Would the Tigers have an interest in Amezaga?

Backin2008

I have read recently that the Tigers are looking for a veteran type shortstop to share playing time with Ramon Santiago. Amezaga is Miguel Cabrera's pal and the Tigers also have an interest in Matt Treanor. I'm not thinking the Marlins would get a great return for Amezaga and Treanor but it might be something worth looking into.

I was under the impression the Tigers were looking for more of an every day shortstop. They've shown interest in Lugo and I'm sure Furcal is on their radar. Amezega's bat wouldn't hold up for 450 AB's plus trading him now isn't a good idea. His only immediate replacements (Bonifacio and Andino) wouldn't equal his production or versatility. If we did move him this offseason, it would be pure salary dump and, like you said, we wouldn't get much in the return. I doubt the fact that Amezega and Cabrera being BFF's will be a deciding factor in a trade with Detroit either.

As for Treanor, do you have a source for the Tigers showing interest in him? And unless we acquire a better candidate to back up Baker before this off season ends, Treanor is our best option (at least to start the season with).

For a team like the Fish, a guy who can play seven positions (at least lol) is invaluable. If I say there is almost no price tag you could afix to him I mean it in the figurative sense and the Marlins have been asked over and over about his availability and they've refused. I don't think his modest pay increase this year will diminish his value to the club, and that will remain the case until someone comes along who shows he can do what AA does at least as well.

I was under the impression the Tigers were looking for more of an every day shortstop. They've shown interest in Lugo and I'm sure Furcal is on their radar. Amezega's bat wouldn't hold up for 450 AB's plus trading him now isn't a good idea. His only immediate replacements (Bonifacio and Andino) wouldn't equal his production or versatility. If we did move him this offseason, it would be pure salary dump and, like you said, we wouldn't get much in the return. I doubt the fact that Amezega and Cabrera being BFF's will be a deciding factor in a trade with Detroit either.

As for Treanor, do you have a source for the Tigers showing interest in him? And unless we acquire a better candidate to back up Baker before this off season ends, Treanor is our best option (at least to start the season with).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove08/c...&id=3728385

The above article mentions the Tigers interest in Treanor but I'm not completely sure if its real or just ESPN speculation.

I also think you're right when you wrote that, "the Tigers were looking for more of an every day shortstop." I'm pretty sure that they cover that in the article.

His only immediate replacements (Bonifacio and Andino) wouldn't equal his production or versatility.

I disagree completely. EB and Andino could probably very easily replicate a .650 OPS, and both of them would be able to handle the 5th OF spot that Amezaga has. EB basically was Amezaga last year, and if the idea is he is younger and going to get better, there is a rather immediate upgrade. I'd have no problems with a McPherson/G. Sanchez, Helms, Bonifacio, and Andino bench, assuming Dallas or Cantu could slum in LF here and there.

There was a report linking Treanor to the Pirates, who would then ship him to the Tigers, but it was quickly debunked by Ken Rosenthal. Still, if the Tigers want them, by all means. I just find this unlikely because why would you want guys with .700 OPS potential getting 400 PA each. That is a recipe for disaster.

For a team like the Fish, a guy who can play seven positions (at least lol) is invaluable. If I say there is almost no price tag you could afix to him I mean it in the figurative sense and the Marlins have been asked over and over about his availability and they've refused. I don't think his modest pay increase this year will diminish his value to the club, and that will remain the case until someone comes along who shows he can do what AA does at least as well.

Sure, this is all true, but to show the other side, Amezaga is a luxury right now and we do have capable replacements. Bonifacio and Andino could easily be 3rd and 4th middle infielders/5th outfielders/defense/speed bench players. I'd say he is clearly available if the asking price is right, because unlike Hermida or Uggla (Coghlin, Raynor, Cousins, etc all can go to AAA for a year), we have immediate in house replacements. Plus let's face it. How much impact does Amezaga have? It's really minimal once you ignore the intangibility scale. And further, and this is a footnote point, if Andino doesn't make the team we lose him. Not the end of the world but we're both on the same page here that it would be nice to keep him in some capacity and see if he can develop into something.

