Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spoke with a Marlins executive...

Featured Replies

My interpretation of "behind the firing of Girardi" was simply that the guy was in favor of it, the same way you would say you are "behind someone 100%." He was "behind the decision of firing Girardi 100%." Not that he was actually the one responsible for getting Girardi canned.

 

That isn't what he said. Convenient, but inaccurate. The exact line was "...He was behind the firing of Girardi."

I guess it's all a matter of perspective....since the word "behind" has a few different definitions, it's probably not really THAT outlandish that someone interpreted it differently...

 

be-hind

1.at or toward the rear of: Look behind the house.

2.not keeping up with, later than; after: behind schedule.

3.in the state of making less progress than: We can't afford to fall behind our competitors.

4.on the farther side of; beyond: behind the mountain.

5.originating, supporting, or promoting: Who's behind this program?

i.e. "He was behind/supporting the firing of Girardi."

i.e. "He was behind/promoting the firing of Girardi."

6.hidden or unrevealed by: Malice lay behind her smile.

7.at the controls of: behind the wheel of a car. i.e. "He was behind/in control of the firing of Girardi."

8.at or toward the rear; rearward: to lag behind.

9.in a place, state, or stage already passed.

10.in arrears; behindhand: to be behind in one's rent.

11.slow, as a watch or clock: more than 20 minutes behind.

12.as a cause or often latent feature of: Behind their harassment lay the traditional fear of foreigners.

13.in a situation that exists afterward: The victim left behind a large family.

14.Archaic. in reserve; to come: Greater support is yet behind.

15.following: the man behind.

16.Informal. the buttocks.

 

 

Well that's strange.....seems a few of those would make sense in that particular context... :mischief2

 

courtesy of dictionary.com

I don't know what he meant by the 'behind' part, but Wild Card wouldn't make something like this up.

 

Could this guy with a WS ring have been pulling a fast one on him? Sure, but I wouldn't question that this conversation took place.

I'm simply saying that he was probably talking to a George Costanza type front office guy.

 

I'm sure the guy stopped at that Starbucks on his way to some "assignment" "downtown" for Mr. Wilhelm. Hey, who knows, maybe on Opening Day we'll see the Marlins wearing cotton uniforms instead of polyester.

 

Initial reviews were glowing: "Dontrelle Willis: 'What a fabric! Finally we can breathe.' Anibal Sanchez: 'Cotton is king.' Jeremy Hermida: 'I never dreamed anything could be so soft and fluffy.'"

 

Or maybe this guy really does hate Loria and is spouting these things because he's been offered a job as Head of Scouting by the Braves and needs to get fired by the Marlins to get that job. Look out in the news for some incident soon. I can see it now, he's going to tie one of the World Series trophies to the back of his car and drag it around the Dolphin Stadium parking lot, yelling, though a bullhorn: "Attention, Loria and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0."

 

:D

My interpretation of "behind the firing of Girardi" was simply that the guy was in favor of it, the same way you would say you are "behind someone 100%." He was "behind the decision of firing Girardi 100%." Not that he was actually the one responsible for getting Girardi canned.

I'm shocked that anyone would have made that initial assumption.

No one did, well, except for one in their straw man argument.

 

Could this guy with a WS ring have been pulling a fast one on him? Sure, but I wouldn't question that this conversation took place.

Well, it's not like any thing that was discovered is necessarily new information. It's common knowledge that our scouting system is top notch and that there was disagreement and disrespect felt on part of both Girardi and the front office. And it takes little imagination that there's some animosity between Beinfest, his assistants and his and their admirers and the ones who control the resources they have to work with (as we see it even among richer clubs).

More than eighty world series rings were distributed plus roughly twice that number of "official" replicas, so that's well over 200 of them floating around.

 

I do think though this idea that there is "animosity" between Loria and Beinfest is at least unsubstantiated and at most just BS. Beinfest had at least two chances I can think of to move on and hasn't, and has been richly rewarded in not just money but title, having been elevated to Executive Vice President and in charge of all baseball operations as well as GM.

 

No doubt he'd rather be working with a $90 million payroll, and I don't pretend to know the guy well, but he seems comfortable in his job and happy to be here. Every employe*e* has a problem with his boss and vice versa from time to time, something would be wrong if that weren't the case, but I think the word "animosity" is the wrong one.

My interpretation of "behind the firing of Girardi" was simply that the guy was in favor of it, the same way you would say you are "behind someone 100%." He was "behind the decision of firing Girardi 100%." Not that he was actually the one responsible for getting Girardi canned.

 

I agree.

  • Author

Yes, the guy was simply in favor of Girardi being fired, not the one actually responsible for it.

 

I don't know what this guy does for the Marlins, but he stated he works in the front office and both times that I've seen him he was sporting a black Marlins polo shirt and flaunting a world series ring, so I don't exactly find that hard to believe. I have no idea what he does for the Marlins, but he knew what he was talking about when it came to this team, and I took his opinions in high reguard.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.