Son of Tenn. Democrat indicted in Palin hacking

FreshFish

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iem-vu_...ciRm7wD93MJ6N80

Son of Tenn. Democrat indicted in Palin hacking

By DUNCAN MANSFIELD ? Oct 8, 2008

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) ? The son of a Democratic Tennessee state lawmaker pleaded not guilty Wednesday to hacking the e-mail account of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

David Kernell, 20, of Knoxville, Tenn. entered the plea in federal court in Knoxville, the same day prosecutors unsealed an indictment charging him with intentionally accessing Palin's e-mail account without authorization.

Kernell, an economics student at the University of Tennessee, was brought into court wearing handcuffs and shackles on his ankles.

He was released without posting bond, but the court limited his computer use to checking his own e-mail and doing class work.

Kernell's father is longtime state Rep. Mike Kernell of Memphis, chairman of Tennessee's House Government Operations Committee. The lawmaker has said he had nothing to do with the hacking incident.

David Kernell was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury in Knoxville and faces a maximum of five years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised release. Trial is set for Dec. 16.

The investigation is continuing. The indictment said at least one other person successfully reset Palin's e-mail password and accessed her e-mail account after the hacker named "rubico," whom the government contends is Kernell, posted his exploits on the Web.

"I wouldn't say specifically whether that other individual may be charged or not," Justice Department spokeswoman Laura Sweeney said from Washington.

U.S. Magistrate Judge C. Clifford Shirley restricted Kernell from discussing the case with any potential witnesses, which include his roommates.

Kernell was also restricted from having any contact directly or indirectly with the Alaska governor or her family.

Shirley warned that if Kernell violated any part of his release conditions, he would be held until the trial.

Kernell's attorney, Wade Davies, accompanied his client in court.

"As soon as we found out about the charges this morning, David voluntarily turned himself in," said Davies, who refused to answer any other questions.

The indictment alleges that on Sept. 16 Kernell reset the password to Palin's personal e-mail account to gain access to it. Authorities say Kernell then read the contents of the account and made screenshots of the e-mail directory, e-mail content and other personal information, later posting some of the information to a public Web site.

not very smart to try to hack the account of one of the presidential ticket candidates

Wow, you don't get when I'm trying to make a point, huh? What the kid did was certainly criminal, but Palin put herself in the position to have her e-mail hacked. So what I was saying is that the two share the blame, because if she hadn't made the questions so damn easy, the kid probably would have never been able to hack into it.

Wow, you don't get when I'm trying to make a point, huh? What the kid did was certainly criminal, but Palin put herself in the position to have her e-mail hacked. So what I was saying is that the two share the blame, because if she hadn't made the questions so damn easy, the kid probably would have never been able to hack into it.

No I get your point. You're blaming the victim. That's like blaming a rape victim for the criminal act of another because the girl was dressed too provocatively.

In the world of IT security, that's usually how it works. You don't protect yourself properly, you're gonna pay for it sooner or later.

Nice attempt at trying to differntiate the victim of one crime from another, but at the end of the day, it isn't the victim's fault when they're victimized.

See it's funny to me that no one else here has jumped on your blame the victime mentality. I suspect it has to do with the reason that your using that logic to bash Palin.

Any IT guy will tell you that what she did (or didn't do) was like someone who leaves their keys in their car and gets it stolen. I don't think BullDurham was "bashing" Palin as much as just making a statement.

Or like walking alone at night in a skimpy dress. You may be putting yourself at risk, but you can't blame the victim for the criminal acts of others.