I agree with you, but the reasoning is no one is giving us anything more thanJesus Delgado for him in the offseason (trade deadline all bets off), so we should keep him because no one is giving us anything that upgrades our team short or long term. We should absolutely move him if we get something we exactly need, like a solid young platoon partner for Baker, a young left handed 1B/LF, or a decent 3B prospect for AA/AAA. But that is highly doubtful. No dumps for P.J. Dean.

I have read that the Tigers are now looking at Alex Cora to platoon with Santiago at shortstop. All I'm saying is that Amezaga is at least equal to Cora and Treanor is someone that the Tigers might be interested in so that they can move Brandon Inge back to 3B. To move Inge to 3B they want a cheap veteran to back up rookie Dusty Ryan. Don't get me wrong, I like Amezaga's versatility in the field but what he does with the bat could be easily replaced. Treanor would be absolutely no loss at all.

I have read that the Tigers are now looking at Alex Cora to platoon with Santiago at shortstop. All I'm saying is that Amezaga is at least equal to Cora and Treanor is someone that the Tigers might be interested in so that they can move Brandon Inge back to 3B. To move Inge to 3B they want a cheap veteran to back up rookie Dusty Ryan. Don't get me wrong, I like Amezaga's versatility in the field but what he does with the bat could be easily replaced. Treanor would be absolutely no loss at all.

Why would they want to move Inge back to 3rd?

Because the Tigers want to lose.

They are moving Guillen to LF. They are hilarious.

Because the Tigers want to lose.

They are moving Guillen to LF. They are hilarious.

That is kind of funny Lou. I'm not a fan of platoons but Marcus Thames and Matt Joyce would hit a lot of homers sharing LF for the Tigers. I guess they are just trying to find a position where Guillen won't get hurt playing.

You have to realize that at this point, barring any upgrades through a trade, Treanor is our best option to be used as a right-handed platoon partner with Baker entering the season. It is extremely unlikely that Hayes will make the team right out of spring training, and we've already traded away our best pieces in Olsen, Gregg, Willingham, and Jacobs. Not to mention the condition of the catching market, which makes an acquisition of a better candidate (whether through trade or free agency) even less likely.

I could be wrong and the Marlins could somehow sign Pudge to a nice 1yr/2 million dollar deal, but I doubt that will happen.

A platoon of Baker/Treanor is not the worst thing in the world. Offensively, it's not unreasonable to expect a combined line of .260/.330/.750 from the two of them (with Baker starting about 125 games).

You have to realize that at this point, barring any upgrades through a trade, Treanor is our best option to be used as a right-handed platoon partner with Baker entering the season. It is extremely unlikely that Hayes will make the team right out of spring training, and we've already traded away our best pieces in Olsen, Gregg, Willingham, and Jacobs. Not to mention the condition of the catching market, which makes an acquisition of a better candidate (whether through trade or free agency) even less likely.

I could be wrong and the Marlins could somehow sign Pudge to a nice 1yr/2 million dollar deal, but I doubt that will happen.

A platoon of Baker/Treanor is not the worst thing in the world. Offensively, it's not unreasonable to expect a combined line of .260/.330/.750 from the two of them (with Baker starting about 125 games).

Treanor hits like a pitcher. It would not be hard to find a much better player than him relatively cheap. It's not hard to replace a player with a career batting average of .237 who has a .639 OPS. The fact that Treanor is the best platoon player for Baker in the organization tells you quite a bit about the Marlins and the catcher position. Michael Barrett and Josh Bard come to mind.

His only immediate replacements (Bonifacio and Andino) wouldn't equal his production or versatility.

I disagree completely. EB and Andino could probably very easily replicate a .650 OPS, and both of them would be able to handle the 5th OF spot that Amezaga has. EB basically was Amezaga last year, and if the idea is he is younger and going to get better, there is a rather immediate upgrade. I'd have no problems with a McPherson/G. Sanchez, Helms, Bonifacio, and Andino bench, assuming Dallas or Cantu could slum in LF here and there.

There was a report linking Treanor to the Pirates, who would then ship him to the Tigers, but it was quickly debunked by Ken Rosenthal. Still, if the Tigers want them, by all means. I just find this unlikely because why would you want guys with .700 OPS potential getting 400 PA each. That is a recipe for disaster.

