Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Atlanta Hawks

Featured Replies

the hawks lose a decent player in Childress to go play in Europe for Greece.

 

I am pretty surprised by this.

 

Former Atlanta Hawks swingman Josh Childress is leaving the NBA for Europe.

 

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on its Web site that Childress has signed a three-year contract with Olympiakos of Greece.

I find it fascinating and I wonder if this trend will continue. Maybe this belongs in the bullpen, but with the weak dollar foreign countries have been buying up American assets for awhile, and now we are seeing another important asset - our athletes - head to other countries where they can now afford to pay them large contracts in US dollars.

 

Right now obviously it is only mid level players, but I'll be interested to see how this develops.

I find it fascinating and I wonder if this trend will continue. Maybe this belongs in the bullpen, but with the weak dollar foreign countries have been buying up American assets for awhile, and now we are seeing another important asset - our athletes - head to other countries where they can now afford to pay them large contracts in US dollars.

 

Right now obviously it is only mid level players, but I'll be interested to see how this develops.

 

If this starts happening in baseball with legit free agents who get tons of interest (Like Pudge before) I can see a true world series happening before 2020.

When all else fails follow the money!! That is what alot of the NBA players are doing.. (those who arent big time stars and are just decent players)

When all else fails follow the money!! That is what alot of the NBA players are doing.. (those who arent big time stars and are just decent players)

 

 

But if they can offer/start offering offer the big time starts bigger money, I could see them bolting too. It's why I find it so fascinating - the weak dollar could change the sporting scene as we know it.

good point, i also thought the same as you GODFATHER......

 

1st the Nachbar move and then this.....and im not even a fan of hockey but i do remember russia offering a sh*t load to malkin..... he turned it down.. then i think they went after jagar....

 

so i dunno.....but yes this is something we should all just keep our eyes on.....

 

but lets not get carried away..... its not as if D.Wade is going to play for Italy....

  • Author

I think the reason it won't officially change is because of culture, it is too ahrd to adjust. Plus Basketball is an international sport, it is much like Soccer. You will not see baseball players going to France or Football players going to Germany. BUT! this could be a big change for Basketball. As Latin America grows stronger and now Europe it could change the landscape.

  • Author

ATHENS, Greece -- Josh Childress signed a reported three-year deal with the Greek club Olympiakos after leaving the Atlanta Hawks.

 

Childress was a restricted free agent, which meant the Hawks had the right to match offers from other NBA teams, but not from international clubs. Agent Lon Babby said the deal was worth about $20 million after taxes and was far more lucrative than what Childress could have received in the United States.

 

The money is guaranteed, and Childress can opt out of the contract after each year.

 

"It's obviously a bit different, being the first player to do something like this," Childress said on a conference call. "But I think it's a great opportunity, and it's going to be a great experience for me."

 

"I was in a situation that I really didn't know what my answer would be when I got to Athens," he said. "But it's a great city and a great team, and they did everything to make me feel at home."

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I find it fascinating and I wonder if this trend will continue. Maybe this belongs in the bullpen, but with the weak dollar foreign countries have been buying up American assets for awhile, and now we are seeing another important asset - our athletes - head to other countries where they can now afford to pay them large contracts in US dollars.

 

Right now obviously it is only mid level players, but I'll be interested to see how this develops.

The trend could continue.... LeBron in Greece? Well the Olympiads or something like that are looking at paying him a load of money to come to greece and place. They have no salary cap and the owners want to spend.... :whistle

I find it fascinating and I wonder if this trend will continue. Maybe this belongs in the bullpen, but with the weak dollar foreign countries have been buying up American assets for awhile, and now we are seeing another important asset - our athletes - head to other countries where they can now afford to pay them large contracts in US dollars.

 

Right now obviously it is only mid level players, but I'll be interested to see how this develops.

The trend could continue.... LeBron in Greece? Well the Olympiads or something like that are looking at paying him a load of money to come to greece and place. They have no salary cap and the owners want to spend.... :whistle

 

 

I think the NBA really needs to get rid of their salary cap. If they did, the Heat would always be at the top. :mischief

  • Author

I find it fascinating and I wonder if this trend will continue. Maybe this belongs in the bullpen, but with the weak dollar foreign countries have been buying up American assets for awhile, and now we are seeing another important asset - our athletes - head to other countries where they can now afford to pay them large contracts in US dollars.

 

Right now obviously it is only mid level players, but I'll be interested to see how this develops.

The trend could continue.... LeBron in Greece? Well the Olympiads or something like that are looking at paying him a load of money to come to greece and place. They have no salary cap and the owners want to spend.... :whistle

 

 

I think the NBA really needs to get rid of their salary cap. If they did, the Heat would always be at the top. :mischief

I am not a fan of the salary cap, but it is the reason why the NFL and NBA are so successful and why so many franchises have good fan bases. Baseball is a unique sport and idk if I would like a salary cap, but I think the NFL, NBA and now the NHL are on the right path.

I find it fascinating and I wonder if this trend will continue. Maybe this belongs in the bullpen, but with the weak dollar foreign countries have been buying up American assets for awhile, and now we are seeing another important asset - our athletes - head to other countries where they can now afford to pay them large contracts in US dollars.

 

Right now obviously it is only mid level players, but I'll be interested to see how this develops.

The trend could continue.... LeBron in Greece? Well the Olympiads or something like that are looking at paying him a load of money to come to greece and place. They have no salary cap and the owners want to spend.... :whistle

 

 

I think the NBA really needs to get rid of their salary cap. If they did, the Heat would always be at the top. :mischief

I am not a fan of the salary cap, but it is the reason why the NFL and NBA are so successful and why so many franchises have good fan bases. Baseball is a unique sport and idk if I would like a salary cap, but I think the NFL, NBA and now the NHL are on the right path.

 

 

Baseball is a funny game, and there is a lot of luck involved. That is how a team with a payroll 1/10 of another team's can be just as good. If the Lakers had a $200 million payroll, and their starting line-up was:

 

PG- Chris Paul

SG- Dwayne Wade

SF- LeBron James

PF- Tim Duncan

C- Dwight Howard

 

Do you think they would lose any games? Of course not...A salary cap would be nice for the MLB, but they dont need it...unlike other sports.

MLB is able to get away without a cap because 1) the arbitration/club control system in place, allowing a team to control a player cheaply for 6 years and 2) the fact that baseball is a lot less dependant on one player than the NBA is.

  • Author

I also think the ammount of games allow for it to happen. If baseball only played a shorter schedule you would see even less parity. I wish each of the other three just raised the cap a little bit. And that the NBA restructured how its cap works.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.