Wimbledon

Flamarlins3

Always a big fan of this tourney

Serena Williams going up against some woman here. Was down 5-2 in the second set and then made it 5-5 before getting an incredible calf cramp. She was down for about 10-15 minutes screamin in pain. Can barely walk. went down 6-5 before getting it back to 6-6. Williams can barely move right now. Real gutsy performance. She is startin to move around slightly better though.

On the men's side probably heading towards another Nadal/Federer final.

Yeah, it's Gilbert Arena...

Im loving this tournament right now, I thought it was almost comical that Roger Federer basically got a bye week because of Haas's injury... Andy Roddick has been playing really strong Serve and Volley game, which would be good in his matchup with Federer, assuming he gets there. Rafa has been his usual self, but Im curious to see how his game stacks up against the better players in the later rounds. It's pretty clear that the Women's bracket will have better matches than the Men's draw... I can't pick a winner from the Women...

Rafa is in a 4 set tie with Robin Soderling, when play was halted due to rain. I think it resumes tomorrow with Rafa up 2-0 in the 5th set.

Willy Canas and Lleyton Hewitt split 2 sets as well, suspended.

I dont wanna sound like a Nadal hater, but Im interested in him possibly losing here just to see what happens...

Serena Williams is my new hero. That girl has got some balls, winning a straight setter with a cramped leg.

I'm still in awe, one of the greatest performances you'll ever see on a tennis court. Historic.

Absolutely not historic. Both Williams sisters have been doing this for years... I'm sorry you don't have a torn calf with that much pain then serve 123, 20 minutes later. It was ridiculous, not historic.

She also played doubles the next day.

Serena Williams is my new hero. That girl has got some balls, winning a straight setter with a cramped leg.

I'm still in awe, one of the greatest performances you'll ever see on a tennis court. Historic.

Absolutely not historic. Both Williams sisters have been doing this for years... I'm sorry you don't have a torn calf with that much pain then serve 123, 20 minutes later. It was ridiculous, not historic.

Torn calf? It was a cramped calf. She couldn't run down shots at the net, and relied on smashing forehands and backhands. Hantuchova must feel like an ass for not locking up that match. Yeah I'm sure that was ridiculous.

I actually thought Serena was going to come back in the 3rd against Henin for a moment there when it was 5-3.

Seems as if Henin and the other Williams are on a collision course. I'd like to see Henin denied again. She annoys me for some reason plus I'm pro-American in that potential matchup.

Also, is there a hotter match up then Ivanovic v. Vadisova, tomorrow? Jesus.

Torn calf? It was a cramped calf. She couldn't run down shots at the net, and relied on smashing forehands and backhands. Hantuchova must feel like an ass for not locking up that match. Yeah I'm sure that was ridiculous.

Serena and her camp (most recognizably, her Dad) proclaimed that she played with a torn calf for the rest of that match. It wasn't until the next day that she quietly admitted it was just cramping.

Serena doesn't get to the net well, because she hates being up there... did you see her running the baseline? She was getting from court to court as quick as anyone could. I don't doubt the she had cramping; but it was an extreme overreaction, and does not deserve historic mention.

Roddick has looked good so far and could meet Federer in the semis

big could though

Yeah, we should just pop in a tape of the '04 and '05 finals and save them both and the audience the trouble. :mischief

The only thing compelling about the men's side would be the typical Federer/Nadal matchup. I miss the mid to late 90s depth on the male circuit. Today doesn't even come close.

Roddick has looked good so far and could meet Federer in the semis

big could though

Yeah, we should just pop in a tape of the '04 and '05 finals and save them both and the audience the trouble. :mischief

The only thing compelling about the men's side would be the typical Federer/Nadal matchup. I miss the mid to late 90s depth on the male circuit. Today doesn't even come close.

There's a lot of depth... Roger is just that good.

Guys like Roddick, Djokovic, Davydenko, Murray, Blake, Gasquet, Baghdatis, Gonzalez, and even the comeback Ferrero are all as good if not better than the core of Men's players that existed in eras before. Any one of these guys can beat anyone (maybe, almost anyone) in the world on a given day.

