Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Hole Of the Game 7/23

Featured Replies

  • Author

Ok so not good but not bad either, in the middle if you will.

 

I still think our bats need to step up Rab, and yes I am not pressing the panic button but I am getting somewhat worried.

 

I didn't like coming home and seeing a 9-4 score in favor of the Braves.

I didn't enjoy it either.

 

But what I am saying is that I have no reason to believe that pitching is our strength. Sure, our bats have been cold for about 6 games, but they showed that they were better than that in the other 95 games.

 

The pitching, on the other hand, was about as bad as it could be for 95 games and has been OK at best in the last 6 games.

 

True to an effect but I still don't think our SP was as awful as you make it sound in the first 95 games. We were blown out how many games, I'm gona throw out maybe 5,6,7 times? I may be off.

 

Alot of our wins were close one run ball games we rarely had a blow out in our favor. (although we did have some)

 

None of that justifies the pitching, but the fact that we have different opinions on how we see things. I choose to go more on what I see by watching the games and using light stats but I try not to focus on stats too much and in-depth. In your case you look at all stats and situations (which isn't bad or wrong) for example, a runner on 2nd with a 0-1 count to Lo Duca (sound familiar :p ) how many doubles does he have in this situation? Or when a pitcher throws a wild pitch with an opponent on base what are the odds that the runner scores in the inning.

 

etc.

The pitching was awful in the first 95 games. In those 95 games, we only had 38 quality starts. That's a terrible 40%. 13 of those are Nolasco and Olsen. Not counting them two, there are 15 quality starts in 57 games. A pathetic 26%.

 

Incase you didn't know, a quality start is 6+ Innings Pitched and less than 3 Earned Runs.

 

Rab wtf!?

 

(No sarcasm here) Did or are you majoring in statistics or do you just really like them!?

 

That's a hell of alot of numbers. :blink:

 

Which is just another reason why I take stats lightly otherwise I overheat. :p

 

 

 

yea stats suck sometime specialy the ones u dont understand and just play around like i know what wghsq is man thats like basic baseball then ur thinking wtf is this

 

What stat confuses you? Maybe we can help. :mischief

 

 

yes i have a confession

rab erick gofish i do not kno what WHIP is i scrach my head like a monkey but its like i just started llearning stats last year cuz i had to do a score book as a pitcher

Ok so not good but not bad either, in the middle if you will.

 

I still think our bats need to step up Rab, and yes I am not pressing the panic button but I am getting somewhat worried.

 

I didn't like coming home and seeing a 9-4 score in favor of the Braves.

I didn't enjoy it either.

 

But what I am saying is that I have no reason to believe that pitching is our strength. Sure, our bats have been cold for about 6 games, but they showed that they were better than that in the other 95 games.

 

The pitching, on the other hand, was about as bad as it could be for 95 games and has been OK at best in the last 6 games.

 

True to an effect but I still don't think our SP was as awful as you make it sound in the first 95 games. We were blown out how many games, I'm gona throw out maybe 5,6,7 times? I may be off.

 

Alot of our wins were close one run ball games we rarely had a blow out in our favor. (although we did have some)

 

None of that justifies the pitching, but the fact that we have different opinions on how we see things. I choose to go more on what I see by watching the games and using light stats but I try not to focus on stats too much and in-depth. In your case you look at all stats and situations (which isn't bad or wrong) for example, a runner on 2nd with a 0-1 count to Lo Duca (sound familiar :p ) how many doubles does he have in this situation? Or when a pitcher throws a wild pitch with an opponent on base what are the odds that the runner scores in the inning.

 

etc.

The pitching was awful in the first 95 games. In those 95 games, we only had 38 quality starts. That's a terrible 40%. 13 of those are Nolasco and Olsen. Not counting them two, there are 15 quality starts in 57 games. A pathetic 26%.

 

Incase you didn't know, a quality start is 6+ Innings Pitched and less than 3 Earned Runs.

 

Rab wtf!?

 

(No sarcasm here) Did or are you majoring in statistics or do you just really like them!?

 

That's a hell of alot of numbers. :blink:

 

Which is just another reason why I take stats lightly otherwise I overheat. :p

 

 

 

yea stats suck sometime specialy the ones u dont understand and just play around like i know what wghsq is man thats like basic baseball then ur thinking wtf is this

 

What stat confuses you? Maybe we can help. :mischief

 

 

yes i have a confession

rab erick gofish i do not kno what WHIP is i scrach my head like a monkey but its like i just started llearning stats last year cuz i had to do a score book as a pitcher

 

walks plus hits divided by innings pitched generally designated for a late bullpen man or closer.

