Who do you want to see win the CF job?

No MLB team in their right mind would put Borchard in CF because he's obviously not a CF but with that said he could still be the best option we have because of the ridiculous budget so throw him in the mix.

If we don't trade for anyone then just let all these guys play it out in ST and give the job to the one who earns it (hopefully one will earn it!) and then hopefully he will help us win some games.

If anyone has seen a bigegr CF than Borchard please name names. I can't think of any.

No MLB team in their right mind would put Borchard in CF because he's obviously not a CF but with that said he could still be the best option we have because of the ridiculous budget so throw him in the mix.

If we don't trade for anyone then just let all these guys play it out in ST and give the job to the one who earns it (hopefully one will earn it!) and then hopefully he will help us win some games.

If anyone has seen a bigegr CF than Borchard please name names. I can't think of any.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/joe-borchard.shtml

The White Sox and Mariners played him briefly in CF.

Wily Mo Pe?a

124 ML games at CF

6'3" 245lbs

I have it on good authority that Borch will atleast get a look at CF in ST.

I'm sure....you just can't admit you are wrong. We had the worst CF in the majors last year and Borchard played 72 games. Not once did he play CF. He has no chance man....give it up already, admit you are wrong, and move on. Borchard is a 6'4 guy who not very athletic, he's slow, oh yeah- he's 6'4 and weighs 240-250 lbs.

Joe Borchard - 6'4" 230lbs

Vernon Wells (the gold glove CF) - 6'1" 225lbs

Why does 3 inches of height and 5 pounds make someone incapable of playing CF? I'm not trying to suggest that Borchard would by any means be a good CF and comparable to Wells and the like, but the argument that "He is too big to play CF" is silly.

And do you really want to defend your argument by siding with the braintrust that sent Amezaga out to be dominated night-in and night-out by LHP?

I told you the truth. Borchard is not athletic. Wells is. Some awards for Vernon Wells- 1997 - 1st team High School All-American OF 1998 - South Atlantic League All-Star UT 1999 - Baseball America 1st team Minor League All-Star OF, Florida State League Most Valuable Player, Toronto Blue Jays Minor League Player of the Year, Florida State League All-Star OF 2003 - Baseball America Second-Team Major League All-Star OF, AL Silver Slugger Award (OF), AL MVP (Voting Rank: #8), Played in MLB All-Star Game 2004 - AL Glove Glove Award (OF) 2005 - AL Glove Glove Award (OF)

Oh yeah Wells has stolen about 140 bases between the minor and majors. Borchard has not.

Wily Mo Pe?a

124 ML games at CF

6'3" 245lbs

Wily Mo Pena is very athletic. Borchard is not.

Some people forget that Joe Borchard is a career .209 hitter! Hell, Willis is a career .222 hitter! Borchard in CF? haha he'll be lucky to make the team.

Saying Borchard isn't athletic is plain stupid. You want to claim there's a huge gap between him and the likes of Vernon Wells and Andruw Jones who Gold Gloves at a very comparable size, or even Wily Mo? Fine. I agree. But it's besides the point. You say he can't play the position because of his size, and that's ridiculous.

Actually comparing him to Wells is alos kind of silly. Borchard doesn't need to be even a third as good as Vernon Wells. He needs to be better than Amezaga, Cody, Reggie, and Alex Sanchez. Not quite as tall an order.

Do me a favor and decide if you think batting average is the definitive offensive statistic. Because if it is then you shoul be pushing Alex Sanchez. If not, and you're willing to acknowledge that OPS is a better measure of a hitter, then please realize that Borchard had a better OPS last season than any OF (excluding Willingham) on the team. A crappy average means a bit less when you walk over 10% of the time BTW.

Saying Borchard isn't athletic is plain stupid. You want to claim there's a huge gap between him and the likes of Vernon Wells and Andruw Jones who Gold Gloves at a very comparable size, or even Wily Mo? Fine. I agree. But it's besides the point. You say he can't play the position because of his size, and that's ridiculous.