I've never seen anyone play so efficiently, as Roger does. He plays his own game which happens to be extremely well rounded and suited for nearly every one out there.

Thats called parity, not good depth.

You telling me that group stacks up to a stable of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Carlos Moya, Patrick Rafter, Marcelo Rios, and Marat Safin? You can even add in the lower tier guys like Alex Corretja, Mark Philippoussis, and Karol Kucera.

Easily top the top men's players of today without any question.

I'm not debating Federer he is on the Sampras/legend level and Nadal is a damn fine player but the rest is mediocre and pretty interchangeable.

Serena and her camp (most recognizably, her Dad) proclaimed that she played with a torn calf for the rest of that match. It wasn't until the next day that she quietly admitted it was just cramping.

Serena doesn't get to the net well, because she hates being up there... did you see her running the baseline? She was getting from court to court as quick as anyone could. I don't doubt the she had cramping; but it was an extreme overreaction, and does not deserve historic mention.

One thing is that she doesn't get to the net well, another is that she hobbled up and around the court, not moving more than 2-3 feet. She served 120 mph from her feet. I have to give it to her, I've never seen someone not be able to run a court, but win a tiebreak set, and then an entire other set. By all means, she should have "easily" lost that match.

Thats called parity, not good depth.

You telling me that group stacks up to a stable of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Carlos Moya, Patrick Rafter, Marcelo Rios, and Marat Safin? You can even add in the lower tier guys like Alex Corretja, Mark Philippoussis, and Karol Kucera.

Easily top the top men's players of today without any question.

I'm not debating Federer he is on the Sampras/legend level and Nadal is a damn fine player but the rest is mediocre and pretty interchangeable.

Tennis was a lot more popular in that era. Those guys got a lot more play, than today's players get.

These players are super solid, people have no idea how good guys like Roddick, Djokovic, Davydenko, and Murray really are. I think these guys move up and down the rankings so much, because of their level of play, not because have mediocre ability that doesn't keep them consistent.

Everyone is constantly getting better, and sometimes you're ready for it, and sometimes you're not. It's a massive testament to Roger that he can stay on top of all of this improvement.

One thing is that she doesn't get to the net well, another is that she hobbled up and around the court, not moving more than 2-3 feet. She served 120 mph from her feet. I have to give it to her, I've never seen someone not be able to run a court, but win a tiebreak set, and then an entire other set. By all means, she should have "easily" lost that match.

She lost the tiebreak set.

And trust me, she wasn't just serving from her feet. Serena tops out around 125 in a full serve, there's no way she can serve 123 with her arms. I've played semi-professional tennis (futures tour) and you don't serve that hard without extreme use of your legs.

I know she was cramped. I don't doubt that. She did well to get out of that match, and I commend her for it. But she most definitely overreacted and that match is not even close to deserving a "historic," title.

She lost the tiebreak set.

And trust me, she wasn't just serving from her feet. Serena tops out around 125 in a full serve, there's no way she can serve 123 with her arms. I've played semi-professional tennis (futures tour) and you don't serve that hard without extreme use of your legs.

I know she was cramped. I don't doubt that. She did well to get out of that match, and I commend her for it. But she most definitely overreacted and that match is not even close to deserving a "historic," title.

Tennis fans will remember "that time Serena won on one leg". Thats what I meant by historic. It'll be on her highlight reel for the rest of her life.

I agree that it will be on her highlight reel for the rest of her life. So in that way, I could conceed that the match could be considered historic, or at least a 'moment.' I just don't think it's justified on her part.

Yeah, Nadal did have an excellent comeback... Youzhny is ridiculously talented, and really should have closed that out, but Nadal battled well, no doubt.. That stuff won't work for him as he moves on, especially against Berdych (this kid is seriously on the rise, I'm so excited for that match).

I wish the rain would stop so I could watch Ferrero give Federer a run for his money. Juan Carlos has been playing incredibly tight tennis, and has been putting himself in wonderful position to really extend and attack. But this Hewitt / Djokovic match was an awesome one, so I can watch that again I suppose.