Ok so not good but not bad either, in the middle if you will.

 

I still think our bats need to step up Rab, and yes I am not pressing the panic button but I am getting somewhat worried.

 

I didn't like coming home and seeing a 9-4 score in favor of the Braves.

I didn't enjoy it either.

 

But what I am saying is that I have no reason to believe that pitching is our strength. Sure, our bats have been cold for about 6 games, but they showed that they were better than that in the other 95 games.

 

The pitching, on the other hand, was about as bad as it could be for 95 games and has been OK at best in the last 6 games.

 

True to an effect but I still don't think our SP was as awful as you make it sound in the first 95 games. We were blown out how many games, I'm gona throw out maybe 5,6,7 times? I may be off.

 

Alot of our wins were close one run ball games we rarely had a blow out in our favor. (although we did have some)

 

None of that justifies the pitching, but the fact that we have different opinions on how we see things. I choose to go more on what I see by watching the games and using light stats but I try not to focus on stats too much and in-depth. In your case you look at all stats and situations (which isn't bad or wrong) for example, a runner on 2nd with a 0-1 count to Lo Duca (sound familiar :p ) how many doubles does he have in this situation? Or when a pitcher throws a wild pitch with an opponent on base what are the odds that the runner scores in the inning.

 

etc.

The pitching was awful in the first 95 games. In those 95 games, we only had 38 quality starts. That's a terrible 40%. 13 of those are Nolasco and Olsen. Not counting them two, there are 15 quality starts in 57 games. A pathetic 26%.

 

Incase you didn't know, a quality start is 6+ Innings Pitched and less than 3 Earned Runs.

 

Rab wtf!?

 

(No sarcasm here) Did or are you majoring in statistics or do you just really like them!?

 

That's a hell of alot of numbers. :blink:

 

Which is just another reason why I take stats lightly otherwise I overheat. :p

 

 

 

yea stats suck sometime specialy the ones u dont understand and just play around like i know what wghsq is man thats like basic baseball then ur thinking wtf is this

 

What stat confuses you? Maybe we can help. :mischief

 

 

yes i have a confession

rab erick gofish i do not kno what WHIP is i scrach my head like a monkey but its like i just started llearning stats last year cuz i had to do a score book as a pitcher

Walks +Hits per Inning. It is a good way to see how many guys a pitcher puts on base per inning.

 

And GoFish, I just really like them. They help me intricately understand what is going on in a game.

Ok so not good but not bad either, in the middle if you will.

 

I still think our bats need to step up Rab, and yes I am not pressing the panic button but I am getting somewhat worried.

 

I didn't like coming home and seeing a 9-4 score in favor of the Braves.

I didn't enjoy it either.

 

But what I am saying is that I have no reason to believe that pitching is our strength. Sure, our bats have been cold for about 6 games, but they showed that they were better than that in the other 95 games.

 

The pitching, on the other hand, was about as bad as it could be for 95 games and has been OK at best in the last 6 games.

 

True to an effect but I still don't think our SP was as awful as you make it sound in the first 95 games. We were blown out how many games, I'm gona throw out maybe 5,6,7 times? I may be off.

 

Alot of our wins were close one run ball games we rarely had a blow out in our favor. (although we did have some)

 

None of that justifies the pitching, but the fact that we have different opinions on how we see things. I choose to go more on what I see by watching the games and using light stats but I try not to focus on stats too much and in-depth. In your case you look at all stats and situations (which isn't bad or wrong) for example, a runner on 2nd with a 0-1 count to Lo Duca (sound familiar :p ) how many doubles does he have in this situation? Or when a pitcher throws a wild pitch with an opponent on base what are the odds that the runner scores in the inning.

 

etc.

The pitching was awful in the first 95 games. In those 95 games, we only had 38 quality starts. That's a terrible 40%. 13 of those are Nolasco and Olsen. Not counting them two, there are 15 quality starts in 57 games. A pathetic 26%.

 

Incase you didn't know, a quality start is 6+ Innings Pitched and less than 3 Earned Runs.

 

Rab wtf!?

