Who do you want to see win the CF job?

He's not particularly fast, but Jim Edmonds isn't exactly a burner out there either & he certainly gets the job done. And what does speed matter if you can't read the ball? Not to knock on Amezaga because he was playing out of position, but we saw last year he misplayed plenty of balls. And I'm terrified to see what Alex Sanchez would do out there.

Part of the problem is we could maybe get by with a mediocre defensive CF if we had quality gloves in RF and LF, but in our case it's almost the opposite.

Look I'm not saying Borch would even be mediocre out there. Maybe he'd stink. But I think he should at least be given a shot. I'm praying it we have better options by the time spring training starts, but that's right around the corner.

Maybe Chad Hermansen will win the job, who knows.

As Rotoworld put it:

Marlins GM Admin Beinfest believes the newly acquired Alex Sanchez has a realistic chance to win the starting spot in center field this spring.

"He's had a lot of success in the big leagues," Beinfest said. "We like his speed. He can bunt. He can do a lot of things that put pressure on people."

Yes, he can put an awful lot of pressure on his own team's pitching staff with some of the worst center field play you'll ever see from a guy who has plenty of range. Considering that the Marlins only had one spot at which they really needed an upgrade, Beinfest's winter will have to be considered a failure if Sanchez does in fact win a starting job.

I hate the fact that we don't have one decent option to pick from...

This is CF, not RF. JOE BORCHARD is not athletic enough to play CF in the major leagues.

Joe Borchard is more than athletic enough to play CF

HAHA is this a joke RAMP? I thought you knew our players well.

Around the Horn: Outfielders

Willingham in left, Hermida in right, but who will be in center?

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

The following is the fourth in a series of weekly stories on MLB.com examining each Major League club, position by position. Each Wednesday until Spring Training camps open, we'll preview a different position. Today: Outfielders.

MIAMI -- Throughout his Minor League career, Josh Willingham always was a power bat in the middle of the order.

When the Florence, Ala., native entered Spring Training for his rookie season in 2006, the Marlins again projected him to provide some pop in the lineup. The question the organization asked itself was: Where would the 27-year-old play?

Early on, he was in the mix to catch, battling for the job with Miguel Olivo. During his days behind the plate, Willingham tweaked his back, causing concern that the grind of the position could limit Willingham's production.

So in the final days of Spring Training, Willingham was switched to left field, where he found a home.

As expected, the offensive numbers followed, as he delivered 26 home runs and drove in 74 runs while batting .277. Much of the second half, he batted cleanup behind slugger Miguel Cabrera.

With Spring Training set to begin on Feb. 17 at the Roger Dean Stadium complex in Jupiter, Fla., Willingham again is slotted for left field.

Knowing he will work with the outfielders from the start of Spring Training will be a relief for the former 17th-round draft pick in 2000.

"Last year, it was pretty much a learning-on-the-job type thing," Willingham said. "I didn't get work in the outfield in Spring Training. So my experience was more game experience."

Predictably, Willingham had his struggles in the field, mainly on reading balls off the bat. As the season went on, though, he felt he made great strides in the outfield.

"There were a few blunders," he said. "But, I think, if I had to give myself a grade in the field, I was average."

Despite some defensive lapses, Willingham ended up being the team's most productive outfielder a year ago.

In general, outfield was an up-and-down area for the club. This season, the team is looking for more consistency out of the other two spots.

The front-runner to again start in right field is Jeremy Hermida.

Hermida, who turns 23 on Jan. 30, had an injury-plagued rookie season, limiting the left-handed hitter to 99 games. He battled through a hip flexor problem early in the year, and was hampered by right ankle trouble the final month.

A standout Minor Leaguer, Hermida never got into a rhythm in his first full season in the big leagues. He batted .251 with five home runs and 28 RBIs.

Organizationally, the Marlins still see tremendous potential in Hermida. He was an All-Star as a Minor Leaguer, and widely regarded as a "can't miss" talent.

"It was a disappointing year for him," Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest said. "But it doesn't change our feelings about him. ... We believe he is going to be a really productive big leaguer."

If Hermida rebounds, it would add a tremendous boost to the lineup.

First baseman Mike Jacobs was the primary left-handed power bat a year ago. Hermida had been viewed as another lefty threat.

Whether the Marietta, Ga., native hits for more power remains to be seen. He has a keen eye, and he may end up hitting for average and getting on base more than being a big run producer.

Foremost for Hermida is staying healthy.

Entering spring, the only regular position without a frontrunner is center field.

