the past. It looked in the previews like they were trying to make it about more than just sports, which seemed like the way to go, but it sounds like they didn't succeed in elevating this above a formula movie.

Seriously though, how much creativity can you have with a sports movie? You either win, or you lose. Fans fret over the rest, but it doesn't make a good movie.

The only thing I could imagine as a creative story is maybe do a movie on the beginning of the war between SABR and the old school. Like a Billy Beane biopic or something. Don't need to boost Billy's ego anymore, though.

Just found out that an actor plays Bobby Bowden in the movie. Bowden was the head coach at West Virginia University at the time of the plane crash and reached out to Marshall how ever he could. Bowden honored those players and coaches that died in the plane crash by having a cross and MU stickers put on the back of WVU helmets. West Virginia and Marshall weren't big rivals, but the two teams often competed for the best talent in the state. Pretty cool, huh?

It would be very possible to make a deep, thought provoking baseball movie. One would just need to focus on the essence of the game itself rather than the "overcoming the odds" melodramatic aspects that we've seen billions of times before.

Unfortunately, very few filmmakers seem willing to try something like that.

Yeah, it's been done. But the scenes on the field have limited potential anyways so what are you going to do?

The stuff that happens in real life is more dramatic than the movies anyways.

Just found out that an actor plays Bobby Bowden in the movie. Bowden was the head coach at West Virginia University at the time of the plane crash and reached out to Marshall how ever he could. Bowden honored those players and coaches that died in the plane crash by having a cross and MU stickers put on the back of WVU helmets. West Virginia and Marshall weren't big rivals, but the two teams often competed for the best talent in the state. Pretty cool, huh?

In the film Bowden also...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

allows all of the Marshall coaches to take all of the WVU game reels and play books for their own use.

I wonder if that really happened.

It did. I read an article about it. Surprisingly, the movie has alot of FSU connections. Matthew Fox's character played football at FSU and was a wide reciever and the movie itself was wrote by a FSU graduate.

• 2 weeks later...

The movie was OK. I was definitely a little dissapointed to be honest. I guess I went in there with high hopes of Rudy or Remember the Titans and I just didn't enjoy it like I thought I would. But, Matthew Fox did an excellent job and carried the movie.

:rolleyes:

I liked it, I thought McConoughey (spspsp) did a nice job, as did Anthony Mackie.