A pro-stadium letter in the Herald

fanfish

This was in the editorial page of the Herald on 11/15/2008

Benefits of a new ballpark

Re Fred Grimm's Nov. 13 column, Stadium plan won't rev up economy: I have been involved with numerous ballpark projects across the country as a consultant to Major League Baseball and several of its clubs. Repeatedly I have heard these arguments that claim no economic benefits can result from sports teams and their new facilities. I can agree with one statement, however, that Grimm includes from an economist: ``Our argument just doesn't win.''

Many public-sector supporters of new facilities are thoughtful and deliberative in evaluating the tangible and intangible benefits. They perform due diligence, compare projects with their peers and negotiate hard. They visit other major-league cities to understand firsthand what impacts the facilities have had on other communities, states and regions. They base decisions on facts as opposed to relying on economic theories.

The new ballpark in Miami will be a first-class facility that is fully climatized with a retractable roof, air conditioning, grass playing field, 37,000 seats and amenities similar to the MLB ballparks in San Diego, St. Louis, Houston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee.

The new ballpark will improve attendance by providing certainty that games will start on time, without rain-outs or rain delays. The other four clubs with retractable roofs (Phoenix, Houston, Seattle and Milwaukee) have clearly enjoyed the benefits of providing weather protection for their fans.

The new ballpark offers ample opportunities for other developments on the site. It will use about 17 acres of the 42-acre site. The balance will be used by local government for a multi-use parking facility of at least 6,000 spaces for retail and for other uses to be determined, possibly including a hotel. Then there is the potential for development on surrounding parcels, similar to Denver, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

The new ballpark will generate 1,500 construction jobs over three years, and hundreds of permanent jobs will come thereafter. Major League Baseball will bring the Baseball Academy to Hialeah in conjunction with the new ballpark, and the future All-Star Games and World Baseball Classic that will be played in Miami will generate millions of dollars in economic impact. These are facts that Miami Herald readers should know about the new Miami ballpark -- not just losing arguments.

ROBERT STARKEY, president, Starkey Sports Consulting, Minneapolis

While every letter supporting the new stadium is much appreciated, it doesn't exactly speak well for the good people of Miami when an outsider (from Minneapolis, no less) feels compelled to express himself, suggesting he doesn't see enough going on with the issue. I've written dozens of letters to just about every party/media group involved in the debacle, but I sincerely hope that others are doing the same.

While every letter supporting the new stadium is much appreciated, it doesn't exactly speak well for the good people of Miami when an outsider (from Minneapolis, no less) feels compelled to express himself, suggesting he doesn't see enough going on with the issue. I've written dozens of letters to just about every party/media group involved in the debacle, but I sincerely hope that others are doing the same.

Tell me where to send these letters and trust me, I'll join you!

Pinch me, I'm dreaming! I've read some articles in the Herald that are so anti-stadium it frustrates me. They've made Braman into a hero so to see articles like this...it's uplifting! By the way, tell me where to send them, and I'll start writing the letters now. I want this stadium!!!! :thumbup

How to send letters, columns to the Herald

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

The Herald values its readers' letters. We receive far more than we can print, so we try to publish the most representative, interesting, and provocative. To give more readers a say, we condense letters. And we do not publish letter writers more often than once per 60 days. Letters must bear the writer's name, full address, and daytime phone number.

Fax: (305) 376-8950

Mail:

The Readers' Forum

The Miami Herald

One Herald Plaza

Miami, Florida 33132-1693

E-mail: HeraldEd@MiamiHerald.com

Pinch me, I'm dreaming! I've read some articles in the Herald that are so anti-stadium it frustrates me. They've made Braman into a hero so to see articles like this...it's uplifting! By the way, tell me where to send them, and I'll start writing the letters now. I want this stadium!!!! :thumbup

How to send letters, columns to the Herald

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

The Herald values its readers' letters. We receive far more than we can print, so we try to publish the most representative, interesting, and provocative. To give more readers a say, we condense letters. And we do not publish letter writers more often than once per 60 days. Letters must bear the writer's name, full address, and daytime phone number.

Fax: (305) 376-8950

Mail:

The Readers' Forum

The Miami Herald

One Herald Plaza

Miami, Florida 33132-1693

E-mail: HeraldEd@MiamiHerald.com

Thanks, I'll start now!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.