Miami city manager moves for demolition of Orange Bowl

Miami city officials have recommended that the Orange Bowl be demolished and its salvageable parts -- even the urinals -- sold off as memorabilia.

The plan to level the 70-year-old football stadium, the site of five Super Bowls, memorable college football games and former home of the Miami Dolphins, was not unexpected. The stadium has fallen into disrepair and lost its last major tenant when the University of Miami decided to move its home football games to Dolphin Stadium.

Its final event will be a high-school football all-star game, on Jan. 4, 2008. The Hurricanes will play their final home game at the OB on Saturday against Virginia; its final college game is Dec. 1, when Florida International will host North Texas.

The city has targeted the Orange Bowl site as land for a retractable-roof ballpark for the Florida Marlins, prompting the demolition, Hernandez said. But he also said he's not waiting for the Marlins to sign off on the plan before setting the wrecking ball in motion.

''I can't afford to wait until I have a deal completed on baseball,'' Hernandez said, according to the Miami Herald. "Once we go past our final event on Jan. 4, we need to get it ready hopefully for baseball or something else."

The city is soliciting offers for the demolition and sale of memorabilia, Gilbert Cabrera, Hernandez' chief of staff, told the Herald. Memorabilia from the OB -- including the urinals -- is expected to go on sale early in 2008 and help defray the cost of demolition, estimated between $5 million and $7 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3101733

They're not waiting for reasons totally unrelated to the Marlins. Leaving it empty and erect requires around the clock security and a huge liability issue.

I know what is motivating the City to demolish the OB quickly, but I'm not at liberty to discuss it here.

Then why post that here if you aren't going to elaborate?!!?? Come on, give us something...good or bad for the Marlins?

They're not waiting for reasons totally unrelated to the Marlins. Leaving it empty and erect requires around the clock security and a huge liability issue.

I know what is motivating the City to demolish the OB quickly, but I'm not at liberty to discuss it here.

Here's a guess. The OB needs to come down no matter what happens with the Marlins new ballpark deal. It would not be smart just to leave it sitting there, unused, while it is costing the city. There are better uses for that land.

However, I think everyone involved is very optimistic that there will be an agreement to built the baseball stadium and that there is no time to be wasted if they want to play in it by 2011. Therefore the City can get a jump start buy announcing and planning the demolition NOW rather than waiting until the final "i" is dotted in the deal, which may be in December or January. In this way the demolition can start Saturday, January 5th, right after the high school all-star game.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty weak ...if you make a statement like that you could at least say positive or negative towards the Marlins without giving away specifics

Pretty weak ...if you make a statement like that you could at least say positive or negative towards the Marlins without giving away specifics

Agreed. Some people have a very high sense of self-importance and need an ego-feed to reinforce this. It's the "nah nah nah i know more than you do" elementary school playground mentality.

Agreed. Some people have a very high sense of self-importance and need an ego-feed to reinforce this. It's the "nah nah nah i know more than you do" elementary school playground mentality.

I don't need to stroke my ego in any way, that is just a matter of what I do for a living and the people that I know who are involved in my profession and what we do. Excuse me if I wanted to give just a little information as to the fact that I know what is going on behind the scenes, but that not all of it is "available" for the public. Most of you here are way off on what is going on, but I cannot set you right without betraying the trust of those who tell me the "scoop."

There is a legitimate legal reason as to why I cannot divulge why there are ramped up plans to expedite demolition. Some of the other folks here (who I trust) know what the reason is because I've discussed it with them. The reason for the expiditing of demolition has NOTHING to do with the Marlins directly. The reason was given to me by someone who is VERY CLOSE to the situation (again, some of the other folks here who I have talked to know how close this person is!) and this person told me that I couldn't divulge why publicly for threat of putting a monkey wrench in all the planning for a Marlins stadium. That's it, so take it for what it's worth!

I don't need to stroke my ego in any way, that is just a matter of what I do for a living and the people that I know who are involved in my profession and what we do. Excuse me if I wanted to give just a little information as to the fact that I know what is going on behind the scenes, but that not all of it is "available" for the public. Most of you here are way off on what is going on, but I cannot set you right without betraying the trust of those who tell me the "scoop."

There is a legitimate legal reason as to why I cannot divulge why there are ramped up plans to expedite demolition. Some of the other folks here (who I trust) know what the reason is because I've discussed it with them. The reason for the expiditing of demolition has NOTHING to do with the Marlins directly. The reason was given to me by someone who is VERY CLOSE to the situation (again, some of the other folks here who I have talked to know how close this person is!) and this person told me that I couldn't divulge why publicly for threat of putting a monkey wrench in all the planning for a Marlins stadium. That's it, so take it for what it's worth!

Fair enough. But I think most people here don't really care what the details are. I wouldn't want you to put yourself or anyone else in any jeopardy. All we want to know is if things are moving ahead in a way that will finally lead to a positive resolution for the Marlins in the near future. But we can do without the posts of "I know something that I can't say". All that does is create more speculation.