Alex Rios

gobucks

"A trade remains possible; the Jays, according to major-league sources, failed in attempts to move outfielder Alex Rios to the Phillies for righty Brett Myers and to the Dodgers for righty Chad Billingsley and a second piece, most likely outfielder Matt Kemp or righty Jonathan Broxton. They need to keep pushing for such a deal; in the A.L. East, young righties such as Shaun Marcum and Casey Janssen can be asked to do only so much."

I like Rios but the equivalent of billingsley on our roster is probably johnson or olsen. I think if we are going to deal one of those guys we should get Baldelli.

Should we consider Nolasco and one of our top minor league arms?

Can Rios play center?

I think he is a bad ass offensive player and certainly a great RF. If we could get solid CF defense from either Hermedia or Rios then this is a trade we should make. This guy was crushing the ball last year before he got that staph infection. He also fits our model of being young and cheap (i have no clue but i'm guessing he's 2-3 years away from FA).

Adding him to our lineup would be sick.

I would draw the line and Sanchez and Olsen, and for realistic purposes, Willis.

If JJ and a younger-ish arm (like lets say a Gaby Hernandez) gets it done, I'd do it.

I think we're a much better team with Rios in center (the only reason he's not there now is Vernon Wells) and Petit/Pinto/Garcia in the rotation than we are throwing Amezaga out there with JJ and keeping minor league depth.

Does it not concern anyone here, that Rios is going to arbitration and will become more and more expensive almost immediately and for years to come?

The Marlins are on the right track to not say yes to a trade the Dodgers said no to if the story is correct without knowing what he'll be paid in 2007. Rios so far hasn't proven he's the player his first half numbers indicated. In no way should that be read as he won't or he isn't, but his performance pre-ASG (and pre staph *infection*) needs to be repeated for him to be worth the asking price in young quality pitching the Jays would demand. And let's see what happens in arbitration too. Rios asked for $3.1 million, the Jays offered $2 mil.

* * = edit

Does it not concern anyone here, that Rios is going to arbitration and will become more and more expensive almost immediately and for years to come?

The Marlins are on the right track to not say yes to a trade the Dodgers said no to if the story is correct without knowing what he'll be paid in 2007. Rios so far hasn't proven he's the player his first half numbers indicated. In no way should that be read as he won't or he isn't, but his performance pre-ASG (and pre staph injection) needs to be repeated for him to be worth the asking price in young quality pitching the Jays would demand. And let's see what happens in arbitration too. Rios asked for $3.1 million, the Jays offered $2 mil.

the concern about consistency can be said about our young pitching as well. I see Beinfest as a conservative GM and doubt he would pull the trigger on a deal dealing someone like JJ.

rios is cool but i dont think there's anyway we even make an offer for him. Id trade JJ and a top minor league guy for him in a heartbeat. Wouldnt have any issue with paying him his arbitration until walk year (trade at deadline) or signing him through arby +2FA years right away. Still, the chances of even an offer being made are slim.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.