Panthers Week that Was

Beinfest4Prez

Welcome to the first edition of the "The Week that Was," the blog's weekly recap of Panthers action. Each and every we will give a summary and analysis of the previous weeks events.

Summary of Moves

This week started out slowly for the Panthers. Rumors continued to swirl around about the Panthers targeting a new goaltender whether free agent (Jean-Sebastien Giguere) or through trade (Vesa Toskala; Evgeni Nabokov; Ilya Bryzgalov; Manny Fernandez) (Source for above rumor) All in all, a pretty normal start to the week for the Panthers.

On Wednesday, June 13th, the action heated up. Early in the afternoon, the Panthers announced that they had resigned Bryan Allen to a five-year deal reportedly worth $14.5 million dollars in total. Later that day, in the evening, the Panthers traded forward Chris Gratton to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a conditional second round draft pick in either the 2007 draft or the 2008 draft. Miami Herald: Panthers' Gratton traded; Allen signs; Palm Beach Post: Panthers make two moves

On Thursday, we brought you the exclusive news that the Panthers offered Nathan Horton a six-year deal. We are still waiting on confirmation of that report, however from everything Jacques has said, this seems a very likely deal.

The rest of the week has the team preparing for the 2007 draft in Columbus. With four picks in the first two rounds (one in the first, three in the second [One from Detroit for Todd Bertuzzi, and another from Tampa Bay for Chris Gratton]) Many rumors are swirling that with the cleared payroll that the Panthers are going to use a package of picks and one of the NHL capable defenseman (Branislav Mezei?) to trade for a goalie (Toskala? Bryzgalov?) Sun-Sentinel: Trade winds blow smoke. I will likely be going to the Panthers draft party on Friday. I will report on the experience this weekend and on Thursday, will post a short draft preview of what to expect from the Panthers.

Analysis of Moves

Bryan Allen resigned to a five-year deal: Bryan Allen flourished as a Panthers defensemen when he found his comfort zone in the middle of the year. Alongside Jay Bouwmeester, the two played the most solid defense the Cats have seen in years. Each could be counted on for minutes, offense (moreso from Jay), and physical play (moreso from Bryan). There were several stretches this year where the opposition did not score goals when both were on the ice together.

The Panthers now have four defensemen under contract for at least the next two years (Cory Murphy for two; Ruslan Salei and Mike Van Ryn for three; Bryan Allen for five). Jacques Martin has also gone on the record as saying "he plans to launch talks with the agent of Jay Bouwmeester after July 1, the first day negotiations can begin with players already under contract for next season." (Palm Beach Post: Panthers make two moves) The Panthers defense core is very solid, especially with the additions of Noah Welch and Cory Murphy. I fully expect this year to be something of a breakout year for the defense, even though it improved tremendously last year as evidenced by the lower shot totals per game against.

Chris Gratton traded for a Conditional Second Round Draft Pick in 2007 or 2008: Chris Gratton is one of the best guys in hockey. Always honest and willing to give something more than the sports cliches in sound bytes; however, he simply did not fit into our plans. He was in Jacques' dog house for most of the season. He simply didn't meld well. I like this move a lot (by the way, someone mentioned that has any team invested more in one player [one draft pick, two trades] than the Lightning with Chris Gratton?). Not only does it free up his $1.5 million salary, but the roster is becoming more and more a Jacques Martin squad than a Mike Keenen squad (how he continues to get jobs, I will never know).

We will see what happens in the next week. It figures to be one of the more exciting weeks in a long time for the Panthers!

http://flpanthers.blogspot.com/2007/06/wee...1007-61607.html

What do ya'll think? I just wrote that up for the blog. :mischief

Very nice writeup. I can't wait to see how the team shapes up. If they can get Horton and maybe Weiss signed this week and trade for a goalie, much happiness will ensue.

Another good thing about this week was Keenan signing with Calgary. It doesn't really effect the Panthers at all, but it was good for a laugh.

Very nice writeup. I can't wait to see how the team shapes up. If they can get Horton and maybe Weiss signed this week and trade for a goalie, much happiness will ensue.

Another good thing about this week was Keenan signing with Calgary. It doesn't really effect the Panthers at all, but it was good for a laugh.

Both Keenan and Luongo come back to Florida this year. Can't wait. :mischief

George Richards wrote that he hopes that the NHL schedules the two close enough together to Luongo and Keenan can be in the same hotel lobby and bump into each other in Florida. :shifty

Shiza. Hartnell was traded to the Flyers along with Kimmo Timmonen and both of them signed 6 year deals.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Damn I really wanted us to get Hartnell. How much was the deal?

He's getting 6-years and 4.2 million per. Timmonen is getting 6 years and over 6 million per.

A little ridiculous for both players. But whatever.

Now I won't feel bad if the Panthers didn't sign Hartnell if he became an UFA.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.