January 22, 200719 yr Author Amezaga AND Ross Or Borchard and Ross I didn't add Borchard because he is not under any circumstance a CFer.
January 22, 200719 yr I want to see Reggie win the job, but not because I think he's the best player, just because he's an outstanding indvidual. I think all of the in house candidates for CF suck actually.
January 22, 200719 yr Author Amezaga AND Ross Or Borchard and Ross I didn't add Borchard because he is not under any circumstance a CFer. He's played there in the past. I want to see Reggie win the job, but not because I think he's the best player, just because he's an outstanding indvidual. I think all of the in house candidates for CF suck actually. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this forum. But he has 0 chance of being the opening day CFer....Amezaga has about a 10% chance- he's a good bench player but the Fish are trying to convert him to the infield and be a utility guy. I doubt that Amezaga will start on opening day but a huge spring would still give him or any of these guys a chance to be the starter. Borchard will not start.
January 22, 200719 yr Brett Carroll and Alex Sanchez. I believe Carroll will recieve his training in double A. So you may see a Sanchez/Reed platoon of some type Amezaga AND Ross Or Borchard and Ross I didn't add Borchard because he is not under any circumstance a CFer. He's played there in the past. I want to see Reggie win the job, but not because I think he's the best player, just because he's an outstanding indvidual. I think all of the in house candidates for CF suck actually. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this forum. But he has 0 chance of being the opening day CFer....Amezaga has about a 10% chance- he's a good bench player but the Fish are trying to convert him to the infield and be a utility guy. I doubt that Amezaga will start on opening day but a huge spring would still give him or any of these guys a chance to be the starter. Borchard will not start. BTW Amezaga is a utility infielder, he is not a permanent answer for the CF situation
January 22, 200719 yr Author Brett Carroll and Alex Sanchez. I believe Carroll will recieve his training in double A. So you may see a Sanchez/Reed platoon of some type Amezaga AND Ross Or Borchard and Ross I didn't add Borchard because he is not under any circumstance a CFer. He's played there in the past. I want to see Reggie win the job, but not because I think he's the best player, just because he's an outstanding indvidual. I think all of the in house candidates for CF suck actually. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this forum. But he has 0 chance of being the opening day CFer....Amezaga has about a 10% chance- he's a good bench player but the Fish are trying to convert him to the infield and be a utility guy. I doubt that Amezaga will start on opening day but a huge spring would still give him or any of these guys a chance to be the starter. Borchard will not start. BTW Amezaga is a utility infielder, he is not a permanent answer for the CF situation I think Amezaga is a UTL player as well....but say he hits .550 with 8 SB in spring training? I think he would get another look in CF. It is doubtful but he has a small chance if you ask me.
January 22, 200719 yr I would also like to see Reggie get another shot simply because of his athleticism. I think he has the most potential to be the best all-arund CF. He has shown spurts of both power and speed. Just his body type and style remind me alot of a Derrek Lee/Preston Wilson type ballplayer.
January 22, 200719 yr can I vote for option other as none of the above would be any better then the worst CF in MLB
January 22, 200719 yr I picked Sanchez, in part, but not totally, because of how he gets trashed on this board. The guy is (or has been throughout his career) a better and more consistent hitter than anyone else. I would've been torn between him and the absent Borchard had he been included. And this is just another example of how Borchard gets ignored around here in this debate. The guy hits RHP better than other OF we have (excluding Willingham), and he doesn't disappear in front of LHP quite as bad as Amezaga. If you are going to suggest an offensive minded platoon for CF, it should be Borchard & Cody. Even if you think Borch can't defend in CF, it's not like Amezaga or anyone else we have (that can hit even half-decent) is a good defensive CF. Or even average for that matter.
January 22, 200719 yr I wanna see A.Sanchez win the job... if he can keep playing the way he is right now it's his to lose... the guy is fast and gets on base.... and once he does let him loose....
January 22, 200719 yr Honestly, if we don't go out and acquire a CF before the season starts, I don't think the CF job will be settled until a month or two into the season. At the start of last season, people were hoping Abercrombie's red-hot spring would translate into regular season success. But as we all know, that didn't quite happen. I think you can say the same for Winter League performances such as Alex Sanchez's. The only thing that gives him a slight advantage is his past major league experience. In all truthfulness, we will probably see a two or three man rotation over the first 40-50 games, and after that, whichever one is performing the best will begin to see a majority of the playing time.