I don't doubt for a second that EB was acquired specifically to be the future replacement for Amezaga. Keeping Alfredo around past the 2009 season wouldn't make any sense for this team. The salary he would command in 2010 combined with his age would certainly make him a luxury at that point.

As for right now, EB is unproven and Andino is yet to show he is even capable of a .650 OPS (see career .549 OPS). Neither of them are as versatile as AA, nor can they be counted on as credible defensive 5th outfielders. Andino will give you decent defense in the infield but is still largely untested in the outfield. Just recently, we're hearing reports of EB playing OF in Winter ball. Not only is Amezaga proven and capable of playing all three outfield positions, he plays them well. By carrying both Andino and Bonifacio, you're using up two roster spots to do the job Amezaga can do by occupying one. Carrying both of them also negates a chance at having a legitamate 4th outfielder, instead of banking on one of Cantu or Dallas to work out.

I don't doubt for a second that EB was acquired specifically to be the future replacement for Amezaga. Keeping Alfredo around past the 2009 season wouldn't make any sense for this team. The salary he would command in 2010 combined with his age would certainly make him a luxury at that point.

As for right now, EB is unproven and Andino is yet to show he is even capable of a .650 OPS (see career .549 OPS). Neither of them are as versatile as AA, nor can they be counted on as credible defensive 5th outfielders. Andino will give you decent defense in the infield but is still largely untested in the outfield. Just recently, we're hearing reports of EB playing OF in Winter ball. Not only is Amezaga proven and capable of playing all three outfield positions, he plays them well. By carrying both Andino and Bonifacio, you're using up two roster spots to do the job Amezaga can do by occupying one. Carrying both of them also negates a chance at having a legitamate 4th outfielder, instead of banking on one of Cantu or Dallas to work out.

Disagree. The team pretty much needs to carry two middle infielders so they can actually use the other player in a game and not have to perpetually have someone benched just in case something happens to Hanley or Uggla. This was different in the past when Amezaga had to play CF all the time and was already in the game. Saying "carrying 2 guys because 1 guy in Amezaga can do it: is just wrong here because of that "not in the game" issue. We're wasting everything Amezaga is by having him be the only middle infielder on the bench. And it's that reason why we need to find out if Cantu/McPherson can play LF because you totally identified the problem with this team not having a 4th OF option. If they can't do it, Cantu must be traded and a 1B/LF brought in, OR, Sanchez needs to start the year in AAA and the team acquires a LF (or promotes Raynor, and that is an idea I hate).

Secondly, EB and Andino would be just as versatile in the infield, and would be more than adequate as 5th outfielders (remember when Amezaga went out there, first time ever. Gonna be fine). EB was pretty solid in his AB last year, and Andino has yet to be seen but he has shown a 3 year improvement in the minors. Sure it's not as proven as a .650 OPS for three years, but who cares. What the hell is a proven .650 OPS! Not a big deal here when it's nominal production for the last dude on your bench. We can afford Amezaga, but we just don't need him. He's a luxury.

Disagree. The team pretty much needs to carry two middle infielders so they can actually use the other player in a game and not have to perpetually have someone benched just in case something happens to Hanley or Uggla. This was different in the past when Amezaga had to play CF all the time and was already in the game. Saying "carrying 2 guys because 1 guy in Amezaga can do it: is just wrong here because of that "not in the game" issue. We're wasting everything Amezaga is by having him be the only middle infielder on the bench. And it's that reason why we need to find out if Cantu/McPherson can play LF because you totally identified the problem with this team not having a 4th OF option. If they can't do it, Cantu must be traded and a 1B/LF brought in, OR, Sanchez needs to start the year in AAA and the team acquires a LF (or promotes Raynor, and that is an idea I hate).

Secondly, EB and Andino would be just as versatile in the infield, and would be more than adequate as 5th outfielders (remember when Amezaga went out there, first time ever. Gonna be fine). EB was pretty solid in his AB last year, and Andino has yet to be seen but he has shown a 3 year improvement in the minors. Sure it's not as proven as a .650 OPS for three years, but who cares. What the hell is a proven .650 OPS! Not a big deal here when it's nominal production for the last dude on your bench. We can afford Amezaga, but we just don't need him. He's a luxury.