 

(No sarcasm here) Did or are you majoring in statistics or do you just really like them!?

 

That's a hell of alot of numbers. :blink:

 

Which is just another reason why I take stats lightly otherwise I overheat. :p

 

 

 

yea stats suck sometime specialy the ones u dont understand and just play around like i know what wghsq is man thats like basic baseball then ur thinking wtf is this

 

What stat confuses you? Maybe we can help. :mischief

 

 

yes i have a confession

rab erick gofish i do not kno what WHIP is i scrach my head like a monkey but its like i just started llearning stats last year cuz i had to do a score book as a pitcher

 

WHIP

W = Walks

H = Hits

IP = Innings Pitched

 

It's the amount of walks and hits a pitcher allows per inning.

  • Author

Ok so not good but not bad either, in the middle if you will.

 

I still think our bats need to step up Rab, and yes I am not pressing the panic button but I am getting somewhat worried.

 

I didn't like coming home and seeing a 9-4 score in favor of the Braves.

I didn't enjoy it either.

 

But what I am saying is that I have no reason to believe that pitching is our strength. Sure, our bats have been cold for about 6 games, but they showed that they were better than that in the other 95 games.

 

The pitching, on the other hand, was about as bad as it could be for 95 games and has been OK at best in the last 6 games.

 

True to an effect but I still don't think our SP was as awful as you make it sound in the first 95 games. We were blown out how many games, I'm gona throw out maybe 5,6,7 times? I may be off.

 

Alot of our wins were close one run ball games we rarely had a blow out in our favor. (although we did have some)

 

None of that justifies the pitching, but the fact that we have different opinions on how we see things. I choose to go more on what I see by watching the games and using light stats but I try not to focus on stats too much and in-depth. In your case you look at all stats and situations (which isn't bad or wrong) for example, a runner on 2nd with a 0-1 count to Lo Duca (sound familiar :p ) how many doubles does he have in this situation? Or when a pitcher throws a wild pitch with an opponent on base what are the odds that the runner scores in the inning.

 

etc.

The pitching was awful in the first 95 games. In those 95 games, we only had 38 quality starts. That's a terrible 40%. 13 of those are Nolasco and Olsen. Not counting them two, there are 15 quality starts in 57 games. A pathetic 26%.

 

Incase you didn't know, a quality start is 6+ Innings Pitched and less than 3 Earned Runs.

 

Rab wtf!?

 

(No sarcasm here) Did or are you majoring in statistics or do you just really like them!?

 

That's a hell of alot of numbers. :blink:

 

Which is just another reason why I take stats lightly otherwise I overheat. :p

 

 

 

yea stats suck sometime specialy the ones u dont understand and just play around like i know what wghsq is man thats like basic baseball then ur thinking wtf is this

 

What stat confuses you? Maybe we can help. :mischief

 

 

yes i have a confession

rab erick gofish i do not kno what WHIP is i scrach my head like a monkey but its like i just started llearning stats last year cuz i had to do a score book as a pitcher

 

walks plus hits divided by innings pitched generally designated for a late bullpen man or closer.

 

 

 

o so my whip would be low ass hell i have only walked 2 people this season and given up 7 hits in 14 innings

walks plus hits divided by innings pitched generally designated for a late bullpen man or closer.

No, it's used for everyone. But it depends on what position someone holds for what it should be. A starter is probably going to have a larger one than a closer.

Ok so not good but not bad either, in the middle if you will.

 

I still think our bats need to step up Rab, and yes I am not pressing the panic button but I am getting somewhat worried.

 

I didn't like coming home and seeing a 9-4 score in favor of the Braves.

I didn't enjoy it either.

 

But what I am saying is that I have no reason to believe that pitching is our strength. Sure, our bats have been cold for about 6 games, but they showed that they were better than that in the other 95 games.

 

The pitching, on the other hand, was about as bad as it could be for 95 games and has been OK at best in the last 6 games.

 

True to an effect but I still don't think our SP was as awful as you make it sound in the first 95 games. We were blown out how many games, I'm gona throw out maybe 5,6,7 times? I may be off.