January 22, 200719 yr Author Here is a small breakdown of CFer options and how they did last year in categories: BA 1-A.DeAza .291 2-J.Campusano .285 3-E.Reed .283 4-A.Amezaga .260 5-A.Sanchez .259 6-B.Carroll .236 7-R.Abercrombie .212 8-C.Ross .211 HR 1-B.Carroll 17 2-C.Ross 11 3-R.Abercrombie 5 4-E.Reed 5 5-A.Amezaga 3 6-A.Sanchez 2 7-A.DeAza 2 8-J.Campusano 1 OBP 1-A.DeAza .354 2-A.Amezaga .332 3-J.Campusano .330 4-E.Reed .326 5-B.Carroll .320 6-C.Ross .282 7-A.Sanchez .281 8-R.Abercrombie .271 SLG 1-B.Carroll .420 2-R.Abercrombie .418 3-C.Ross .394 4-A.DeAza .388 5-E.Reed .371 6-A.Sanchez .341 7-J.Campusano .341 8-A.Amezaga .332 OPS 1-A.DeAza .792 2-B.Carroll .732 3-E.Reed .718 4-C.Ross .674 5-J.Campusano .671 6-A.Amezaga .664 7-A.Sanchez .623 8-R.Abercrombie .604 SB-speed % success rate 1-J.Campusano 37- 76% 2-A.DeAza 30- 70% 3-E.Reed 23- 70% 4-B.Carroll 13- 76% 5-A.Amezaga 20- 63% 6-A.Sanchez 6- 75% 7-R.Abercrombie 6- 55% 8-C.Ross 0- 0% Experience- based on where they played last year (competition) 1-A.Amezaga 2-C.Ross 3-R.Abercrombie 4-E.Reed 5-A.Sanchez 6-J.Campusano 7-B.Carroll 8-A.DeAza Total Points/Best CF option for 2007 (Based on 2006 Stats only) 1-Eric Reed 2-Alfredo Amezaga 3-Alejandro DeAza 4-Brett Carroll 5-Cody Ross 6-Jose Campusano 7-Reggie Abercrombie 8-Alex Sanchez
January 22, 200719 yr Ross and Borchard are under club control, meaning the Marlins can sign both outfielders for the minimum salary of $383,000, and the club is expected to do that. Ross is out of options, so he will have to make the roster or the team risks losing him if it tries to send him back to the Minor Leagues. Ross is one candidate for the starting center-field spot. Borchard may get some repetitions in center field as well, although he is more suited for the corner spots. He also took some grounders at first base late last season, and he could be worked into the mix there as well.
January 22, 200719 yr You don't think you could have skewed that post any more against Alex Sanchez do you WildMarlinMan2003? In ignoring his major league career you rendered your post not credible in any way, shape, form or manner. When I think of all the time you wasted creating that piece of fiction, the mind boggles. :thumbdown Alex Sanchez is a very flawed ballplayer and human being with a giant question mark on his back. Funny you didn't mention his .350BA in the winter leagues or his MLB numbers, you purposely chose the worst possible scenario. Unbelievable. I hope everyone votes for Sachez just because...
January 22, 200719 yr This is depressing that this may actually happen I guess I'd like to see Amazega/Ross platoon please please please make a trade sometime before the season starts Edit...ooops meant Ross
January 23, 200719 yr Sanchez. Because he's fast and he'll be a good top of the order bat. Not with that career OBP. He has a better career OBP than big name lead-off batter by the name of Alfonso Soriano. Please keep in mind - I am not comparing them in any other way, nor am I suggesting that Sanchez is anywhere near as offensively productive as Soriano. All I am saying is that if OBP is the measure of a leadoff batter, then Sanchez would be above Soriano in THAT category. And however strange it seems to most of us, Soriano will probably be batting leadoff for some time.
January 23, 200719 yr I want to see Reggie win the job, but not because I think he's the best player, just because he's an outstanding indvidual. I think all of the in house candidates for CF suck actually. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this forum. Which part? That I hope for a good person to succeed in his pursuit of lofty goals? That every single player on that list is a crappy option for CF? Both? :mischief2
January 23, 200719 yr Sanchez. Because he's fast and he'll be a good top of the order bat. Not with that career OBP. He has a better career OBP than big name lead-off batter by the name of Alfonso Soriano. Please keep in mind - I am not comparing them in any other way, nor am I suggesting that Sanchez is anywhere near as offensively productive as Soriano. All I am saying is that if OBP is the measure of a leadoff batter, then Sanchez would be above Soriano in THAT category. And however strange it seems to most of us, Soriano will probably be batting leadoff for some time. Soriano shouldnt be/isnt a leadoff hitter nor should Sanchez
January 23, 200719 yr Alex Sanchez is the only player on your list that has done anything in the major leagues. As far as his defense being poor....the only one on that list that was major league experience that is better as a CF is Eric Reed....and he couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag.
January 23, 200719 yr DeAza has the best rankings there, but he has so little experience. Whoever has the best ST wins this job.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.