Magic @ Miami

The Fan

Riley inserting the new starting lineup tonight with D-Wright and Kapono in for Walker and Payton.

Looking good so far, new lineup seems to have people who know their roles on the team and are not clammoring to be the star on the floor.

Wade just made what should be SC's #1 or 2 play of the day.

I thought the Heat played a ton better tonight than they'd been playing, but they are just so, so bad when Dwyane is not on the floor.

Dwyane played 42 minutes tonight, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Heat lost by 15 or so in the 6 minutes that he was not on the floor. You can take the 2 minutes he sat out to open the 4th quarter where the Magic went on a 9-0 run, and you're already more than halfway there.

In general, the starting 5 worked pretty well together. Antoine Walker continues to be absolutely abominable.

I thought the Heat played a ton better tonight than they'd been playing, but they are just so, so bad when Dwyane is not on the floor.

Dwyane played 42 minutes tonight, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Heat lost by 15 or so in the 6 minutes that he was not on the floor. You can take the 2 minutes he sat out to open the 4th quarter where the Magic went on a 9-0 run, and you're already more than halfway there.

In general, the starting 5 worked pretty well together. Antoine Walker continues to be absolutely abominable.

The score with Wade not on the court was 19-2. Absolutely awful. To start the 4th, the Heat went with a lineup of Walker, Barron, Payton, Doleac, and I want to say Kapono. Not suprisingly, the Magic went on a 9-0 run. Payton and Walker are KILLING the Heat right now. When Posey returns, I wouldn't be shocked if Walker barely gets off the bench for a while. As for Payton, at least Riley has acknowledged that he is actively looking for another PG. The biggest mistake this team made was to not sure up the PG position in the offseason, especially knowing that Williams would be coming off of knee surgery and an already old Payton another year older. Wade can play the point, but they are already relying on him entirely too much right now.

As for the positives, I did think the Heat showed improvement tonight playing short-handed against a good Magic team, and the young players played well. Dorrell is going to be awesome when his shot becomes a little more consistant. He has a good stroke, but sometimes he looks like he thinks too much before he shoots. When he just lets it go, like on the last second 3 that didn't count, he's a lot more successful. Still he played good D and was very active. He's reminding me a lot of Tayshaun Prince. Kapono can be very useful if he can continue to knock down open shots. Once Posey is healthy, he should be very dangerous off of the bench.

I just hope they don't do anything drastic. Wade has his help but they're all hurt. Starting PG, starting C, and 6th man are all injured. Let's just wait a while.

What do you mean by drastic? I agree with you that you can't really read too much into this losing streak with the team missing so many key components, but I think even when healthy, they do need to do something to address the PG position. Right now, they can't depend on Williams being able to play every night and Payton is looking like he's no more than a 10 minute per game player. I'm not sure what it would take, but they need to get a younger, more reliable PG on the roster. Earl Watson fits that description, and there was interest in him by Riley in the past, but i'm not sure what we'd need to give up to get him.