 

Alot of our wins were close one run ball games we rarely had a blow out in our favor. (although we did have some)

 

None of that justifies the pitching, but the fact that we have different opinions on how we see things. I choose to go more on what I see by watching the games and using light stats but I try not to focus on stats too much and in-depth. In your case you look at all stats and situations (which isn't bad or wrong) for example, a runner on 2nd with a 0-1 count to Lo Duca (sound familiar :p ) how many doubles does he have in this situation? Or when a pitcher throws a wild pitch with an opponent on base what are the odds that the runner scores in the inning.

 

etc.

The pitching was awful in the first 95 games. In those 95 games, we only had 38 quality starts. That's a terrible 40%. 13 of those are Nolasco and Olsen. Not counting them two, there are 15 quality starts in 57 games. A pathetic 26%.

 

Incase you didn't know, a quality start is 6+ Innings Pitched and less than 3 Earned Runs.

 

Rab wtf!?

 

(No sarcasm here) Did or are you majoring in statistics or do you just really like them!?

 

That's a hell of alot of numbers. :blink:

 

Which is just another reason why I take stats lightly otherwise I overheat. :p

 

 

 

yea stats suck sometime specialy the ones u dont understand and just play around like i know what wghsq is man thats like basic baseball then ur thinking wtf is this

 

What stat confuses you? Maybe we can help. :mischief

 

 

yes i have a confession

rab erick gofish i do not kno what WHIP is i scrach my head like a monkey but its like i just started llearning stats last year cuz i had to do a score book as a pitcher

Walks +Hits per Inning. It is a good way to see how many guys a pitcher puts on base per inning.

 

And GoFish, I just really like them. They help me intricately understand what is going on in a game.

 

Thats cool Rab.

 

I generally try to watch the game and enjoy it, which is why I dont try to focus so much on the stats, but every once in a while I do use them.

  • Author

haha!

 

You asked for 3 people MrMarlin and all 3 quickly responded. LMAO!

 

 

yep im VIP lol well u guys are all smart and wanted to teach me i thank u guys for that but some 1 get me my whip please

walks plus hits divided by innings pitched generally designated for a late bullpen man or closer.

No, it's used for everyone. But it depends on what position someone holds for what it should be. A starter is probably going to have a larger one than a closer.

 

I said generally used not always meaning SP could be part of it sorry I didn't clarify.

 

Most of the time when you look at WHIP you look at a bullpen pitcher or closer, at least I do.

haha!

 

You asked for 3 people MrMarlin and all 3 quickly responded. LMAO!

 

 

yep im VIP lol well u guys are all smart and wanted to teach me i thank u guys for that but some 1 get me my whip please

 

Your WHIP is 0.64 Brad Lidge like I believe.

  • Author

haha!

 

You asked for 3 people MrMarlin and all 3 quickly responded. LMAO!

 

 

yep im VIP lol well u guys are all smart and wanted to teach me i thank u guys for that but some 1 get me my whip please

 

Your WHIP is 0.64 Brad Lidge like I believe.

 

yes ima a stud outta the bullpen i should pitch 4 a sh*tty team like houston man

 

who has the best WHIP in baseball

haha!

 

You asked for 3 people MrMarlin and all 3 quickly responded. LMAO!

 

 

yep im VIP lol well u guys are all smart and wanted to teach me i thank u guys for that but some 1 get me my whip please

 

Your WHIP is 0.64 Brad Lidge like I believe.

 

yes ima a stud outta the bullpen i should pitch 4 a sh*tty team like houston man

 

who has the best WHIP in baseball

 

No idea bro that's more detailed and would involve me looking some things up, Erick or Rab most likely Rab knows. (In fact I am almost certain he has a hint if nothing else)

  • Author

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

Currently or in history?

  • Author

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

Currently or in history?

 

 

currnetly please

walks plus hits divided by innings pitched generally designated for a late bullpen man or closer.

No, it's used for everyone. But it depends on what position someone holds for what it should be. A starter is probably going to have a larger one than a closer.

 

I said generally used not always meaning SP could be part of it sorry I didn't clarify.

 

Most of the time when you look at WHIP you look at a bullpen pitcher or closer, at least I do.

I use it for all pitchers.

 

The way I see it, a baseball fan should know how to use, compare, and understand 5 (or 6) basic stats. Now, this is not all that you should know, but this is the basic.

 

Pitching: ERA and WHIP. Everyone knows what an ERA is, it is a good way to see how many runs someone gives up. On the other side, it should always be used with WHIP. WHIP tells you how many baserunners the pitcher allows. If someone has an ERA in the 3.00s but a WHIP in the 1.400s, that is a lucky man. A low WHIP is very important, as the one thing a pitcher wants more than anything is to keep men off base.

