Horton and Weiss want to stay!

Fishfan79

Horton, Weiss want to stay with Panthers

By Steve Gorten

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posted May 16 2007

SUNRISE -- Contrary to a report in February that he was unhappy and hoped to play elsewhere next season, Panthers center Nathan Horton said Tuesday he wants to sign a long-term deal with the team.

"There's no question I want to stay here. It's so much fun and it's going to be a place to be the next couple of years," Horton said at a free barbecue for fans at BankAtlantic Center. "Definitely, watching the playoffs, we're going to be there next year."

LocalLinks

Horton and center Stephen Weiss, the team's second- and fourth-leading scorers last season, and defenseman Bryan Allen are key players among nine restricted free agents the Panthers don't have under contract for next season. Weiss won't become unrestricted for another two seasons, Horton for another three.

But there have been rumors Horton, who had a career-best 31 goals and 31 assists in his third year, would attempt to have his agent get an offer sheet from another team that the Panthers wouldn't match.

Horton, a native of Ontario, said Tuesday he's focused on staying in South Florida this offseason to train with strength and conditioning coach Andy O'Brien. Weiss, also coming off a career-best season (20 goals, 28 assists), said he hopes he's proven his worth and a deal will get done.

"I was drafted here," he said. "I want to be a part of the solution."

Both would prefer multi-year deals to a one-year qualifying offer.

Tuesday, the Panthers announced an alumni game July 28 at BankAtlantic Center featuring the 1995-96 Eastern Conference championship team. Bill Lindsay and Ray Sheppard attended the barbecue.

John Vanbiesbrouck, Scott Mellanby, Ray Whitney and Ed Jovanovski are among those scheduled to play in the game. Tickets at the door will be a $5 donation to the alumni association.

Murphy impressive

Coach Jacques Martin said he was impressed watching recently signed defenseman Cory Murphy for the first time at the World Championships, where Murphy played for Canada and Martin was Canada's assistant general manager. "He has great skills and great anticipation," Martin said.

Steve Gorten can be reached at [email protected]

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/...sports-panthers

a little old but this should be in here too:

The Panthers and Minnesota Wild could be discussing a trade that might send goalie Manny Fernandez to Florida, speculates the Palm Beach Post.

Panthers' coach/GM Jacques Martin and Wild GM Doug Risebrough are both at the world championships in Moscow, prompting speculation that the two sides are talking

Fernandez, who lost his starting position to Niklas Backstrom, is expected to be dealt if the Wild re-sign Backstrom, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Panthers are supposedly in the market for a new No.1 goalie.

Fernandez, 32, has two years left on his current contract. According to the Post, he is to earn $4.5 million next season and $4.75 million in 2008-09.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/fla070507.html

The line of Olsez, Horton, Weiss was great last year I hope they keep it together.

Also Why would the wyld trade Fernandez when Backstrom is a FA?

well who would the panthers trade for manny?

imho we need auld AS A BACKUP and there is a chance Eddie could be watching Hasek saying "you k now what, I think I might have another year left in me" so that could pose another issue as well.

Alumni game July 28 for $5...I'm there

a 2nd or 3rd rounder most likely they supposedly want to dump the salary and resign Backstrom (whom we like). I doubt we can get JSG, would love it if we could though instead.

Fernandez would give us a good shot at the playoffs I think next year at least.