Actually comparing him to Wells is alos kind of silly. Borchard doesn't need to be even a third as good as Vernon Wells. He needs to be better than Amezaga, Cody, Reggie, and Alex Sanchez. Not quite as tall an order.

Do me a favor and decide if you think batting average is the definitive offensive statistic. Because if it is then you shoul be pushing Alex Sanchez. If not, and you're willing to acknowledge that OPS is a better measure of a hitter, then please realize that Borchard had a better OPS last season than any OF (excluding Willingham) on the team. A crappy average means a bit less when you walk over 10% of the time BTW.

Joe Borchard is NOT good. Period. He played CF last season 0 games. Period. He has the worst career batting average on the 40 man roster (besides Eric Reed). Period. The Marlins have not considered Borchard a candidate to be a starter in CF last year or this year. Period. I rest my case.

Joe Borchard is NOT good. Period. He played CF last season 0 games. Period. He has the worst career batting average on the 40 man roster (besides Eric Reed). Period. The Marlins have not considered Borchard a candidate to be a starter in CF last year or this year. Period. I rest my case.

So you're acknowledging that batting average is the definitive offensive stat. :thumbup

And Borchard is very athletic for a big man. He was a former 2 sport star to boot. All the scouting reports I have ever read about him say things like "amazing athleticism" and "outstanding athlete". If that wasnt enough, watch a game of his. He glides with the greatest of ease out there.

So you're acknowledging that batting average is the definitive offensive stat. :thumbup

And Borchard is very athletic for a big man. He was a former 2 sport star to boot. All the scouting reports I have ever read about him say things like "amazing athleticism" and "outstanding athlete". If that wasnt enough, watch a game of his. He glides with the greatest of ease out there.

LOL post of the year! Joe Borchard glides with ease out there? Do you watch the same games man? He is not Andruw Jones. Every ball is an adventure- he looks like a DH playing OF who can't hit like a DH. I didn't ask you if Joe Borchard is athletic for being a big man!?!!!!??!!!! I said he is not a major league CFer and he is in no way going to be given a shot in CF. Give it up already.

You focus on how many games he played in CF last season as if it indicated something other than the stubborness of Girardi. Alfredo Amezaga, career utility IF with a career OPS of 631 played 74 games in CF last season, and way too many vs LHP. just because he got those starts doesn't mean that he is the best CF on the team or should be the front-runner for the job next season. By that logic, Abercrombie must also be one of our best options, and certainly a better one than Cody, I mean, just compare the number of games played in CF.

And lose the obsession on Batting Average. Were you part of the "Let's sign back Juan Pierre" contingent on here? Because seriously, Borchard has plenty of offense stats to completely negate whatever meaning you want to place on his sub-standard batting average. The guy walks plenty and slugs RHP just as good as Cody does LHP. He has a better OPS vs RHP than Cody did vs LHP (over 800). And so if Cody, who is just as much a corner OF (except with shorter legs and a smaller stride) , gets a look based on his ability to hit LHP, why not the same for Borchard vs RHP.

And just out of curiosity, since you believe in the almighty batting average, is Alex Sanchez your pick for CF? Cause I'm pretty sure he has by far the highest career Batting Average of any of the potential CFs.

Didn't Borchard (at QB) lead UCLA to wins in the Rose Bowl (football) and baseball's College World Series in the same year?

Not athletic? Not likely.

When I read a line like "...Every ball is an adventure" I have to wonder if the author has actually seen Borchard play the outfield. no not on tv, in person. My memory may be imperfect but I don't remember his performance in RF last season anything akin to say Miguel Cabrera's, who appeared over-matched and confused on how to play the position showing almost no improvement as the weeks wore on until management relented and ended that ill-conceived experiment.

BTW, on the flamarlins.com site there are five brief videos on Borchard and ironically three are defensive plays.

BTW, on the flamarlins.com site there are five brief videos on Borchard and ironically three are defensive plays.

One of which is him catching a deep line drive practically at the wall on the move and then throwing out the runner at first from the warning track.

And in the 25 games he has played in CF in the Majors, not a single error. I'll grant you, that's a small sample size, but you can't ask for better than 0 misplays leading to an error, no matter the sample size.