 

Batting: BA/AVG, OBP (On-Base Percentage), SLG (Slugging Percentage), and OPS. Once again, BA (AKA AVG) everyone knows, it's how many hits someone gets on average. .333 means 1 hit in 3 ABs. It's a pretty terrible stat, but you should know it. OBP is how much a man gets on base. This is about the most important thing a batter must do. He must get on base. SLG is a good for telling you how much power a guy has. It basically is Total Bases over At Bats. OPS is just OBP + SLG. It's a good way to quickly measure a player overall performance. If you ever see 3 numbers like .333/.333/.333, that's BA/OBP/SLG.

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

Currently or in history?

 

 

currnetly please

Oakland's Duchscherer with 0.890 WHIP leads the majors.

Arizona's Haren with 0.950 WHIP leads the NL.

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

 

You guys make it seem like Rab actually knows this stuff off the top of his head. The same exact information is available to you the way he finds them. The internet

 

And I know I've stepped into this thread late, but I couldn't help but :lol at GoFishX2 saying "stats don't matter".

 

Answer me this then, GoFishX2. If stats don't matter, why do you post your "game thread record" in your signature. That's a stat.

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

I'm not a nerd, I'm a geek. Get it right.

 

And I'm not the God of Stats. That would be Nny as far as anyone on this board is concerned.

  • Author

walks plus hits divided by innings pitched generally designated for a late bullpen man or closer.

No, it's used for everyone. But it depends on what position someone holds for what it should be. A starter is probably going to have a larger one than a closer.

 

I said generally used not always meaning SP could be part of it sorry I didn't clarify.

 

Most of the time when you look at WHIP you look at a bullpen pitcher or closer, at least I do.

I use it for all pitchers.

 

The way I see it, a baseball fan should know how to use, compare, and understand 5 (or 6) basic stats. Now, this is not all that you should know, but this is the basic.

 

Pitching: ERA and WHIP. Everyone knows what an ERA is, it is a good way to see how many runs someone gives up. On the other side, it should always be used with WHIP. WHIP tells you how many baserunners the pitcher allows. If someone has an ERA in the 3.00s but a WHIP in the 1.400s, that is a lucky man. A low WHIP is very important, as the one thing a pitcher wants more than anything is to keep men off base.

 

Batting: BA/AVG, OBP (On-Base Percentage), SLG (Slugging Percentage), and OPS. Once again, BA (AKA AVG) everyone knows, it's how many hits someone gets on average. .333 means 1 hit in 3 ABs. It's a pretty terrible stat, but you should know it. OBP is how much a man gets on base. This is about the most important thing a batter must do. He must get on base. SLG is a good for telling you how much power a guy has. It basically is Total Bases over At Bats. OPS is just OBP + SLG. It's a good way to quickly measure a player overall performance. If you ever see 3 numbers like .333/.333/.333, that's BA/OBP/SLG.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

u lost me after On Base Percentage

man that formuler is crazy rab u could make a living as a professional statition and do a better job then the money that give cantu and error for a play that the 1st baseman could have picked

  • Author

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

I'm not a nerd, I'm a geek. Get it right.

 

And I'm not the God of Stats. That would be Nny as far as anyone on this board is concerned.

 

 

never met him

an thats Mr Geek for you now

  • Author

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

Currently or in history?

 

 

currnetly please

Oakland's Duchscherer with 0.890 WHIP leads the majors.

Arizona's Haren with 0.950 WHIP leads the NL.

 

haha yes i have them both on my fantasy team

thank rab aka Sargent General Mr Geek

  • Author

Rab do u kno who has the best WHIP not calling u a nerd but ur like a God of Stats and i would come to u for something like this

 

You guys make it seem like Rab actually knows this stuff off the top of his head. The same exact information is available to you the way he finds them. The internet

 

And I know I've stepped into this thread late, but I couldn't help but :lol at GoFishX2 saying "stats don't matter".

 

Answer me this then, GoFishX2. If stats don't matter, why do you post your "game thread record" in your signature. That's a stat.

 

 

aww danm u got him there but he was like putting stats aside for the agruement but no matter what baseball is all about stats and the is no denying it

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.