Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Time to try Hermida at the leadoff spot

Featured Replies

This has nothing to do with Fredo's play.. I think hes done a great job this year for us at the leadoff spot.

 

But I think its time to shake things up. I know its not the offenses fault we're losing games, for the most part, but with Jake back and giving us another LH bat in the 6 spot, i say shake things up... see if Hermida can get it going at the top of the lineup. If anything, itd be interesting to see how he responds to a new role. If he can get it going like we know he can, a 1-6 of Hermida, Uggla, Hanley, Cabs, Hammer and Jake has the potential to be pretty damn good, imo.

 

 

..and fwiw, im all for boone playing vs. lefties and getting as many ABs as possible.. hes deserved it. Jake just needs to play.

This has nothing to do with Fredo's play.. I think hes done a great job this year for us at the leadoff spot.

 

But I think its time to shake things up. I know its not the offenses fault we're losing games, for the most part, but with Jake back and giving us another LH bat in the 6 spot, i say shake things up... see if Hermida can get it going at the top of the lineup. If anything, itd be interesting to see how he responds to a new role. If he can get it going like we know he can, a 1-6 of Hermida, Uggla, Hanley, Cabs, Hammer and Jake has the potential to be pretty damn good, imo.

 

 

..and fwiw, im all for boone playing vs. lefties and getting as many ABs as possible.. hes deserved it. Jake just needs to play.

 

Hermida is our player best suited to the role.

I'd say second makes more sense at this point.

 

 

 

agreed, put hermida 2nd and move uggla down.

Hermida, Hanley, Amezega... I don't care, as long as its not Carroll.

 

I was at the game today and after Kim had his at bat, I thought to myself, "Ok, good, top of the lineup" but then I realized Carroll was batting leadoff and we were doomed for that inning.

Hermida, Hanley, Amezega... I don't care, as long as its not Carroll.

 

I was at the game today and after Kim had his at bat, I thought to myself, "Ok, good, top of the lineup" but then I realized Carroll was batting leadoff and we were doomed for that inning.

 

Conceding doom when Carroll is batting is lunacy.

  • Author

Originally i thought hanley in the 3 spot was fine until jake came back, then we could move him back to leadoff.. but now im in love with the 3-4 of hanley/cabs and hope we see that combo for a long time. As for uggla, im in the group that wants him not moving from the #2 spot.

Hermida, Hanley, Amezega... I don't care, as long as its not Carroll.

 

I was at the game today and after Kim had his at bat, I thought to myself, "Ok, good, top of the lineup" but then I realized Carroll was batting leadoff and we were doomed for that inning.

 

Conceding doom when Carroll is batting is lunacy.

 

Well he went 0 for 4 today and really hurt us at some key times during the game. The man only has 3 major league hits and is batting .158 now.

 

I know he's a rookie and I think he will improve, but today, I really don't understand why Amezega or Hermida didn't start instead of him.

Or... we can have Hanley back in the leadoff spot where he belongs.

 

Guys with .500 slugging percentages shouldn't be anywhere near the leadoff spot.

Hermida, Hanley, Amezega... I don't care, as long as its not Carroll.

 

I was at the game today and after Kim had his at bat, I thought to myself, "Ok, good, top of the lineup" but then I realized Carroll was batting leadoff and we were doomed for that inning.

 

Conceding doom when Carroll is batting is lunacy.

 

Well he went 0 for 4 today and really hurt us at some key times during the game. The man only has 3 major league hits and is batting .158 now.

 

I know he's a rookie and I think he will improve, but today, I really don't understand why Amezega or Hermida didn't start instead of him.

 

Hes had 19 at bats and has been killing the ball all year. Some on this site are so fickle.

Or... we can have Hanley back in the leadoff spot where he belongs.

 

Guys with .500 slugging percentages shouldn't be anywhere near the leadoff spot.

 

Give this man a cookie!

Or... we can have Hanley back in the leadoff spot where he belongs.

 

Guys with .500 slugging percentages shouldn't be anywhere near the leadoff spot.

 

Give this man a cookie!

 

but hes fast dood`

As for uggla, im in the group that wants him not moving from the #2 spot.

Why?

 

I mean, I'm no expert, but I'd say it probably has something to do with him hitting for an .834 OPS this year and his sort of absurd .841 OPS last year in the 2nd spot. It's the place he has the most success.

As for uggla, im in the group that wants him not moving from the #2 spot.

Why?

 

I mean, I'm no expert, but I'd say it probably has something to do with him hitting for an .834 OPS this year and his sort of absurd .841 OPS last year in the 2nd spot. It's the place he has the most success.

 

He started slow last season, and was moved to the #2 spot. Then he picked it up.

He started slow this season, and didn't move at all. And he picked it up.

It is every bit as likely that getting into the groove of the season helped him pick up his numbers as it is a move to the #2 spot.

As for uggla, im in the group that wants him not moving from the #2 spot.

Why?

 

I mean, I'm no expert, but I'd say it probably has something to do with him hitting for an .834 OPS this year and his sort of absurd .841 OPS last year in the 2nd spot. It's the place he has the most success.

 

He started slow last season, and was moved to the #2 spot. Then he picked it up.

He started slow this season, and didn't move at all. And he picked it up.

It is every bit as likely that getting into the groove of the season helped him pick up his numbers as it is a move to the #2 spot.

 

But you can't really argue with the results. No real need to move him.

 

And either way, batting order has a negligible effect on overall performance. It really only comes into play at the beginning of games. If lineup protection was as important as people make it out to be, wouldn't it make more sense to spread your good hitters out to protect your bad ones? The fact is, most guys are going to hit exactly the same no matter where they hit, because once the first inning is over, the order doesn't really matter.

Basically the only reason I can see for moving Dan out of the 2 spot is to put Hermida and his ridonkulous on base skills ahead of Hanley and Cabrera. Hanley could drive in 120 a year if Hermida could even get his average up to like .260.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.