Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Population drops in 26 of 31 Broward municipalities

Featured Replies

I have lived in south florida , I enjoyed my time their but it is extremely expensive to live in South Florida . From housing , to property taxes , to homeowners insurance it is too much for the average person . It doesnt help that most employers in Florida , in particular south Florida refuse to pay a decent salary.

The other side is that overall they still have a double digit growth this decade. In the end they will look in 2010 and see how it did, so 2 bad years may not really hurt the area. I do understand the struggle for many though.

No wonder the roads seem less crowded.

 

Maybe it's just me, but wasn't those cities mentioned one of the worst perpetrators of the housing debaucle? I know that as soon as prices started to climb, everyone & his uncle's cousin was heading out to Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs & the like to purchase their homes.

 

Now, they can't afford it and are just leaving. I'm not saying that these people are soley to blame but there's quite a few developments in my surrounding area that were started and now, the land stands idle. Nothing more is being built. On the corner of Douglas & Stirling, there's the huge development that has a few homes built, the rest of the land is cleared, but not one whiff of construction is being done.

No wonder the roads seem less crowded.

 

Maybe it's just me, but wasn't those cities mentioned one of the worst perpetrators of the housing debaucle? I know that as soon as prices started to climb, everyone & his uncle's cousin was heading out to Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs & the like to purchase their homes.

 

Now, they can't afford it and are just leaving. I'm not saying that these people are soley to blame but there's quite a few developments in my surrounding area that were started and now, the land stands idle. Nothing more is being built. On the corner of Douglas & Stirling, there's the huge development that has a few homes built, the rest of the land is cleared, but not one whiff of construction is being done.

I always wondered how all these people were able to afford all the half million dollar homes being built in Coral Springs. Turns out a lot of them really couldn't.

We got into our home 4 years ago, just before it really exploded. I think we paid a fair price for our home. We live on a lake, in a gated community. It's a 4 bedroom, 2 bath. And we got a fixed mortgage.

 

After all the hullabaloo, our home is still worth more than we paid for it.

I moved here from the northeast because of the low cost of living, less hustle bustle and the weather....after 12 yrs now its one out of 3.....

 

at least I have the weather, if i wanted to sit in traffic I would have stayed up north and damn if it doesn;t cost alot to live here....with comparison to wages our cost of living is higher than NYC,,,,

I moved here from the northeast because of the low cost of living, less hustle bustle and the weather....after 12 yrs now its one out of 3.....

 

at least I have the weather, if i wanted to sit in traffic I would have stayed up north and damn if it doesn;t cost alot to live here....with comparison to wages our cost of living is higher than NYC,,,,

Central and North Florida have a lower cost of living, moving into the large metro doesn't ease the pressure. The NE is different because its so full, nd thats how South Florida is becoming.

 

 

I do not know exact details, but is it much cheaper to live north/central?

I have lived here all my life.

I don't like the cold weather.

 

But, here's something else to think about. For someone like me, who works their way through a salary schedule with steps, even if I wanted to go somewhere else, I'd start at the bottom of whatever salary schedule there is. My Florida retirement does not follow me. I'd have to start all over again.

 

 

To give an example, quite a number of years ago, we considered moving from Hollywood, Fla to Tampa, Fla. Not a big jump- the homes there (at the time) could be had for a song. I checked into the teacher's salaries. This was approximately 1993-1994. I would have lost $8,000 EACH year, and more as the ensuing years went by. They would have started me on Step 1. Sure- my retirement would have remained intact, but can you afford to take an $8,000 drop in your salary??

 

For someone younger and unmarried, and especially without children, moving around is a lot easier. The more you mix in, the harder the choices become.

I have lived here all my life.

I don't like the cold weather.

 

But, here's something else to think about. For someone like me, who works their way through a salary schedule with steps, even if I wanted to go somewhere else, I'd start at the bottom of whatever salary schedule there is. My Florida retirement does not follow me. I'd have to start all over again.

 

 

To give an example, quite a number of years ago, we considered moving from Hollywood, Fla to Tampa, Fla. Not a big jump- the homes there (at the time) could be had for a song. I checked into the teacher's salaries. This was approximately 1993-1994. I would have lost $8,000 EACH year, and more as the ensuing years went by. They would have started me on Step 1. Sure- my retirement would have remained intact, but can you afford to take an $8,000 drop in your salary??

 

For someone younger and unmarried, and especially without children, moving around is a lot easier. The more you mix in, the harder the choices become.

That is a really interesting perspective. I never thought about it in that way. I guess a lot of the problems is moving though. People make the move because the area is booming then it busts and you can't live anymore. Someone in the community might take a lot of these problems more practically and not irrationally.

I moved here from the northeast because of the low cost of living, less hustle bustle and the weather....after 12 yrs now its one out of 3.....

 

at least I have the weather, if i wanted to sit in traffic I would have stayed up north and damn if it doesn;t cost alot to live here....with comparison to wages our cost of living is higher than NYC,,,,

Central and North Florida have a lower cost of living, moving into the large metro doesn't ease the pressure. The NE is different because its so full, nd thats how South Florida is becoming.

 

 

I do not know exact details, but is it much cheaper to live north/central?

 

Yes, you can get more for less up here when it comes to housing prices. Even with the housing bubble bursting, y'all still have a factor that is causing problems. There are too many people that can sell a home in the NE and purchase an over-valued home in S. Florida for a lot less than in the NE. A large population of retirees also hurts your salaries as well. Many retirees down there are willing to work limited hours at a job, not require benefits, and not care if they are underpaid for their skills. They just see the few hours a week as spending money for gas and the slot machines. It hurts the true work force that needs a full time job with full medical benefits for their family. I love South Florida; I am actually a native to PBC. I would move down there if the opportunity arose, but in the current market conditions my standard of living would decline. Jacksonville just works better for someone in the financial services industry.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.