Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired

JonDigital

Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Wow. I did not realize how much of his current staff he lost this offseason. Any idea where he might land if anywhere?

Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Wow. I did not realize how much of his current staff he lost this offseason. Any idea where he might land if anywhere?

If he would have gotten fired a few weeks ago he would have been hired within 2 days of getting fired. I dont even know what teams are still looking?

Would this team classify as the best team ever taken over by a first year coach? I mean seriously.. talk about walking into a good situation, other than having to fill a staff on short notice.

Same Ferentz's name mentioned for the first time in a fox sports article.

Just read that they've received permission to interview 4 people: Norv Turner, Ron Rivera, Mike Singeltary and Rex Ryan. Interesting that the last 3 all have ties to the '85 Bears. :)

Would like to see Samurai Mike get the job and hope Rivera stays for one more year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.