Old Music Thread

Passion

I clicked bobbob's link and was ready to fire off Entwistle if it wasn't him in the video, I was pleased to see it was him he was linking too. :)

Well done.

Some other bassists I like:

Jack Bruce, Les Claypool (underrated), John Paul Jones, Tim Commerford, Oteil Burbridge, Chris Squire

Squire is worth being mentioned solely for his work on "Roundabout".

Guest Night Phantom

I feel like Flea's got all of the talent in the world, but he's not that musical.

Kind of like the entire lineup of Dream Theater.

I feel you, though.

As for bassists, I like JJ's list with the addition of Cliff Burton. He didn't have much to put on the record, but what he did produce was astounding. His solo of For Whom the Bell Tolls is insane.

When discussing all-time bass players there is only one bassist that comes to mind.

Adam Clayton Jr :|

An underrated bassist. He knows how to serve a song well. Not a great technical bassist, but he never makes the common mistake of trampling over a song. It would be really easy to ruin those early U2 songs by overplaying, but he stuck to the groove. He wasn't technically proficient, but he knew how to stay out of a song.

Neil Peart.

Keith Moon.

John Bonham.

Andy Copeland.

And that's just in classic rock.

A lot of those guys go on basically reputation alone. Not that I'm saying they're not good, not that I'm saying they're not very good. Keith Moon expecially is very good sh*t.

This guy is very

aswell though. Expecially

When discussing all-time bass players there is only one bassist that comes to mind.

An underrated bassist. He knows how to serve a song well. Not a great technical bassist, but he never makes the common mistake of trampling over a song. It would be really easy to ruin those early U2 songs by overplaying, but he stuck to the groove. He wasn't technically proficient, but he knew how to stay out of a song.

Hopefully you realized I was only half joking. U2 and Clayton have been a big part of the soundtrack of my life. His play has always been solid and his tone incredible.

But he'll never be confused as one of the greatest bass players of all time.

Hopefully you realized I was only half joking. U2 and Clayton have been a big part of the soundtrack of my life. His play has always been solid and his tone incredible.

But he'll never be confused as one of the greatest bass players of all time.

I know were joking, I was defending him anyways.

So I just saw a production of "Tommy". Man, that's got some great music, and it's got me in a big who mood. They were so good.

Summertime Blues

Also, who do you guys think would be your dream band? Vocals, drum, bass, guitar (keys if you want, though I'd probably go with out).

Vocals- Freddie Mercury. Jeez, he had a set of pipes, he could sing any style.

(Honorable mentions for Jeff Buckley, late 60's early 70's Roger Daltrey, Paul McCartney)

Guitar- Eric Clapton

(HM: EVH, Hendrix, Townshend)

Bass- John Entwistle

(HM: Paul McCartney)

Drums: Keith Moon

(HM: Bonham, Ringo Starr)

I think it says a lot when I my dream rhythym section actually played together.

Toe's discography (post-rock instrumental band, very very good music)...I uploaded it for a couple friends (no torrents for it exsist, atleast none that I could find) and figured I might aswell post it around.

http://misc.selftitled.net/Toe.rar

Inclues two EPs, one full CD, one re-mix+one new song, a cover they contributed to a Husking Bee tribute album, and a .flv of performing Goodbye with Toki Asako at Fuji Rock Fest.

Also, who do you guys think would be your dream band? Vocals, drum, bass, guitar (keys if you want, though I'd probably go with out).

Vocals- Freddie Mercury. Jeez, he had a set of pipes, he could sing any style.

(Honorable mentions for Jeff Buckley, late 60's early 70's Roger Daltrey, Paul McCartney)

Guitar- Eric Clapton

(HM: EVH, Hendrix, Townshend)

Bass- John Entwistle

(HM: Paul McCartney)

Drums: Keith Moon

(HM: Bonham, Ringo Starr)

I think it says a lot when I my dream rhythym section actually played together.

So basically, The Who = dream band.

Bobbob, how was VH1's documentary on The Who? I wasn't able to catch it when it aired. (No cable in dorms. Have to rely on slingbox.)

It was really quite good, some great candid interviews with Pete and Roger. I had no real idea how long they had been together as the Detours, Small Faces, High Numbers, etc before they even became the Who. And it's cool to see how they changed from before Keith joined and then how they changed during their various periods.

Really quite good, I reccomend picking it up or trying to watch it sometime.

Guest Night Phantom

Nope, San Francisco symphony. It was a concert they did with Metallica live. The combo of the band, the orchestra, and the crowd is crazy throughout the whole performance and comes together especially in their masterpiece.

It's from the CD S&M, which I think is Metallica's best work.

• 2 weeks later...