Marlins-only House bill moves on to next committee's agenda

CapeFish

Just to report...HB323 passed Favorably - Next onto the Policy & Budget Council - Also an HB1079 update

Added to Second Reading Calendar Friday, April 20, 2007 1:55 AM

Bill referred to House Calendar Friday, April 20, 2007 1:55 AM

Looks like all the momentum is in the House - Hopefully this gets to a vote and sent down to Senate

next week. Lets not take it to the last day as always seems to happen. :whistle

Anyone with any further insight is always welcome on the board. :rolleyes:

At some point (and god know I don't want this) with MLB running this show for the last six months and David Samson's mouth pretty much crazy-glued shut no one can blame either party if they finally say, "okay we love South Florida, but we gve up" and together they just pack up (in the figurative sense) and move elsewhere.

And as I've been saying, they may take the Devil Rays with them and leave Florida with no major league baseball. Which is what the state deserves if they can't/won't pass the sales tax rebate which is a money-maker for them. Let's watch the state lose 6% on the cumulative sales at both stadiums for 30 years and let them explain to their constituents how they gave up $350 million in tax revenues because they wouldn't kick in a small piece up front.

The next step of course would be for MLB to set a course that moves all spring training away from Florida and to Arizona where the state is throwing money at any team that wants to relocate there. It could cost the state billions in revenue.

The reason for the rant? Well, the fact that we haven't heard these kinds of rumors being floated still gives me hope that a deal will get done in Tallahassee this year. if and when you start reading rumors to this effect you'll know things are in trouble. MLB had no problem playing hardball in Wshington, DC, so if they need to, I would assume they will here.

miamibaseball,

What you are saying makes no sense. If the Marlins are planning to leave Dade County at the table, they will not be getting a ballpark anywhere.

the guy who work for marlins told me that their have been talking about with in marlins org but their not talk about it out in public but their do have plan B if A donot work out

The only other option outside of Dade that has been mentioned has been Pompano Park. Perhaps something could be worked out there, but it still seems most likely that the best chance of this happening is in Miami since they have been the only area that has stated that they want to partner with the team.

I can't believe that any "plan B" can even come close to having the potential for of a deal as Miami-Dade has. No other potential site can only be $30 million away from its completion. In my opinion, it would be totally illogical to even consider another location at this stage of the game. At least not yet.