December 11, 200619 yr Veteran reliever Jose Mesa has reached preliminary agreement on a one-year contract with the Detroit Tigers that will pay him about $2.5 million, two baseball sources said Sunday. The deal will be completed when Mesa passes a physical exam this week, the sources said. Mesa, a 40-year-old right-hander, ranks 13th on baseball's career list with 320 saves. He went 1-5 with a 3.86 ERA last year for the Colorado Rockies in his 18th major-league season. The Tigers, who have Todd Jones as their closer and the hard-throwing Joel Zumaya and Fernando Rodney in setup roles, were looking to add a veteran arm to their bullpen. They're also interested in acquiring a left-handed reliever after losing Jamie Walker to Baltimore through free agency. LINK Another closer off the market....i thought 2.5M was in our price range...DAMN!!!
December 11, 200619 yr Mesa's son actually plays(ed?) (I forget what year he was) for American Heritage's baseball team. So I really wanted Mesa in Miami.
December 11, 200619 yr Happy this signing went down, MESA is not the answer! I rather spend that cash or a player on a CF'er, throw tank or ricky, or the fomers mets in the closer role
December 11, 200619 yr Happy this signing went down, MESA is not the answer! I rather spend that cash or a player on a CF'er, throw tank or ricky, or the fomers mets in the closer role The problem with your thought is the Marlins arent going to spend the money I am not sure if there even is anyone left to address our centerfield needs baring trading away an important piece of the rotation
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.