Scola to the Bulls?

Das Texan

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=327621

What will Bulls do with Noc?

Exploring trade options for forward seems to make sense

By Mike McGraw

Bulls first-round draft pick Joakim Noah didn?t make it to Chicago in time for Friday?s introductory news conference. The event was rescheduled for Monday and should also include second-round picks Aaron Gray and JamesOn Curry.

That means Noah and the second-rounders won?t be holding up their Bulls jerseys for the cameras until after the NBA?s free-agent negotiating period begins Sunday.

The Bulls? primary questions in free agency won?t revolve around which players they might sign. It?s a thin group, particularly among big men. The biggest issues are what happens to two of their own free agents, Andres Nocioni and P.J. Brown.

Nocioni is restricted, which means the Bulls can match any offer he receives from another team. The Bulls won?t allow the Argentina native to walk away with nothing in return, but they do face a tough decision this summer.

As popular as Nocioni has been among fans, teammates and coaches, he doesn?t fit in particularly well on the Bulls? roster. If Nocioni returns, he?ll either have to play power forward at 6-feet-7 or back up small forward Luol Deng.

Factor in that Nocioni will be seeking a contract in the neighborhood of $6 million to $7 million per season, and it appears obvious the Bulls will at least explore sign-and-trade opportunities.

?I think it?s really clear that the city, management and the coaching staff love this guy,? said Mike Cound, one of Nocioni?s representatives. ?And he loves them. He likes everything about the Bulls, but he?s a realist.?

That means Nocioni is ready for anything this summer, though he?d have to agree to a new destination. He?s resting at his ranch in Argentina, wearing a walking boot to alleviate a persistent bout of plantar fasciitis in his right foot.

Cound is hoping to resolve Nocioni?s status quickly, but that may not be possible. The Bulls addressed their need for height by drafting Noah and would like to add an interior scorer.

That?s easier said than done.

General manager John Paxson figures to monitor Kevin Garnett?s status this summer. Minnesota seemed intent on trading Garnett before the draft and never succeeded. Memphis forward Pau Gasol is a potential target if the asking price is less than it was in February.

Another player to consider is 6-9 Argentinean power forward Luis Scola, who averaged 17 points and 7.2 rebounds in the Spanish league for Tau Ceramica. San Antonio has held Scola?s rights since 2002, and he has a sizable buyout in his Spanish contract. But so did Nocioni.

Scola, 27, is a potential inside scorer and has been billed by some as the best player not currently in the NBA. Theoretically, the Spurs could sign Scola and send him to the Bulls in a sign-and-trade for Nocioni. Cound represents both players.

Brown is another sign-and-trade candidate, though the Bulls wouldn?t mind having the 37-year-old power forward return for another season. Brown?s agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Brown is out of the country on vacation and would not make any decisions until he returns next week.

The Bulls may pursue Philadelphia free agent Joe Smith as a veteran presence if Brown does not return. The other prominent big men on the market are San Antonio?s Melvin Ely, New Jersey?s Mikki Moore and the Lakers? Chris Mihm, who missed all of last season with an injury.

Cleveland?s Anderson Varejao, Orlando?s Darko Milicic and San Antonio?s Fabricio Oberto are restricted free agents.

Since I know there are some of you Bulls fans here.

thoughts?

From my perspective, this needs to happen.

He's one of those guys that is really annoying to play against. As a Heat fan, I can't stand him....and for other LeBatard fans, he looks like he smells like cigarettes. But I have to admit, I'd love for the Heat to get him.

?????

Was referring to Nocioni, not Scola.

He's one of those guys that is really annoying to play against. As a Heat fan, I can't stand him....and for other LeBatard fans, he looks like he smells like cigarettes. But I have to admit, I'd love for the Heat to get him.

?????

because there are so many reports that Nocioni actually wants to come to Miami right?

?????

because there are so many reports that Nocioni actually wants to come to Miami right?

he just said he would love to see him in a heat uniform.. not that it will happen, or that people have said it will happen

?????

he just said he would love to see him in a heat uniform.. not that it will happen, or that people have said it will happen

Calm down Das, I never meant it to sound like I thought the Heat were even in the running for him, just that he's the kind of player that I would love to have on my team, but hate otherwise. It was meant as a compliment towards Nocioni....well,except for the looking like he smells like cigarettes part.

Bulls should definitely sign and trade Nocioni. His stock might not be higher than it is now.

I don't know anything about Scola so I can't say anything on that front.

I was cold to it before, but if the Grizz are desperate to unload Gasol I'd like to see the Bulls pursue that if the asking price wasn't much more than Nocioni and Gordon. I was cold to it last year but with the emergence of Deng, Thomas being better sooner than I thought, Thabo waiting in the wings, etc. I'd like them to do that.

As a Duke fan first and foremost and a huge Duhon fan, I actually want him to go to another team for his career. I really wanted that rumored Houston deal to go down so he could get more PT.

Plus he did do some dumb stuff earlier in the year like sleeping late and missing practice so I doubt he's a jewel in the eyes of the FO.

As a Duke fan first and foremost and a huge Duhon fan, I actually want him to go to another team for his career. I really wanted that rumored Houston deal to go down so he could get more PT.

Plus he did do some dumb stuff earlier in the year like sleeping late and missing practice so I doubt he's a jewel in the eyes of the FO.

He wouldn't get PT over Head and Alston.

Duhon in an expanded role is definitely better than Rafer Alston.

The fact that he had just 1.5 less assists in 52 less starts and 15 less minutes per game on a team where a lot of the time he played along side Kirk Hinrich says a lot.

Alston is probably top 5 worst starting points in this league.

Duhon in an expanded role is definitely better than Rafer Alston.

The fact that he had just 1.5 less assists in 52 less starts and 15 less minutes per game on a team where a lot of the time he played along side Kirk Hinrich says a lot.

Alston is probably top 5 worst starting points in this league.

Head is better then Alston too, but that doesn't stop Houston from playing Alston. Maybe that will change with a new coach.

Alston is trash.