Question for everyone

AJxAcex34

Who determines when the game is called off or postponed? is it the umpire?

my 1st question really is, why was the Mets game called yesterday after 5.5 innings and they only waited 90min? I'm guessing if the Mets were losing they would have waited longer. Mets were up only 2-0

2nd question is how come the Marlins waited almost 3hrs of combined rain delays when we played the Nationals earlier in the year. How come it was not called then?

3rd question is how come they could not continue the game today in the afternoon, just like we did against the brewers.

Guest Guest

Home team decides before the game starts, umps decide once it begins.

It was up to the umpires why they waited awhile in the Nats game, you'd have to ask them why they waited

It only continues if tied.

Guest Miggy is Great

To add on....

In the Mets game, Rain was in the forecast for a while, while in the Nats game, the rain was going to stop eventualy.

A game is a game when 5 and 1/2 innings are completed. If it does not reach that point, the game is canceled and replayed from the beggining

The umpires do everything in their power to end the game...often they'll give more leway (in my expirence) to Florida due to the nature of our weather. The umps will let us play a little longer usually and will wait a little longer. It's not about the fans, its about the teams completing the game once it's turned over to the umps.

Head grounds keeper goes over the weather forecast with the umpire crew chief before the game.

If rain is expected to come/go you usually see games have everything conceivable done to not have them go into a delay (like we saw this homestand). If it's meant to just get bad and stay bad, heavy weather brings the tarp.

To add on....

In the Mets game, Rain was in the forecast for a while, while in the Nats game, the rain was going to stop eventualy.

A game is a game when 5 and 1/2 innings are completed. If it does not reach that point, the game is canceled and replayed from the beggining

To be fair its more like 4.5 innings.

As long as the visiting team gets up to bat in 5 innings and the home team in 4 then the game is in the record books.

To add on....

I thought they changed the rules this year. If a game gets postponed due to rain, the players pick up where they left off in that game. For instance, if it was 3-2 Marlins in the 3rd, and Dan Uggla was up to the plate with a 3-1 count when the game was called, it would be picked up from there. Unless I'm confusing this with something else?

To add on....

I thought they changed the rules this year. If a game gets postponed due to rain, the players pick up where they left off in that game. For instance, if it was 3-2 Marlins in the 3rd, and Dan Uggla was up to the plate with a 3-1 count when the game was called, it would be picked up from there. Unless I'm confusing this with something else?

That's for a tie game. In the past, tie games were restarted fresh, under the new rules, they're resumed.

An official game is still an official game. 5 innings (4.5 if the hometeam has the lead) and the runs that decide the game cannot be scored immediately before the delay/postponement. In other words, the other team has to have 3 outs to answer back.

how come the Yankees game yesterday was suspened and will resume on July 26. They were in the top of the 8th and the yankees are up 8-6?

dosent make sense why the yankees and orioles will keep on playing the game and they are in the 8th with a team leading 8-6.

but the Mets cannot continue the game and they were in the bottom of the 6th 2-0