Internet question

flasportsfan88

You need a router.

You are correct, sir.

But get a Linksys router. One with a built-in firewall. It'll kill virtually any chance you might have of getting hacked.

I already have a router, instead of paying for the antenna for my desktop, i want to get a direct cable connection.

What you have is a cable modem. A router splits the internet connection so you can share it with multiple computers, and typically even wireless routers have at least four cable connections you can plug directly into computers without an antenna. It's called Ethernet.

I have the Comcast cable internet connection. I have another computer i want to connect the internet to. Do i just go by another modem, or do i contact Comcast and they would give me the modem i need? Also would i get a splitter to hook both my television and my internet .

This is as easy as it gets; buy this:

Linksys WRT54G WIRELESS-G Broadband Router

The cable that comes out of the comcast modem and is currently plugged into your computer gets unplugged from your computer and plugged in to the port on the back of the router that says "INTERNET." Then you take a cable and plug it in to port 1 and the other end gets plugged in to your computer. You can do the same thing with three more computers [port 2 to computer 2, port 3 to computer 3, etc]. Since this is also a wireless router, your friends with wireless laptops can use it without plugging in to anything.

Good stuff.

^

That is inaccurate. You still only have 1 IP to the outside (ie. to Comcast), the other IP's are internal.

Look again. The modem is the only device on the 100 subnet [it could be totally different like 216.109.112.135 - doesn't matter]. Everything from the router back is on subnet 0 [a different network]. The rest of the IP's are just bogus representations of real IP's. Since the router is likely to be set up with DHCP anyway? He won't have to worry about that. The router will feed him his IP's just like Comcast feeds the IP to his modem.

So, is the 9.90 extra per month that I've been paying Comcast for "3-5 Additional IP's" a valid charge? I have the router with 3 lines running to 3 different computers

Technically it's valid, but from the sounds of it you really don't need 3 Public IP addresses. I would cancel that and tell them "you only have one computer now". Then use the router like you normally would.

^

That is inaccurate. You still only have 1 IP to the outside (ie. to Comcast), the other IP's are internal.

Look again. The modem is the only device on the 100 subnet [it could be totally different like 216.109.112.135 - doesn't matter]. Everything from the router back is on subnet 0 [a different network]. The rest of the IP's are just bogus representations of real IP's. Since the router is likely to be set up with DHCP anyway? He won't have to worry about that. The router will feed him his IP's just like Comcast feeds the IP to his modem.

Was this directed at my statement? I was basically saying the same thing, just without the jargon. Also, the diagrams just popped up when I googled "home internet diagram", so I realize a more accurate representation of the clients would've been to specify that they were getting their addresses through DHCP. Though maybe I need to start speaking in more technical terms if I plan on passing the CCNA :D

So, is the 9.90 extra per month that I've been paying Comcast for "3-5 Additional IP's" a valid charge? I have the router with 3 lines running to 3 different computers

Yeah, you don't need that. All they see is traffic from one MAC address - your router. You typically only need additional IP's if you are paying for static IP's and have your own servers at home. Since you are probably doing neither, the router is all you need.

Though maybe I need to start speaking in more technical terms if I plan on passing the CCNA :D

Good idea! :thumbup

I seem to recall a conversation with Comcast a few years ago when I called with a problem of having 1 computer working, the other not able to get an Internet question. They asked what the set-up was and when I told them I had a router they immediately slapped on that extra charge. I believe they also said something about how they need to know so that all the computers can connect properly. I'm getting the idea from the responses that this line about computers working properly was bulls&*t. Am I right.

I seem to recall a conversation with Comcast a few years ago when I called with a problem of having 1 computer working, the other not able to get an Internet question. They asked what the set-up was and when I told them I had a router they immediately slapped on that extra charge. I believe they also said something about how they need to know so that all the computers can connect properly. I'm getting the idea from the responses that this line about computers working properly was bulls&*t. Am I right.

You're right. I'm not sure they can even legally charge you for that, but I make it a habit of never telling Bellsouth that I am behind a router.

I'm getting the idea from the responses that this line about computers working properly was bulls&*t. Am I right.

Total BS. That, or the tech support guy didn't understand you.

You could have 100 computers behind your router and it wouldn't matter - your throughput is limited by your modem so at the very worst you can only use the maximum up/download bandwidth you are already paying for anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.