For more than a year, the front office has explored trade options to upgrade the position. For the right fit, the team is willing to part with some of its young pitching.

Over the past few months, the Marlins explored dealing with Tampa Bay for B.J. Upton. And the team has had talks with the Red Sox for David Murphy.

Now, it appears clear the team will head into Spring Training with what it already has.

Veteran Alex Sanchez, who signed a Minor League contract, will get a shot to win the position.

A speedster, Sanchez last played in the big leagues for Tampa Bay in 2005.

The 30-year-old is a left-handed hitter with 122 career stolen bases in 427 games.

Because of their financial limitations, the Marlins' front office feels Sanchez is a low-risk, high-reward potential pickup.

Along with Sanchez, Alfredo Amezaga, Reggie Abercrombie, Eric Reed and Cody Ross will see action in center this spring.

Groomed as a backup middle infielder, Amezaga showed versatility and did a commendable job playing 78 games in the outfield a year ago. The switch-hitter batted .260 and added 20 stolen bases. Batting right-handed, though, he hit .091 (5-for-55).

Abercrombie is a gifted athlete who has struggled adjusting to the big leagues. A starter for much of the first half, Abercrombie ended up batting .212 with five home runs and 24 RBIs. He struck out 78 times in 255 at-bats.

There is upside to Abercrombie. He has tremendous raw ability and outstanding power. Last April, the Columbus, Ga., native belted a 493-foot home run at Cincinnati, which at the time was the third-longest homer in Great American Ball Park.

The top defensive center fielder in the system is Reed, a speedster who has labored off big-league pitching. Reed's best chance to win a job is if he improves offensively.

Ross is a versatile 26-year-old who can play all three outfield spots.

A left-handed thrower and right-handed hitter, Ross tied a club mark with three home runs in a game on Sept. 11 against the Mets. He added seven RBIs in that game.

WHY NO MENTION OF JOE BORCHARD YOU SAY? Because Joe Borchard is a big, slow, RFer. He should NEVER be an option for CF and never will! He will not play CF this year at all.

or because our beat reporter doesnt do his homework :thumbup

You can slice it anyway you want. Of course, you think you know everything related to the Marlins. Facts are facts buddy and Borchard is not an option in CF. He will be lucky to make the team with this year's competition. Amezaga and Ross are almost guaranteed spots. If Sanchez steps up then Borchard may be the odd man out. Borchard has to prove that he can hit over .200 consistantly before he even thinks about moving from a corner outfield spot to CF.

You can slice it anyway you want. Of course, you think you know everything related to the Marlins. Facts are facts buddy and Borchard is not an option in CF. He will be lucky to make the team with this year's competition. Amezaga and Ross are almost guaranteed spots. If Sanchez steps up then Borchard may be the odd man out. Borchard has to prove that he can hit over .200 consistantly before he even thinks about moving from a corner outfield spot to CF.

If Amezaga has a spot and not Borchard, it is only to be a utility IF. No one uses AVG to measure a player offensively. Borchard's OPS last season was way above Amezaga, his splits vs RHP (Amezaga's only offensive strength) were much better than Amezaga's. Not to mention defensively having a much better arm. The only thing Amezaga has on him is that he can run faster.

And if you want a fast guy with a high average and questionable Defense, you might as well say Sanchez, as hits for a higher average and also doesn't need a platoon.

That's an opinion, right now, not a fact.

Just because the front office might not come out and say he is a frontrunner for the position doesn't mean some of us aren't allowed to think he is physically capable and ultimately a better defensive and offensive option than people like Sanchez or Abercrombie.

He's definitely a better option than Abercrombie both defensively and offensively.

:lol

Thanks man, I needed some amusement. And "this years competition". We didnt exactly bring in Griffey Jr, Curtis Granderson and Andruw Jones.

Thanks man, I needed some amusement. And "this years competition". We didnt exactly bring in Griffey Jr, Curtis Granderson and Andruw Jones.

We didn't even bring in a Damon Hollins.

you beat me to that one Ramp. This year's competition! Ho ho!

WHY NO MENTION OF JOE BORCHARD YOU SAY? Because Joe Borchard is a big, slow, RFer. He should NEVER be an option for CF and never will! He will not play CF this year at all.

I'm half tempted to say he gets 1-2 games in CF... if only because out of his 174 career games... he's had 24 in CF... with no errors... then again it's only 47 TC too... I think he could be more than qualified to play centerfield for the Marlins... considering the only qualifications seem to be having legs and a glove... they'll supply the bat :p

Amusement is thinking that Joe Borchard is a MLB CFer. Joe Borchard has as much of a chance as being a tight end in the NFL as the CF for the Fish.

