Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Knocked Up

Featured Replies

Quality movie...

 

Weren't too many hysterical moments, but definitely laughed throughout the entire movie

 

Again probably was a little a longer than it needed to be

looking forward to catching this one - taking full advantage of the AMC morning cinema ($5 tickets before noon)

 

really do not like katherine heigel, don't find her to be that attractive and not really a good actress - but the guy is pretty funny

Its unfair to compare Knocked Up to Apatow's first directed film, The 40 Year Old Virgin (one of my interchangeabley top 3 comedy movies ever), but you almost feel compelled to as it has similar characters and a smiliar feel to the story and its a comedy thats suppossed to be realistic and have a 'message'.

 

Rogen is great and Heigl is fine but the movie has about a 30-40 minute literal drought of laughs and interest for me. 40yov did the realistic 'comedy with a heart' storyline infinitely better than this did and mixed the comedy and kept you engaged throughout while Knocked Up was unable to do that for me especially after it had such a great start.

 

I get what Apatow was trying to do with showing Heigl's character's sister's family and comparing and contrasting and foreshadowing, etc. but it was only okay and like I said it really slowed the pacing of the movie and the laughs.

 

I would have liked to see more of Rogen's 'crew' as they easily had the best lines and could have had some great interactions between Heigl, Rogen, and that band of misfits.

 

40yov is one of the best buddy flicks and comedies of all-time. You loved the characters and I can watch that movie over and over, I'm not sure I could sit through Apatow's romantic comedy again.

 

6/10

Or MaYbe WE haVe DiffrUnT OpiNIonS aN' TaStez!

 

lolz!

I know, I was just kidding. However, I thought I was the tough one when it came to movies...

Saw it over the weekend.

 

While I'd agree that there was a period later in the movie that was kinda painful to sit through (the excursion to Vegas, among other things, was in this stretch), overall, it was an enjoyable movie.

 

And Heigl was fine as hell.

 

I'd tap that ass, even if it had herpes.

Just got back from this. Pretty excellent movie.

 

I don't know if it was funnier than 40 Year-Old Virgin, but I actually thought the love story in the middle of it all worked a little better. Or at least it was more central to the movie. I mean, Catherine Keener's barely in the first half of 40 Year-Old Virgin. I can't make a call which movie is better, since I've seen 40 Year-Old Virgin like 10 times, and this only once. But this is up there.

 

Heigl annoyed me in her first couple scenes. I think she was still in Grey's Anatomy mode...over-emoting and what not...especially in that scene where she was driving those kids to school. I thought she was going to annoy me the whole movie, but either she got better or I got used to her. She even had some pretty funny moments towards the end.

 

Special props go out to Darrell from The Office, whose scene as the bouncer was awesome...and to whoever that chick was who played one of the bosses at E! I thought she was hysterical in a subdued kind of way.

 

I think Apatow needs to do something a little different for his next flick, though. This was similar to 40 Year-Old Virgin in so many ways. If his next movie is as similar, it might start to feel a little formulaic. There's a reason why the third film in a trilogy always seems to be the worst.

Hey, Fox...I just realized the reason why you probably weren't completely sold on this movie. It's because they dissed Matthew Fox, isn't it? They said nothing was interesting about Matthew Fox like 20 minutes in the movie, and from that point on, how could you possibly love a movie that went after the man you love?

:lol

 

I thought that was hillarious and it was even funnier how the 4 other people I were with all immediately looked at me. :lol :lol :lol

So"]

I just thought a lot of the momentum it had going for it after a damn good beginning really came to a halt when Rogen and Heigl had their fight. The Vegas trip did nothing for me. The Rudd and Rogen chemistry was just not there to me, amazing considering how awesome they were in 40yov. I also hated that scene where the two women went back to the club and the bouncer talked to them. Ugh.

 

Ending would have been better without that hard ass Doc as well.

 

For such a good start it really got long in parts and had a large dead period to me.

I thought the Vegas part was the best part of the movie.

 

I also like Ryan Seacrest a lot more after seeing this. I watched an American Idol clip where him and Randy were going after each other and it made me think of this movie, and I just laughed my ass off. I really don't think he's as much of a nice guy as he has to pretend he is.

I've always thought Seacrest was cool after he lent his voice to do himself on 'Robot Chicken' and a lot of the stuff was making fun of him hosting Idol and him being possibly gay.