Easy there Lou. The Marlins don't need to trade Cantu who is a proven major leaguer to make room for Sanchez and McPherson. Cantu deserves to start every day at either 1B or 3B period. You can bring in a 4th outfielder in free agency relatively cheap or you can make a minor trade for one. Moving Treanor and Amezaga to the Tigers could get you one of their cheap outfielders like Brett Clevlen or Ryan Raburn who could easily fill that role.

Tiger fan here...longtime viewer, first time poster.

I dont see how Amezaga helps us out beyond what Ramon Santiago does, and Ramon doesnt cost as much as Amezaga will post arbitration.

Treanor, I personally dont want him but if he can help Ryan settle in then sure. If the cost is Clevlen go for it.

Also, Carlos Guillen is going to left because he keeps getting hurt at short, played first like a little leaguer, and struggles at third. They are trying to hide him and keep him healthy. I myself prefer that they try to dangle him and fill their needs or put him back at short with Joyce/Thames in left.

Inge has already been moved back to third. He may not hit well but he is a gold glove caliber third baseman. Dusty Ryan right now is the catcher but its expected they will add some one to start over him or share with him.

Tiger fan here...longtime viewer, first time poster.

I dont see how Amezaga helps us out beyond what Ramon Santiago does, and Ramon doesnt cost as much as Amezaga will post arbitration.

Treanor, I personally dont want him but if he can help Ryan settle in then sure. If the cost is Clevlen go for it.

Also, Carlos Guillen is going to left because he keeps getting hurt at short, played first like a little leaguer, and struggles at third. They are trying to hide him and keep him healthy. I myself prefer that they try to dangle him and fill their needs or put him back at short with Joyce/Thames in left.

Inge has already been moved back to third. He may not hit well but he is a gold glove caliber third baseman. Dusty Ryan right now is the catcher but its expected they will add some one to start over him or share with him.

Getting Amezaga would make Miguel Cabrera very happy as they are best buddies. It appears that the Tigers are talking to Alex Cora which means they are looking for a SS. Santiago is far from a proven major leaguer as last season was the first that he's shown any life at all with the bat.

Theres alot of rumors out there over the Tigers next shortstop. The problem is that Cale Iorg is the man Dave Dombrowski wants in there for 2010. The other names being thrown around are, via trade- Lugo (for Willis, Salary dump), Khalil Greene, and Jack Wilson. The Tigers are low on cash so Furcal wont work but Alex Cora will come cheaper and could share with Santiago. He wouldnt cost any players coming back.

The Tigers already also have prospect Danny Worth near ready and they may just go with him for a year, I also doubt if Amezaga's friendship would play a role in a trade.

It seems as if Amezaga carrys value as a utillity player and would likley cost more then we'd want to pony up.

Treanor for Clevlen works, as Brent is out of options.

Theres alot of rumors out there over the Tigers next shortstop. The problem is that Cale Iorg is the man Dave Dombrowski wants in there for 2010. The other names being thrown around are, via trade- Lugo (for Willis, Salary dump), Khalil Greene, and Jack Wilson. The Tigers are low on cash so Furcal wont work but Alex Cora will come cheaper and could share with Santiago. He wouldnt cost any players coming back.

The Tigers already also have prospect Danny Worth near ready and they may just go with him for a year, I also doubt if Amezaga's friendship would play a role in a trade.

It seems as if Amezaga carrys value as a utillity player and would likley cost more then we'd want to pony up.

Treanor for Clevlen works, as Brent is out of options.

I wish you were the GM of the Tigers Vannzee because I would jump for a Clevlen for Treanor deal.

I like Clevlen alot but are starting outfield is set with Magglio/Granderson and Guillen, Thames and Raburn are the likley back ups so Joyce may be back down in AAA. Clevlen is just too low on the depth chart and would have to clear waivers.

He is a excellent defender and a fine AAA hitter, but he hasnt hit much when up yet. Having a need at catcher, trading a out of options player for a potential hole filler is a do-able deal.

Or maybe Clevlen and RP Freddy Dolsi for Amezega, thats about all the Tigers would likley give for him.