Broward County wants to dump WIOD over Rush

CapeFish

http://www.miamiherald.com/466/story/138174.html

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...-home-headlines

So what is the Broward County Commission going to do? Force WIOD to not cover Broward County news during hurricane events? WIOD is only the state and federally designated EAS station for Metro South Florida and it offers the best signal along with being the only newsradio in town.

Looking at the stations that may replace WIOD....

WLRN is owned by the Dade County School Board and WFTL is licensed to Palm Beach County.

Dumb move Broward County....but hey, what's new?

I could understand if WIOD aired Rush over their news conferences consistently breaking their agreement, but that has not happened.

Plus, the deal was signed last year. Rush has been on WIOD for about 10 years or so now.

What's next? Broward Hurricane Guides can only be blue so they don't look like they have any connection to the GOP?

The gist of this thread so far is Liberal=evil, stupid, etc. Nice to see the other side is just as capable of making idiotic knee jerk statements as we are.

This is a really stupid idea, but I think it's more symbolic than anything. I really don't think anything will come of this. The majority of people, no matter how liberal, aren't stupid enough to see this as a positive.

I am not even 30 but it is amazing the how politics has completely deteriorated in my life time . this is just another example of the hatred that exists by the fringe elements that seem to dominate both political parties these days. it is not as if limbaugh will be interjecting his poltical commentary during the hurricanes for God's sake

I am not even 30 but it is amazing the how politics has completely deteriorated in my life time . this is just another example of the hatred that exists by the fringe elements that seem to dominate both political parties these days. it is not as if limbaugh will be interjecting his poltical commentary during the hurricanes for God's sake

They've always been around. But they never had a real mouthpiece to talk from.

You can blame it on the internet or news stations with little else better to do than to talk to fringe political movements because they perk ears up. But yeah, politics hasn't deteriorated, the fringe elements have just been able to yell louder.

I guess in a roundabout way, that means politics has deteriorated. :confused

This is a strictly symbolic move by the politicos. Why not make a symbolic gesture directed towards a blow-hard doped-up showman. As much as I dislike Rush, he's not a stupid man. Heck, I think he's deep down more of a liberal than a conservative, but he goes with what pays for the bills, and the pills. It's obviously idiotic to have any other station besides WIOD. They do have the strongest signal, and this is the most important factor in a public safety issue.

I've been through hurricane aftermaths. I like the idea of having WIOD informing the public and pre-empting Rush. The aftermath of a hurricane is bad enough. It would only be worse if they pre-empted some other station and left us sitting in the heat and dark with Rush as the only strong signal option beyond the public safety stations. Ugghh.

Guest Night Phantom

They've always been around. But they never had a real mouthpiece to talk from.

You can blame it on the internet or news stations with little else better to do than to talk to fringe political movements because they perk ears up. But yeah, politics hasn't deteriorated, the fringe elements have just been able to yell louder.

I guess in a roundabout way, that means politics has deteriorated. :confused It'll eventually even out and those groups will fade away. The exposure will turn the public off to a point IMO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.