:lol

 

I thought that was hillarious and it was even funnier how the 4 other people I were with all immediately looked at me. :lol :lol :lol

So"]

I just thought a lot of the momentum it had going for it after a damn good beginning really came to a halt when Rogen and Heigl had their fight. The Vegas trip did nothing for me. The Rudd and Rogen chemistry was just not there to me, amazing considering how awesome they were in 40yov. I also hated that scene where the two women went back to the club and the bouncer talked to them. Ugh.

 

Ending would have been better without that hard ass Doc as well.

 

For such a good start it really got long in parts and had a large dead period to me.

 

Yeah, you hated some of my favorite parts. I had a lot of favorite parts, though.

Hate's a strong word and I didn't hate the Vegas scene but I did hate that bouncer scene.

 

Was Apatow trying to make some big stirring social statement or something with that scene?

Hate's a strong word and I didn't hate the Vegas scene but I did hate that bouncer scene.

 

Was Apatow trying to make some big stirring social statement or something with that scene?

 

I don't know why the bouncer scene was there, but I thought it was pretty funny. Not necessary, but funny. I think he's at his best when dealing with small issues (Why people are gay, why Asia is gay, why chairs don't even make sense unless you are sitting in them) than big issues (Why black people aren't allowed into clubs, or something).

Exactly, play to your strengths.

 

Rogen's gang of friends like I said in my 'review' were so underused it isn't even funny. The movie started off friggin' hillarious with the rapid fire banter and up to date realistic comedy and discussions that people my age and my friends and I have.

 

That guy from 'How I Met Your Mother' was amazing but didn't get near the screen time he needed. When they finally brought him back in the hospital he had me dying with his continuous flirtation of Heigl's friend (as you can tell I don't remember a single character's name from this movie) and being the 'brains' of that group. Such a good character.

 

We needed more of them and less car ride scenes and that random baby store scene (when he came out and saw that Heigl was a bit 'ashamed' of him that was barely developed or with purpose so why even have it?).

That guy from 'How I Met Your Mother' was amazing but didn't get near the screen time he needed. When they finally brought him back in the hospital he had me dying with his continuous flirtation of Heigl's friend (as you can tell I don't remember a single character's name from this movie) and being the 'brains' of that group. Such a good character.

 

Fox, have you ever watched Freaks And Geeks? You need to watch that show, you'll love it. It's got more of Apatow's quick fire dialogue, but with some of the most hysterically awkward scenes and characters ever. It's not as laugh out loud funny as his movies, but it's probably some of the most accurate portrayals of teenage awkwardness ever. Can't reccomend that show enough (Plus the soundtrack kicks f***ing ass).

I've wanted to see it for a while now but haven't gotten around to picking it up even with my absurd ammount of FYE store credit.

 

I've got so much stuff in my 'to watch' queue.

See, I think they used Rogen's friends just right. They were comic relief. And they were a little ridiculous...hilarious, but ridiculous. Which works when you kind of keep them on the periphery. But if you bring them too much into the center of the movie, then the movie loses a lot of its true-to-lifeness that I think provides a lot of the oomph behind the jokes. It becomes more like a Will Ferrell movie, where none of the characters are really believeable as people. And that can still be hilarious, but I like comedy a lot more when there's a sense of truth behind it.

 

EDIT: I've also always wanted to see Freaks & Geeks. I've heard such great things about it, and I basically know I'd love. But where to find the time?

But those guys were just like the 40 year old virgin guys, and that movie was just as realistic and believable, in terms of how the characters worked and interacted.

 

 

Fox: http://tv-links.co.uk/show.do/1/3001 Watch these episodes at least. It sucks that the final 8 aren't on there, as I'd say the 2nd half of the season is way stronger than the first. The last 3 episodes of F&G are as good as any episodes of any show ever. I'm so sad that it ended after one season.

 

Mabdul, when I get back to living at FIU I'll be closer to you and I can let you borrow it sometime if you want.

I refuse to use that site plus I'd rather enjoy it on TV I can't watch much anything on the computer for long periods if I can have a choice.

 

I could possibly pick it up this weekend, I've got all that FYE credit that I 'need' to use.

 

That said, I don't know when I'll get to watch it.

I refuse to use that site plus I'd rather enjoy it on TV I can't watch much anything on the computer for long periods if I can have a choice.

 

I could possibly pick it up this weekend, I've got all that FYE credit that I 'need' to use.

 

That said, I don't know when I'll get to watch it.

 

I really can't reccomend it enough. It's one of my top 5 tv shows of all time (up there with Scrubs and Seinfeld and the like). What I did was borrowed the DVD's from a friend and we just watched them like 4 at a time for a few nights in a row when we were in the dorms.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.