Borchard has significantly better chances at starting a game in CF in the majors this year than Campusano

Significantly is not true. I think Campusano is the real deal and will be called up this year. He has a slight chance over Jose ONLY because he is on the roster- the Marlins know he is not a CFer.

Why are we even having a discussion about Joe Borchard playing CF for the Marlins? He didn't play CF last year for the Marlins in 72 games. He played 1st base more than CF. He is simply not an option- exactly why he isn't included in this poll.

If anyone should be added to this list, it should be Chad Hermansen.

can someone present something that says Borchard is capable or being considered for CF? From what I know the White Sox wanted to move him off CF years ago because he didnt have the range and Id have to assume his range is even worse now. Add me to the quote list if you want...Borchard doesnt have the range or reads to play an average CF in Dolphins Stadium.

can someone present something that says Borchard is capable or being considered for CF? From what I know the White Sox wanted to move him off CF years ago because he didnt have the range and Id have to assume his range is even worse now. Add me to the quote list if you want...Borchard doesnt have the range or reads to play an average CF in Dolphins Stadium.

I agree with you. And it's not just Dolphins Stadium. He's just not very good. Borchard should be the primary power bat off the bench vs RHP, and spell Willingham occasionally. I don't think he should be in the starter discussion, even with what we have.

What about Cody? We all point out to his LHP slugging in 2006, but if you look at his 2004/2005 AB spent in Triple AAA he averaged about a .270/.335/.525 line (and limited AB in 06 he crushed a 1.000+ OPS). Sure MLB is filled with guys who crushed AAA and never made it in the bigs, but he's young and if he can hit a consistent .240-.250 next year vs RHP while still smacking the lefties, I think he could produce a .245/.315/.450 type line. And really, is that bad? From center field even with some weaker defense? Batting 7th? Cody did draw 271 walks in 2609 AB in the minors, and took 22 in 250 AB with the Fish last year. He doesn't have terrible OBP skills if he can ever just hit for average. He's the best of the bad options. If he somehow gets 500 AB for us next year, I'm not going to be shocked if he smacks 20-25 HR.

Would love to see an Amezaga/Ross platoon to start the year give lack of better options, and then see if we could shift the job to Cody by easing him into facing RHP. Maybe he can't do it, but Cody's power potential is worth a lot more then whatever middling offense A. Sanchez is going to produce, and further, the prospect that Cody might turn into a serviceable player for a few seasons.

Neither does Amezaga, Cody, Abercrombie and so forth. If anyone else was a capable CF this discussion wouldn't be ongoing. But we're looking for the best of the worst here. Borchard, a corner OF, has at least as much business in CF as a utility IF. Especially when he is a better hitter with more power.

I have it on good authority that Borch will atleast get a look at CF in ST.

I'm sure....you just can't admit you are wrong. We had the worst CF in the majors last year and Borchard played 72 games. Not once did he play CF. He has no chance man....give it up already, admit you are wrong, and move on. Borchard is a 6'4 guy who not very athletic, he's slow, oh yeah- he's 6'4 and weighs 240-250 lbs.

I'm sure....you just can't admit you are wrong. We had the worst CF in the majors last year and Borchard played 72 games. Not once did he play CF. He has no chance man....give it up already, admit you are wrong, and move on. Borchard is a 6'4 guy who not very athletic, he's slow, oh yeah- he's 6'4 and weighs 240-250 lbs.

lololol

I dont want to pile on Girardi because he is gone, but he didnt exactly the best eye for talent. And Joe is very athletic, especially for a big man.

Neither does Amezaga, Cody, Abercrombie and so forth. If anyone else was a capable CF this discussion wouldn't be ongoing. But we're looking for the best of the worst here. Borchard, a corner OF, has at least as much business in CF as a utility IF. Especially when he is a better hitter with more power.

fair enough...I agree he should get a look at the least

Joe Borchard - 6'4" 230lbs

Vernon Wells (the gold glove CF) - 6'1" 225lbs

Why does 3 inches of height and 5 pounds make someone incapable of playing CF? I'm not trying to suggest that Borchard would by any means be a good CF and comparable to Wells and the like, but the argument that "He is too big to play CF" is silly.

And do you really want to defend your argument by siding with the braintrust that sent Amezaga out to be dominated night-in and night-out by LHP?