Renteria signs with Giants

Puma

From Rotoworld (through WFAN New York)

WFAN in New York reports that the Giants have agreed to terms with Edgar Renteria on a two-year, $18 million contract.

Renteria became a free agent when the Tigers declined his $12 million option for 2009 and reportedly will now replace Omar Vizquel in San Francisco. Renteria has declined defensively and hit just .270/.317/.382 last season for his lowest OPS since 2001, but a return to the NL in 2006 helped rejuvenate his career after he flopped with the Red Sox. Counting on another bounce back is iffy given that he's now 33 years old, but at $9 million per season on a two-year commitment he's a decent value

WFAN in New York reports that the Giants have agreed to terms with Edgar Renteria on a two-year, $18 million contract.

Renteria became a free agent when the Tigers declined his $12 million option for 2009 and reportedly will now replace Omar Vizquel in San Francisco. Renteria has declined defensively and hit just .270/.317/.382 last season for his lowest OPS since 2001, but a return to the NL in 2006 helped rejuvenate his career after he flopped with the Red Sox. Counting on another bounce back is iffy given that he's now 33 years old, but at $9 million per season on a two-year commitment he's a decent value

Blargh

w/ Boston .276 .335 .385 - OPS+ of 89

w/ St Louis, the year before... .287 .327 .401 - OPS+ of 88

if anything, he flopped with St Louis

Blargh

w/ Boston .276 .335 .385 - OPS+ of 89

w/ St Louis, the year before... .287 .327 .401 - OPS+ of 88

if anything, he flopped with St Louis

eh, it's Rotoworld.

Congrats to Renteria, he just signed up for a 90+ loss season

You won't be saying that if they end up with Sabathia.

because they won't >_>

6 years, $140 million

that says it all

who cares if he wants to stay on the west coast, that kind of money talks and a title opportunity talks even more. He knows he won't be on a great team in San Fran

I don't care what anyone says...the NL West is winnable.

If Sabathia somehow lands with the Giants...they won't have to score too many runs with 2 aces and a guy like Cain as a #3. That'd be the best rotation in the NL, imo.

Plus, the division became more winnable now that Chad Billingsley apparently broke his leg.

He has not signed

A report that Edgar Renteria had signed a deal with the Giants is apparently false.

Earlier in the day, New York radio station WFAN reported that the Giants had signed Renteria to a two-year contract worth $18 million, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN and the San Francisco Chronicle's Henry Schulman have both reported the report is false.

Crasnick said that he had spoken to agent Barry Meister and the shortstop is home in Colombia. Schulman underscored the disputed report with a call to the Giants front office and was told the report was untrue.

The Giants have been looking to the free-agent market to upgrade at shortstop and have been interested in Renteria and Rafael Furcal.

Mike Scarr is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

He has not signed

A report that Edgar Renteria had signed a deal with the Giants is apparently false.

Earlier in the day, New York radio station WFAN reported that the Giants had signed Renteria to a two-year contract worth $18 million, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN and the San Francisco Chronicle's Henry Schulman have both reported the report is false.

Crasnick said that he had spoken to agent Barry Meister and the shortstop is home in Colombia. Schulman underscored the disputed report with a call to the Giants front office and was told the report was untrue.

The Giants have been looking to the free-agent market to upgrade at shortstop and have been interested in Renteria and Rafael Furcal.

Mike Scarr is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Ah, ok. Nevermind.

Sabathia wouldn't be looking for a team just to go to the playoffs with, he would want to go to a title contender. The Giants are no WS contender.

The Giants wouldn't even be a playoff contender.

If you read this thread, you'd know that is what i have been saying the whole time :banghead

Sabathia wouldn't be looking for a team just to go to the playoffs with, he would want to go to a title contender. The Giants are no WS contender.

If you read this thread, you'd know that is what i have been saying the whole time :banghead

I read this whole thread. What you're saying is that if the Giants picked up C.C., he would practically make them a playoff team, which he wouldn't. At least not by himself.

I read this whole thread. What you're saying is that if the Giants picked up C.C., he would practically make them a playoff team, which he wouldn't. At least not by himself.

Dim didn't say that; I did.

And I didn't call them a playoff team...I called them a playoff contender in the mediocre NL West.

Never said Giants are a playoff team. Look at my first post. I said Sabathia would want to go to a championship contender, that is all i said. And that the Giants wouldn't fit the bill.

Never said Giants are a playoff team. Look at my first post. I said Sabathia would want to go to a championship contender, that is all i said. And that the Giants wouldn't fit the bill.

Judging by his first post, we were talking about the Giants at the time. Once you said "he wouldn't be looking for a team just to go to the playoffs with", I thought you meant the Giants would just make the playoffs.

It doesn't matter though. Just a pointless argument.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.